Mens Tennis Forums banner

Your opinion?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the two European Slams coming up that I usually refer to as the "Stoneage Slams" because they both lack floodlight, I think this is the right timing for this thread. While Wimbledon maybe has an excuse because the sissy surface known as grass doesn't enjoy too much tennis at once, the reasons for the lack of floodlight at RG are much more mundane: The neighbors don't like it.

In my honest opinion floodlight is an absolute must-have, particularly at Slams. With the amount of matches played, there are always going to be longer ones that will eventually result in matches getting delayed over two days. Also the situation where players want to finish there matches that day but have to play in dubious light conditions therefore, is a disgraceful one at that level.
To add my personal view to this unbiased analysis, I just love floodlight clay matches, IMO there's nothing better than those occasions in MC and Rome. The ugly factory hall in Mugdrid obviously doesn't count in that regard and that also brings me to the other point of this thread which is roofs:

I hate roofs and in my opinion they completely ruin outdoor events by destroying the outdoor atmosphere entirely. There are roofs I like, Hamburg for instance (I can't recall another one), but generally I hate them for the abovementioned reason.
Also it's a matter of fairness, top players can finish their matches whereas the players on the outside courts still have to wait which creates an unfair advantage for those who are allowed to play on the roofed ones. One argument can be made that roofs help in the latter stages of tournaments that are basically played on one or two courts anyway, but is that enough to turn an outdoor event into an indoor one? I don't think so.

Anyway, roofs ensure the TV coverage and money, so it's inevitable that Slams continue "upgrading" their courts I believe.

Your thoughts? :wavey:

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Good thread, definitely agree they are very ancient.

But doesn't Wimbledon have lights on CC? Till 11 PM there can be play with lights, but indeed other courts don't have lights there in London, afaik.

RG? Of course, doesn't have lights anywhere at all. That's why I am more angry with the French.

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
It's more likely RG tried to go for floodlights and were stopped than avoid them out of a sense of traditionalism. Maybe having a roof next year will change the rules about lighting. We'll see.

·
10,284 Posts
I'm sure there are probably some fans ou there who have the liquid funds to just set up some lights in the next 24-48 hours. They can hire a team and just set some up.

I thought clay is supposed to be the battle surface.? The gladiators battle it out until they get tired and are scared of the dark and have to runaway from some water?

Cmon RG.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thread, definitely agree they are very ancient.

But doesn't Wimbledon have lights on CC? Till 11 PM there can be play with lights, but indeed other courts don't have lights there in London, afaik.

RG? Of course, doesn't have lights anywhere at all. That's why I am more angry with the French.
Yep, that's correct. I assume we're going to have the same situation at RG next year, because I don't think the combination roof without light is even possible.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Yep, that's correct. I assume we're going to have the same situation at RG next year, because I don't think the combination roof without light is even possible.
I think they will still stop playing at 21 in Paris the following years too, because of the decision of neighbourhood council. So even with roof, lights won't be used IMO, unless the municipality could convince the council in which RG facilities exist.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
I'm sure there are probably some fans ou there who have the liquid funds to just set up some lights in the next 24-48 hours. They can hire a team and just set some up.

I thought clay is supposed to be the battle surface.? The gladiators battle it out until they get tired and are scared of the dark and have to runaway from some water?

Cmon RG.
:haha: good

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
I would usually agree but the selfish part me thinks that if they are night sessions in RG that wouldn’t benefit me based on my time zone so :p

·
Your visions will happen
47,138 Posts
Obviously need both, it's 2019 ffs

As for the roof destroying the atmosphere of an outdoor event, yeah maybe. Maybe. But forever long rain delays ruin it more imo. And I would keep the roof always open unless raining.

What they did last year at Wimbledon kinda sucked. You had the match of the year with Nadal and Djokovic that had to be split up over two days and even the second day with beautiful sunlight they kept the roof closed to continue how it was before. I disagree. Open it up soon as you can

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I would like to ask anyone who would want floodlights if they live next to these stadiums? Would you?

There is only 1 roof i can understand and accept. While i find it stupid they cant play after a certain hour and on1 st sunday.
AO ive seen a hand full of times them shut. And while Usopen has very complicated weather they dont have conrfew.

So that leaves RG. Where is the most even playing field for everyone.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I think both are needed. To have matches broken up or not played due to rain and/or darkness/curfew is bad for the players.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
While Wimbledon maybe has an excuse because the sissy surface known as grass doesn't enjoy too much tennis at once...
To add my personal view to this unbiased analysis, I just love floodlight clay matches, IMO there's nothing better than those occasions in MC and Rome. The ugly factory hall in Mugdrid obviously doesn't count in that regard...

I love you. Taking words from my mind.

As for the analysis, I'm advocate for no roofs (your reasoning is spot on) and no floodlights, the reason being that playing long into the night throws off players body rhytm. Finishing a match at 1AM is not healthy especially when you need to play the next day.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I would like to ask anyone who would want floodlights if they live next to these stadiums? Would you?

There is only 1 roof i can understand and accept. While i find it stupid they cant play after a certain hour and on1 st sunday.

AO ive seen a hand full of times them shut. And while Usopen has very complicated weather they dont have conrfew.

So that leaves RG. Where is the most even playing field for everyone.
I live 100m from a stadium where national team plays football matches. Not a big deal really, it's few hours only. Why would RG be an issue, it's only 2 damn weeks of possibility that floodlights will be used.
I am sure there could be a....compensation...to make everyone happy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Against both. It's extremely egocentric and egoistic from fans to want both everywhere, all the time.

An outdoor tournament, is an outdoor tournament. Period. If it rains, so what ? We wait. How many tournaments actually got cancelled because of rain in the last 30 years ? Almost none. This is just about a generation of people unable to wait 2 minutes for the entertainment they think they deserve.

As for the lights, I'm not a fan of the fact that it allows some matches to finish that late. It fucks up with player's schedules, making some of them wait till 3 or 4 am to be in bed. I don't think many people would accept to wait for hours at work only to work during the evening and all that without knowing when they'll be home. I like the fact that there's a limit the players can count on.

But whatever.

The times are what they are and all those things are going to be done anyway.

The roof will be put on Chatrier just after this year's tournament and the Night sessions will begin in Roland Garros in 2021 (I do believe an agreement has been found with the neighbourhood).

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
RG is 15-day event nowadays, adding the third Sunday instead of skipping one as 13-day Wimb.

They were the first to try floodlights at the beginning of open era but discarded it quickly because it's summer with longer days.

[ame]https://youtu.be/CwbUQcj9CwI?t=18[/ame]

·
Registered
573 Posts
I hate roofs and in my opinion they completely ruin outdoor events by destroying the outdoor atmosphere entirely. There are roofs I like, Hamburg for instance (I can't recall another one), but generally I hate them for the abovementioned reason.
Also it's a matter of fairness, top players can finish their matches whereas the players on the outside courts still have to wait which creates an unfair advantage for those who are allowed to play on the roofed ones. One argument can be made that roofs help in the latter stages of tournaments that are basically played on one or two courts anyway, but is that enough to turn an outdoor event into an indoor one? I don't think so.
I really like roofs, since I appreciate indoor tennis. Basically, the absence of wind and sun allows for higher quality of play.

With that said, the potential for unfair scheduling is a legitimate problem, as you point out. The best solution is to equip a fair number of courts with roofs. With good enough facilities (let's say four courts with roof), the risk for anyone (top player or not) to fall behind schedule is fairly limited.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I can understand the arguments for roofs (although the only indoor event I really like is Rotterdam). But concerning floodlights, the players are humans after all, they better go to bed at some reasonable time and continue the next day than play tennis till 1AM or so.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
I understand the 'rest' claims and I agree, but until 11 PM seems reasonable, right? it doesn't have to be till 1 AM just because there is lights. So hopefuly French somehow convince the neighbourhood people and make it till 11PM, then I am satisfied.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I am sure all players would rather play until 1AM than wait the entire day in the locker room, not play at all, and then play Bo5 matches b2b without a day rest. So yes to floodlights and yes to roofs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts