Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Diego should’ve closed it out in 2 sets but got too scared of making errors. He almost threw away the match. Amazing how he went from no self esteem to top 10 clay player of 2000-2020.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Shapo is just a show pony jumping around and hitting the occasional spectacular winner and for each of those, two landed in the net. Entertaining, but pointless. For the simple-minded. Schwartzman is substance. Shapo is like young Monfils and the latter's career will also be the maximum for Crapoo.

·
Registered
293 Posts
good match especially the third set.
surprised Shapovalov was as consistent as he was. His clay play as greatly improved.
I am really sad that the winner gets less than 24 hours to recover.
We the spectators deserve 2 properly prepared players in the final.
I it really sad that tennis keeps putting finals under these conditions. Where one player is rested the other is not.
Amazing that this sport keeps calling these matches championship matches when the opponent are not given an equal chance to win.
And they get away with it.
advertising and Trumpy can sell anything.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thiem‘s smarter. Denis‘s a nice guy but very erratic and has to crush forehand winners to the corner just to stay in the match. It rattled him when he had to keep the ball in play.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cmon man, Thiem is 6 years older! When Thiem was 24yo he was exactly the same ballbasher as Shapo is today (21). Even worse! Eight meters behind baseline, no net-game at all, just insane ballbashing from far behind.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
As I expected, they delivered a spectacle and Diego won in 3 sets. What a thriller! A lot of incredible rallies, long games and breaks of serve (I stopped counting them). At the end the more stable player won, congrats to Diego on first big final! BTW I know I posted it before but Shapo's body language is so reminiscent of younger Nadal's, yikes!

Reactions: Denis denis

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Really great match, high quality overall, Diego just a bit more solid (or Shapo less so) towards the end.
Shame anyone had to lose tbh

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Something like Dominic Thiem was till 2017-2018? Don't underestimate this dude, I think he will be a great champion if he continue to work like this.
Like this comparison, I actually thought for the most part he was quite controlled today. Unfortunately, like Dominic's was, his default in a big moments is to try & smash winners from anywhere in the court, that's what ultimately cost him. On the right track though.

Reactions: Sara X

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I could only watch from the end of the second set and I must say that I really enjoyed the third set. I wanted Diego to win but I have been surprised in a very positive way with Denis's game on clay. He made a lot of progress and was very patient. It is the kind of match where both deserve to win and not to lose. Unfortunately, it was the longest match of the tournament, and I fear that Diego will run out of gas tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Diego already was gassed yesterday. He will lose 2 3 today.
It is curious how a guy without a serve made it to the final.
Such a good baseline game this guy has that it overcompensate his wta serve.
Shapovalov unable to finish him off. It was pretty obvious he would implode in the tiebreak.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I never thought we would see another midget at the top of the game since O. Rochus retired. Schwartzman not only reached the highest echelon of tennis, he obliterated the Belgian with a serve even worse than him, a testament to the quality of his ground game.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts

So happy for Diego!!!
P
He is the only good opponent Nole will face this week and he will be dead like hell after this. What a giftet title vor Novak.
Perhaps, but that is the same schedule Novak faced last year, which contributed to his one sided loss to Nadal in the final. Except for Miami and IW, the scheduling for the Masters is usually unfair to at least one player who reaches the finals.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Really impressed by the quality and consistency of shaps backhand. Hardly ever sliced, unlike dimitrov who sliced all the time waiting for the other guy to make a mistake.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
Really impressed by the quality and consistency of shaps backhand. Hardly ever sliced, unlike dimitrov who sliced all the time waiting for the other guy to make a mistake.
I think clay is probably one of the best surfaces to use topspin backhands. A lot of strong ones (Almagro, Wawrinka, Gasquet) all have worked nicely on the surface.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts