Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Best match I've seen in a while. Diego's consistency proved superior in the end to Shap's shotmaking ability, but it could have gone either way.

Shap will need Djokovic to win the final to get into the top 10 now.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Schwartzman needed:

2 hours and 15 minutes to beat Millman
2 hours and 5 minutes to beat Hurkacz
2 hours to beat Nadal
3 hours and 15 minutes to beat Shapovalov

And next he’ll play Novak in 18 hours…
Schwartzman in straights.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
couldn't watch because all streams died. i'll give diego a chance tomorrow if he recovers enough, but it's gonna be a tough task.
deserved final for beating nadal, tho. no complaints here.

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts
Incredible match.

Both players kept raising their level to meet the other. There were some tired errors from both in the tiebreak (Diego's volley errors) but it doesn't take away from the spectacle as a whole.

Hope Diego can give us a great final.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
Diego in a clay Masters final is a good sight. Very impressed with his level. Shapovalov played well but was patchy near the finish line, but understandable given how tough each point was.

I hope Diego has energy left for the final. I believe in the rare event he wins, he would enter the top 10.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Great match. The third set had me on edge the entire time. What a shame one of them had to lose.
Shapo may have lost, but the progress he's made this week is the real prize. He should be very proud of himself.

And Diegoat... What a beast! I'll be in utter ruins if his heroics will only lead to a RU plate. He deserves to go all the way like no other.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Diego at it again. Not quite as easy for him than beating Rafa yesterday, but that was just because Shapo was on fire most of the time during the match as well.

Huge respect for both players. Still, the right player won for me. I just love this small guy with his tremendous warrior spirit, like I've said so many times before.

Hopefully Diego will recover well enough overnight, and we'll get to see a thriller final tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Kind of a stunning match
choke fest at times but 3rd set produced incredible points
Diego remarkable for his speed, power of shot for his size, steadiness etc. Hats off, that's really big of me considering you just beat my two favourite players back to back, Maybe you'll become a new fav if you can manage it against Djok tomorrow, you certainly played better than him so far.
Denis. Sigh. So close. Serving for it. By far the more exciting player, so lovely to watch. Just a few brain farts in the 3rd set. Those DFs. Fought so hard though. OK I forgive you.
Denis is getting very close. It's OK. I guess.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Fantastic match, crazy shot making from both. Was rooting for shapo but I like diego as well so I'm still pleased. What fight from both guys out there, some of those points were out of this world. Hope the little lion man has enough in the tank to put up a good fight against novak tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
23,494 Posts
I think watching the match many could agree here Shapo's potential if he can maybe be 10% more consistent could get him to the next level -- just needs to improve serve effectiveness and maybe make shots deeper in rally mode, because wow, his netplay today IMO was great, especially on pressure points.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Schwartzman's route to final:

Millman
Hurkacz
Nadal
Shapovalov

Djokovic's route to final:

Caruso
Krajinovic
Koepfer
Ruud
so obviously everyone and their grandma was enjoying this match, and yet you come up with some crap about the draw in the result thread? seriously?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Diego is a tough opponent but shaps maturity is up there. He is going to be a big threat

·
Your visions will happen
48,559 Posts
Diego playing the tennis of his life, let's see if he can cap off a career week tomorrow

Shapo just a bit too erratic in the end there, DFs, bad droppers, missed FH way out, DSS was so clutch in the end

21 - 40 of 81 Posts