Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Few to many errors in key moments from Shapo; happy for Diego he deserves this after beating Nadal!

Reactions: enlightenedth

·
Registered
411 Posts
Great to see Diego follow up the win against Nadal with another fierce performance.

Will be tough against Nole after so many hours on court though.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Spectators back, quality back. Hope tournaments will learn from this.

·
Premium Member
8,538 Posts
Amazing match. Take a bow Schwartzman and Shapovalov!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The quality certainly ebbed & flowed in this one, but the drama was on high throughout!!

·
justice for all
16,870 Posts
Schwartzman needed:

2 hours and 15 minutes to beat Millman
2 hours and 5 minutes to beat Hurkacz
2 hours to beat Nadal
3 hours and 15 minutes to beat Shapovalov

And next he’ll play Novak in 18 hours…
That’s what mattered most to you, right? Not the super tennis they played... oh dear...

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
Match of the tournament.

To be honest, neither player deserved to lose this match, Denis didn't quite hold together mentally when trying to serve out the match, but... they way he played today was truly inspired. A very mature performance, time and time again he waited and waited for his opportunity and then successfully pulled the trigger. He was rock solid off his backhand too. Truly great stuff from Denis. I hope he does damage in RG.

As for Diego, what grit. He hung in there, refused to lie down when he could have easily done so several times. His level wasn't quite as good as yesterday, but he was still hitting the ball fine from the baseline and hit some passing shot screamers. Also makes sense that he reaches the final here since he took out Nadal after all.

I just hope he's not too exhausted now, and can give Novak a fight tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Schwartzman needed:

2 hours and 15 minutes to beat Millman
2 hours and 5 minutes to beat Hurkacz
2 hours to beat Nadal
3 hours and 15 minutes to beat Shapovalov

And next he’ll play Novak in 18 hours…
In short, perfect opportunity for the vulture 😋

·
Registered
19,613 Posts
No Nadal curse then.

Shapovalov choking in final set to serve it out, with a bit too many errors at the key moments in the final set.
Schwartzman was just unbelievably versatile from the baseline... congrats for 1st Masters final.

Reactions: DarkoAqua and MWW

·
23,941 Posts
Personally sad result for Shapo, but overall it's a great match so no complaints. Schwartzman was solid and really trying to control the baseline, but Shapo in his default mode has shown he can rally well too. Problem is it can be a bit hit or miss when Shapo does pull in the trigger but most of the time Shapo was actually pretty smart in constructing. Even if it was a breakfest (12 breaks throughout the match) it didn't feel like they were bad breaks, although you could argue Shapo getting broken was mostly due to his errors although Schwartzman's hustle made it hard for Shapo at times. Quite a back and forth with Shapo having a break lead twice in the 3rd Set but cannot capitalize, especially when serving for the match. I had a bad feeling in the TB with how Shapo's decision making has been in the latter games, and at the end Schwartzman's consistency won it. I agree it seems to be the match since the tour return and I do also think Schwartzman could have a chance at this.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts