Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
49th masters final for Novak. Sets up Djokodal final

... and from what I've calculated, with this win Djokovic clinches No1 until Cincy (264 weeks)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Rome SF Djokovic beat Schwartzman 6-3, 6-7, 6-3

As expected this wasn't easy. Diego was always going to be tough, and he gave a great fight. Djokovic did just about enough in the end.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Good fight Schwartzman, but he has absolutely nothing to hurt the top guys. 6/10 match overall.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Nole tipped the ball like 50 secs on the last one, ump wasnt gonna say shiiiit lol

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Djokovic was sublime in set one and the got worse, hopefully not because he's tired as understandable as it would be. Schwartzmann was better and set 2 and definitely deserved a set for this performance, strong match from him. Though his level also dropped in set 3 and he lost.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Very good fight from Diego but came a bit short at the end. Novak seemed really fatigued at the end but served very well in the third. Great match to watch

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Gotta feel for Diego, who put up a good fight today. But just like Delpo did yesterday he faltered in the most crucial moments in the third set. He did hit some quality drop shots though.

Novak not amazing but pretty solid overall. Did seem a bit tired at the end there.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Epic match, Diego's groundgame finally seems to back again and his dropshots are better than ever. As so often against top players though he managed to keep it super close but fell just short in the end. Still an awesome tournament for him and a much needed boost of form just ahead of RG where he defends a QF

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yes! Bow down before the true king of clay, bitches.

Now do what you are born to do, Djokovic. Roast Nadal! Ajde!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Again an epic match, Diego was so good today it's such a shame he seems to bring that level only a couple of times a year. Djoker reaching 2 finals back 2 back just before RG bodes well for his chances there. After two grueling matches in a row tomorrow will be tough I reckon, but if anyone can pull it off it's the Djoker, so there is that.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Novak grinded too much in 2nd set with Diego instead of pressing the throttle. If only freaking final wasn't at 4 pm. He looked really tired today, not even chasing drop shots at times. Really didn't like his strategic approach against Schwartzman. Still second masters 1000 final in 2 weeks. Not too bad. :lol:

·
Registered
57,596 Posts
Schwartzman's ground game is so so so good. But he just has to peak for 2+ hours to beat a top player because of his serve, and he's yet to ever do that. Djokovic was hit and miss. Very good in the first set, meh in the second, pretty good in the third.

Also yet another clay match with an unbelievably bad call on a big point (and once again, in the higher ranked player's favor). Get clay video review yesterday.

·
Administrator
6,072 Posts
Quite the effort to win this match. To be honest I would've been OK with Djokovic losing to Del Potro, since winning Madrid is probably good enough form building ahead of RG, but after fighting hard to make it to the final hopefully he can make it worth it.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Huge kudos to Diego. What a fighter. I'll call him from now Dropshotzman :smile2:. Fantastic effort. I was actually cheering for him because he gave it all :).

Now, my cynical mode is on.
1. Djokovic, somehow forgot how to serve. That was just awful.
2. He almost 'murdered' a poor ball kid :surprise:. Yeah, I know this sh!t happens but I was like 'ouch'.
3. Too passive. Too many rallies. blah, blah
4. Drop shots, bad :eek:.

If Diego could improve his serve he could be in top 10. It's tough for a short guy. I know some Nole fans will not crucify me but I hoped that Diego could pull it off.

The only good think I can say about Djokovic is that his FH was great tonight. I will make a post in the Nadal vs. Djokovic thread but I'm not impressed with Novak at all.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts