Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strong win by Denis! Terrible start and a continuation of the tendencies vs Martinez - low 1st serve % and a weak FH - spraying errors. He vastly improved in set 2. Serve was OK and his FH started firing. Got the early break in the 3rd and rest was nid. He still needs to improve his 1st serve stats to take charge of the point more often.
He shows great attitude as always, but was clearly very fired up. He'll at least have a bit of an audience from now on.

·
justice for all
16,853 Posts
What I like about El Shapo's game right now is he's able to bag consecutive wins despite not playing his best. He also seems much more patient - something he struggled a lot with not so long ago and which is key for taking it to another level.
This is another encouraging win on his probably least favourite surface.
If he gets through Dimitrov (which he should) probably Nadal will await in the SF.
Keep it up, Denis!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Wish he wouldn't play doubles though. He's really logging a lot of court time. Dimitrov will be fresher. Still back to back QF's is an excellent record. He is really improving his consistency.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
What I like about El Shapo's game right now is he's able to bag consecutive wins despite not playing his best. He also seems much more patient - something he struggled a lot not so long ago and which is key for taking it to another level.
This is another encouraging win on his probably least favourite surface.
If he gets through Dimitrov (which he should) probably Nadal will await in the SF.
Keep it up, Denis!
I think he breaks into the top 10 if the Shapovalov-Nadal match happens :D

·
Premium Member
9,299 Posts
Youzhny has definitely improved Shapo's game from the brainless ballbashing he was just a year ago, unfortunately he isn't playing so good here and his serve isn't clicking, hope he improves against the pusher next round.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
LOL

YOu don't know either player saying that
try to remember what Nadal did to denis on an indoor HC DC end of last year.
Clay will be more extreme
You’re misunderstanding me, I mean that Shapovalov makes top 10 with a SF exit and Nadal was added to ensure Schwartzman’s loss... I don’t see Shapovalov troubling Nadal at all.

·
Your visions will happen
50,106 Posts
He plays dubs cause he is the new McEnroe, lefty also

Who's the guy in the red t-shirt sitting besides Youzny?
He was at USO too
The trainer I'd imagine. Also did not see the mom so far, so maybe it is just a boys trip, which is great for his development

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Wish he wouldn't play doubles though. He's really logging a lot of court time. Dimitrov will be fresher. Still back to back QF's is an excellent record. He is really improving his consistency.
he should play doubles. Doubles is very good for tennis IQ becuase you can't just powerthrough by mindless ball bashing

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Good dig by valov, he has a good chance to reach the semis here. Am I imagining things or did denis use the slice more in this match? What is really important is that he is not rushing to finish the points and actually constructing them, it shows development and if he keeps it up he will soon become a consistent threat on the tour.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Youzhny has definitely improved Shapo's game from the brainless ballbashing he was just a year ago, unfortunately he isn't playing so good here and his serve isn't clicking, hope he improves against the pusher next round.
The sports psychologist that Youzhny recommended that Denis hire is what has improved Denis’s game. There were so many matches in the past where he would just lose focus after something did not go his way or if something distracted him. He was smart to bring the psychologist in early in his career before the bad habits really get locked in.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
Nice win for shapo...on clay wow !!

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Shapo has everything to succeed further than his master the Colonel

Reactions: ism

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The sports psychologist that Youzhny recommended that Denis hire is what has improved Denis’s game. There were so many matches in the past where he would just lose focus after something did not go his way or if something distracted him. He was smart to bring the psychologist in early in his career before the bad habits really get locked in.
I heartily agree. I was saying for a long time that he needed someone to help him with more effectively managing his emotions. And, yes, he's definitely playing more efficiently, and constructing his points rather than just being impatient and trying to over-power his opponents with impressive shot-making. I see him becoming a far more complete player in the next few years, and I hope Youzhny stays with him. He has proven himself to be an excellent coach for Denis. I'm sure the cultural connection and the fact that Youzhny has played many of these guys on the tour (not so long ago) helps a great deal. My remarks about doubles was only that he's logging in a lot of hours on court. But, in terms of improvement - there is no doubt his net game has improved tremendously. And, that is probably because he's learning from Bopanna who is a master in doubles play. A very effective match-up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts