Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much tougher than scoreline suggested. Kei played in patches of good and mediocre tennis. Troicki pushing as usual but did play some nice pts as well. Kei served for the first set and got broken but broke back to love immediately, had a 3-0 lead second set and got broken back, broke to love once again but couldn't find a first serve serving for the match and went to deuce several times.

A positive is he returned serve exceptionally well. Troicki won only 52% of 1st serve pts, and 45% of second serve.
He'll need to up his game for Djokovic (assuming he survives a peaking Bellucci)

·
54,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kei looks out of gas at the end
Think he was just relieved to get it over and done with in that final tough game. I think Nishikori prefers daytime over night matches as well.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Think he was just relieved to get it over and done with in that final tough game. I think Nishikori prefers daytime over night matches as well.
All true, but I think he is gassed. His footwork was largely absent in this match. In fact, it was absent already in the Vesely match, which was unnecessarily long.

He won't tank the next match, precisely because it's Novak, but I really won't fancy his chance there. He's basically playing on emergency fuel at the moment, as his main tank is pretty much empty.

He has improved over the last year or so in terms of endurance, but no one can change that drastically and suddenly. He's still physically the weakest among top 10.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
He didn't look gassed to me, it's not like he's played a whole ton of matches lately. I genuinely think the loss to Murray + having Nole in his quarter has a bit to do with his performances this last two matches. He's still unbelievably bad at closing out sets (but not as bad as the Rog it seems) and cannot buy a first serve when he needs it. Nishikori has a bit of a petulant body language sometimes, but I don't mind, he's just down on himself and expects himself to beat a guy like Troicki with ease, which he more or less did all things considered. Anyway, a QF at a masters is a good result for this year. Nole looks beatable but there's no way he plays as loose as he did against Bellucci and Almagro with Kei.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Nishikori should not be tired- he last few matches have been straight sets, his tourneys have been evenly spaced. Nishikori just reall needs to bulk up just a little, get a bit more ripped. Right now his muscle tone is too federer like.

·
54,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nishikori should not be tired- he last few matches have been straight sets, his tourneys have been evenly spaced. Nishikori just reall needs to bulk up just a little, get a bit more ripped. Right now his muscle tone is too federer like.
Yes if he calls this tired, he won't have anything for FO. He hasn't even had a Ferrer 3 hour epic this year. The best Troicki and Vesely do was push as long as they could and after a while it would catch up with them. At most I think Nishikori seemed annoyed, more than usual anyway at letting chances slip with sloppy play and giving Troicki chances back into the match when he could have got the job done a bit earlier. Especially the long tense final game where he couldn't find a first serve. That would be understandable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts