Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
21,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "darkness" break came at the most inconvenient moment for Nishikori, he lost his serve in the next game in 2nd set.

Another flawless performance by Musetti... we might get a Djokovic-Musetti match if they go through their next round. Interesting, very good prospect.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
match favourite handed out a proper spanking, nothing to see here me thinks.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
Musetti was good and solid though Kei looked utterly lethargic judging by his frequent net forays, reminds me of that Thiem match against Krajinovic. Kei also let so many shots pass him or out of reach that he would usually go for, and had a lousy return and BH day. Not sure whether it is after effects of COVID or just poor form but he kinda let Musetti have his way very easily and never looked like he wanted to really wrestle control of the match.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
I don't know much about him, but it is good to see a new face, which doesn't seem to happen very much in tennis.

He hit some true clay court inside out forehand drop shots, which I think is strangely more seen on the challenger tour than on the ATP tour these days.

Kei Nishikori looked like a zombie. I have never seen him saunter around that slowly in between points. He wasn't right.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
This Musetti guy has such shotmaking ability and variety. And he has brains. And he plays well on clay. Well, hooray!

As far as his current level is concerned, the next match (or hopefully two or three) will tell more. Stan was out of sorts, and Kei was physically hampered. But it must be said all the same that Nishikori played well at times.

But Musetti's talent and creativity are special, that's for sure.

·
Registered
21,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, Nishikori netted and overhit a crazy amount of balls in this match, his return was just horrible and he was moving like a zombie between points and sometimes on the court.

He also missed some really easy sitter volleys at the net.
He needs more time to return to the Tour properly, it seems...

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
Expected since kei sucks nowadays and also sucks on clay so...

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Bendikori was pretty underwhelming and Musetti continues his strong showing here. Musetti and Defaultovic would be a good one

·
justice for all
17,944 Posts
That’s what they call effective usage of a WC, right? Sure, Stan and Kei were subpar but beating back-to-back these two in his only 2nd main draw ATP event is nothing less of impressive. This kid has a very pleasing game, still some weaknesses and much room for improvement but the potential there is huge. I think I might become a fan.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Yes, Nishikori netted and overhit a crazy amount of balls in this match, his return was just horrible and he was moving like a zombie between points and sometimes on the court.

He also missed some really easy sitter volleys at the net.
He needs more time to return to the Tour properly, it seems...
I didn't think they were easy volleys.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Well, looks like Italy will have their men's singles grand slam champion after all. Prodigious talent this guy, and an eye-pleasing game.

Agree with those who are saying that Nishikori was looking like a zombie though.

·
Registered
21,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of them was, others maybe not really easy, but still doable for a fit and match-sharp Nishikori.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The hype train continues chugging along.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
One of them was, others maybe not really easy, but still doable for a fit and match-sharp Nishikori.
I felt a few were missed mainly because Kei's physicality wasn't up to the task, as Burrow mentioned the way Kei sauntered around the court applied equally to some of his net approaches (want to execute and know what to do but feet a little sluggish). That said his net game was ok considering his lethargy, he anticipated and set up well enough to get open court except for a couple and the serve volley worked pretty nicely on a majority of occasions.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Neither Wawrinka nor Nishikori were close to their best, but still a very good run by Musetti. And reasonable chances to set up a match against Djokovic with a win in the next round against Koepfer or Monfils.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts