Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first point I saw was Nick turning around bending over at the end:grin2:

Only saw aces from both after that. Didn't think Kyrgios would take this one though.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Medvedev looked to have taken control at the end of the 2nd set, but threw in a terrible service game and immediately handed back the initiative. Yet another nextgenner so far away from being the complete player.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Aside from junkballing weirdness (which worked well), Kyrgios served very good, winning 68% on 2nd serve to Medvedev's 49%. Played some great passing shots with exquisite feel. Well deserved win.

·
justice for all
13,111 Posts
Expected.

Meddy is a very streaky player. Currently he's in the slump. Maybe he'll peak for grass.

Gyros is a toss-up players, this time it flipped his way.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Kyrgios could've finished this in straights, but why? He had his share of fun with underarm serves, SABN's, gazillion drop shots, blatant tanking of the set after being broken, shooting a ball outside the stadium and botting. Medveded tried to match him by earning two warnings for taking his wraps off in the middle of a game and spanking the court with his racket, hitting 0 unforced errors off the ground in set 2 and serving almost equally well. In all fairness this loss is a blessing in disguise for him. He ran out of gas in Barcelona and hasn't recovered since. Even though his stamina improved noticeably since 2017, he's still far from a human machine. He needed a break.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
What the fuck happend here? How could Kyrgios win this on this slowass surface?

Too bad Kyrgios isn't in Nadals quarter. I'm just dying to see him playing against the Spaniard again, exposing him with underarm serve.

Nadal is still salty about this loss in Acapulco btw. You got to love this Australian madman.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Kyrgios could've finished this in straights, but why? He had his share of fun with underarm serves, SABN's, gazillion drop shots, blatant tanking of the set after being broken, shooting a ball outside the stadium and botting. Medveded tried to match him by earning two warnings for taking his wraps off in the middle of a game and spanking the court with his racket, hitting 0 unforced errors off the ground in set 2 and serving almost equally well. In all fairness this loss is a blessing in disguise for him. He ran out of gas in Barcelona and hasn't recovered since. Even though his stamina improved noticeably since 2017, he's still far from a human machine. He needed a break.
I missed the match. How did I ever miss such a high quality tennis match :crying:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Exquisite tennis by Kyrgios fully demonstrating the entertaining variety of shotmaking that is possible on clay, but that sadly very few on the ATP have the skill to execute. Feel sorry for Medvedev (or anybody) having to run into the infuriatingly unpredictable Kyrgios, but it's great for tennis when Kyrgios is on and having fun.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Expected Gyros to play to win, he wants to prove himself agaisnt NextGen and Big3. Can't be arsed against the rest.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I missed the match. How did I ever miss such a high quality tennis match :crying:
Just watch all of NK's matches. You're almost guaranteed to witness two good ones annually. As for the rest - as long as you're a heavy drinker with deep pockets, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
What the fuck happend here? How could Kyrgios win this on this slowass surface?

Too bad Kyrgios isn't in Nadals quarter. I'm just dying to see him playing against the Spaniard again, exposing him with underarm serve.

Nadal is still salty about this loss in Acapulco btw. You got to love this Australian madman.
Nadal’s been living rent free in your head since the Miami Open in 04.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just saw replay of the very first point of the match. Kyrgios raised the thumbs up signal to confirm whether Medvedev was ready to begin. Medvedev acknowledged he was good to go, and then Kyrgios began an overhead wind-up before actually delivering an underhand serve (weak return followed by easy put-away for Kyrgios). Kyrgios in postmatch interview said starting the match with underhand serve was planned. Way to go Kyrgios! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts