Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57,587 Posts
Rome R2: (5) Ferrer def Kukushkin 6-1 6-2

Had *5-0 Ad-In in the second :(

Great returning, just stunning. Fairly good otherwise.

I think Ferrer is playing better than last year, he seems to have his game together a bit. Backhand has improved hugely, better serve percentage, not misfiring on his favored forehand as much. But he's been held back by being mentally weaker than ever, he's losing virtually every close match he plays.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Re: Rome R2: (5) Ferrer def Kukushkin 6-1 6-2

Ferrer W/UE 16/18...

Almost everyone today, even in WTA, had a positive ratio.

·
Registered
57,587 Posts

Ferrer W/UE 16/18...

Almost everyone today, even in WTA, had a positive ratio.
Just goes to show that stat can be misleading :shrug: Ferrer was probably the best player today except maybe Wawrinka. Kukushkin is a hard guy to hit winners against, he refuses to ever be put on the defensive, going for aggressive shots from whatever position he is in. And Ferrer's serve does not give him the easy putaways a guy like Raonic's do (and Ferrer still had more non-ace winners than he did) either. I'm sure if Ferrer had played Riba, who has an even worse serve than Kukushkin and has the problem of hitting short and setting his opponent up, those numbers would be different.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

Just goes to show that stat can be misleading :shrug: Ferrer was probably the best player today except maybe Wawrinka. Kukushkin is a hard guy to hit winners against, he refuses to ever be put on the defensive, going for aggressive shots from whatever position he is in. And Ferrer's serve does not give him the easy putaways a guy like Raonic's do (and Ferrer still had more non-ace winners than he did) either. I'm sure if Ferrer had played Riba, who has an even worse serve than Kukushkin and has the problem of hitting short and setting his opponent up, those numbers would be different.
Yeah I know.

I said that too in the Djoker-Sexypanek thread.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

:lol: ferrer was really on a hurry to win today
well done

·
Registered
21,394 Posts

NOW we're entering Roland Garros winning form, NOW we're showing these MOTHERFUCKERS what being David Ferrer is all about.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts

Good, solid win for David. Keep it up.

·
Registered
21,394 Posts

Show me some of against Novak
Would be interesting, Ferrer is 3-1 against him on clay. But if he brings his Nishikori form it will end up in an awful choke.

·
Registered
57,587 Posts

Would be interesting, Ferrer is 3-1 against him on clay. But if he brings his Nishikori form it will end up in an awful choke.
:lol: That's about all you can say about Ferrer at his best anymore. "Scintilating form, just destroying every opponent, he is going to be cruising against Djokovic until it comes time to close it out, then lose heartbreakingly." Ferrer played well in the Madrid semi, was the better player in the Miami RO16, and was better in the 4th set than Berdych at the AO. But if it is close he loses. Without fail.

·
Registered
21,394 Posts

:lol: That's about all you can say about Ferrer at his best anymore. "Scintilating form, just destroying every opponent, he is going to be cruising against Djokovic until it comes time to close it out, then lose heartbreakingly." Ferrer played well in the Madrid semi, was the better player in the Miami RO16, and was better in the 4th set than Berdych at the AO. But if it is close he loses. Without fail.
I'd go as far as saying he was one game away from winning Madrid.

·
Registered
57,587 Posts

I think, as awful as Nadal was in the final no way did Ferrer not beat him. Nadal was 1000 times worse there than MC, and Ferrer was playing better there than MC. But Ferrer just could not play the big points any worse. First he serves for the first set after absolutely cruising on serve, gets broken with awful errors. Goes without saying he loses serve at *5-6 in the tiebreak. Wins the second (after actually being clutch to save MP with an ace) and has all the momentum. Nishikori was clearly fatigued, had a sitter forehand to go up a break- but nope, misses that, broken next game. Nishikori tries to choke serving for it? Better miss makeable returns on multiple BPs and make errors at deuce (reminded me of the return vs Murray to go up 2-0 at the AO- difficult, but definitely playable).

·
10,271 Posts

Do you remember this one Ferrer Fans? :p

Match Point vs Murray in Miami 2013 and decides to challenge a call instead of playing out the point. Loses the call and loses the match....

·
Registered
57,587 Posts

Do you remember this one Ferrer Fans? :p

Match Point vs Murray in Miami 2013 and decides to challenge a call instead of playing out the point. Loses the call and loses the match....

Yes. I sure fucking do. I considered making a Ferrer choke compilation the other day... I may do that

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

This is really sad....and true.

Ferrer would have definitely won the title.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts