Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stan won playing pretty ugly tennis in first set and half of the second, losing a lot of the longer rallies. Monaco got a break in the second and had BPs for a double break but Stan held. That moment on, Stan reeled off several game sin a row to take it 6-3 and then finish the third on a high note. Still far from best, making too many errors but survives another day.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Our Savoir advances.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Good win for Stan

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Good riddance, although the set loss was completely unnecessary. Hopefully Stan rises his game from ashes.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
This was NID even the form Stan is in. Monaco was shitting himself already in the first set at going 3-0 up a double break, there was no way he would finish the job even if he got close to winning it.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Stan played a seriously terrible first set spraying errors left and right, started the second set about the same way but that hold from BPs down changed things and Stan started playing much better after that.

All in all just what Stan needed. Hope he can build on it for the rest of the tournament.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Stanimal's ass is the only reason I watch his matches this year. But, for once, it was nice to see him decide to compete when the things were not going his way. A couple of forehands and backhands from him were vintage SEX.

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,652 Posts
Monaco with some great shots today. Got unlucky, when suddenly Stan woke up from his daydream; never thought Juan would have the match on his racket.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Very glad to see that Stan got the win. :)

·
24,110 Posts
Great effort from Stan! I kind of surely was expecting a loss after being broken early in the 2nd Set, but somehow found a level and Monaco also blinked. Tried to be more marginal in the 2nd and 3rd Sets which IMO should be his default setting at the start of matches as he's confidence to do "boom-boom tennis" is still not there yet. Like in Rotterdam I hope a close call would help him build his run here.

·
Premium Member
29,536 Posts
A win is a win. Bye mugnaco

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Great effort from Stan! I kind of surely was expecting a loss after being broken early in the 2nd Set, but somehow found a level and Monaco also blinked. Tried to be more marginal in the 2nd and 3rd Sets which IMO should be his default setting at the start of matches as he's confidence to do "boom-boom tennis" is still not there yet. Like in Rotterdam I hope a close call would help him build his run here.
Zj, Can you see Stan making up to Nadal beating Simon next? How is that matchup?

·
24,110 Posts
Zj, Can you see Stan making up to Nadal beating Simon next? How is that matchup?
I am still quite doubtful. Simon is so pesky, that he could bring Stan to his knees through his retrieving and awkward shotmaking. If Stan just starts to play as he did in the 3rd Set I think he has a good chance to start with good momentum. Against Nadal who knows...he seems to show up against the Top 10 players while Nadal recently hasn't. The matchup isn't really good but Stan has a good solid backhand so who knows.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I am still quite doubtful. Simon is so pesky, that he could bring Stan to his knees through his retrieving and awkward shotmaking. If Stan just starts to play as he did in the 3rd Set I think he has a good chance to start with good momentum. Against Nadal who knows...he seems to show up against the Top 10 players while Nadal recently hasn't. The matchup isn't really good but Stan has a good solid backhand so who knows.
Exactly, that's why I want him to face top 10 player on clay before going for RG. Nadal is not playing well, his confidence level is probably at lowest. If Stan somehow manages to beat Simon, he stands decent chance against Nadal imo.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
he was lucky to win this tbh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts