Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nishikori was very topsy turvy the first set, down a break twice and having to save 4 SPs, one on his own serve and 3 on Vesely's serve (up 40-15). Second set much better from Nishikori. Most impressive was Vesely holding the baseline and retrieving balls almost like a prime Nadal and making Nishikori second guess his own shot placement. Went behind Nishikori a few times on both wings and played some intelligent pts around the net with dropshots and lobs. He served very well too, apart from the TB.

Not his best performance but Vesely gave Kei a good test and I envisage Vesely being a good contender in the future like Kyrgios.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Nishikori nearly stats-padding/boosting his final sets record again. :haha:

·
54,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad he resisted the temptation to improve his deciding set record again.
I seriously thought the first set was over for him and that he'd try to recover in the next two. To his credit, he managed to break when down 40-15 on Vesely's serve twice - the first in the second game where Vesely failed to consolidate an early break, then at 5-4 when Vesely was serving for it.

·
54,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Djokovic will eat Nishikori alive.
The same Djokovic who lost a TB to Almagro up 5-2?
But yes Djokovic is the clear favourite and Nishikori needs to boost his level to have any shot.

That said Vesely was playing top 10-20 level tennis today I felt. He wasn't giving away many cheap points or exposing too much baseline and maintained good serving, the lefty serve was used to good effect. He reminds me a bit of Nadal/Ferrer with good retrieval skills, redirecting pace very efficiently and reading Nishikori's fast play very well. In fact I think the way he was getting to every ball with good margin and variety made Nishikori second guess where he wanted to hit the next shot, leading to some poor tactical decisions at times, especially that first set. Vesely's level dropped off serving for the set and during the TB but kept his presence throughout to keep Kei honest.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I don't know why the announcers are always so stunned whenever Nishikori hits an easy volley into the net, as clutch as he is, he's one of the worst players at putting away easy points. Anyway Vesely should have taken the 1st set, 2nd he put up a good fight but Nishikori was clearly the better player. Tough 2nd round match but hopefully this gives him impetus to improve his form.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Vesely played really well. An incredible number of hot shots to bail himself out throughout the match.

I kind of expect Nishikori to semi-tank in the next round, though, especially if it doesn't go well in the beginning of the match. It was pretty obvious from the way he acted between points that his body was approaching the limit. Playing too much on that court, which is hardly his favorite, might jeopardize his form in RG.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Vesely would be top 20 if he wasn't such a choker.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Vesely played really well. An incredible number of hot shots to bail himself out throughout the match.

I kind of expect Nishikori to semi-tank in the next round, though, especially if it doesn't go well in the beginning of the match. It was pretty obvious from the way he acted between points that his body was approaching the limit. Playing too much on that court, which is hardly his favorite, might jeopardize his form in RG.
If Lopez gets through, he might want to exact revenge for that embarrassing loss at IW, he'll tank against a fresh Djokovic though (while getting outplayed). Also Lopez and Troicki aren't exactly clay giants. He should at least try to get to the QF stage to increase his chances at a top 4 seed at RG.

·
Bring it Home
20,646 Posts
The same Djokovic who lost a TB to Almagro up 5-2?
But yes Djokovic is the clear favourite and Nishikori needs to boost his level to have any shot.

That said Vesely was playing top 10-20 level tennis today I felt. He wasn't giving away many cheap points or exposing too much baseline and maintained good serving, the lefty serve was used to good effect. He reminds me a bit of Nadal/Ferrer with good retrieval skills, redirecting pace very efficiently and reading Nishikori's fast play very well. In fact I think the way he was getting to every ball with good margin and variety made Nishikori second guess where he wanted to hit the next shot, leading to some poor tactical decisions at times, especially that first set. Vesely's level dropped off serving for the set and during the TB but kept his presence throughout to keep Kei honest.
It was Novak first match in 20 days and Almagro has something Nishikori can only dream about it: power.

Vesely isn't Top 10-20 level by any means, he is a terrible mover, him being able of taking so many games of Nishikori shows how much Kei's lack of power hurts him in slower courts.

·
54,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If Lopez gets through, he might want to exact revenge for that embarrassing loss at IW, he'll tank against a fresh Djokovic though (while getting outplayed). Also Lopez and Troicki aren't exactly clay giants. He should at least try to get to the QF stage to increase his chances at a top 4 seed at RG.
Likely Berdych still gets it. The question mark is whether one of Fognini or Dimitrov can stop him. Fognini has a 2-0 H2H but we wonder how he'll do in front of his home crowd? If Berdych makes QF, pretty much unless Nishikori beats Djokovic, he has no chance at the top 4 seed.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Likely Berdych still gets it. The question mark is whether one of Fognini or Dimitrov can stop him. Fognini has a 2-0 H2H but we wonder how he'll do in front of his home crowd? If Berdych makes QF, pretty much unless Nishikori beats Djokovic, he has no chance at the top 4 seed.
Oh I thought Berdych was defending QF points but I was wrong.

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
Kei in shaky form ...

I mean we kind of expected him to be top 3 on clay, but it looks like he is not really peaking before RG
However I don't mind that, since he is in No1e's quarter in ROme :devil:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts