Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
justice for all
17,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good match by Denis. Very composed and mature performance on his least favourite surface. No unnecessary rushing or ball bashing. Some drop shot and volleys here and there, good rallying from the baseline. I like what I see from him here. Mikhail is back and hopefully he'll push Denis to even better results.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I expected Martinez to do better in this one but he showed why he's a good challenger and quallies player, but when he gets to a certain level, he just can't perform at his best. The ways he got broken were pretty bad, just regular stuff to 40-30 and then bad shots and decisions. Shapovalov played ok, his attitude was good, but I don't see him doing anything special in this tournament and on clay overall.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Martinez played well and was aggressive plus Denis's 1st serve was not working well at all so a good win for Denis. He played way under par but was clutch on important points. He definitely needs to up his game for the next match.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I expected Martinez to do better in this one but he showed why he's a good challenger and quallies player and when he gets to a certain level, he just can't perform at his best. The ways he got broken were pretty bad, just regular stuff to 40-30 and then bad shots and decisions. Shapovalov played ok, his attitude was good, but I don't see him doing anything special in this tournament and on clay overall.
I think he can do something on clay. He made a Madrid SF already. But I agree he's not looking very sharp atm. It's the same old problem - if the 1st serve fails he can't dictate the points and that usually gets him into trouble. But he has a good attitude as you say.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I think he can do something on clay. He made a Madrid SF already. But I agree he's not looking very sharp atm. It's the same old problem - if the 1st serve fails he can't dictate the points and that usually gets him into trouble. But he has a good attitude as you say.
Generally clay shouldn't be that bad for him since he should have more time for his swings on both sides. But the bad part is higher bounces don't do him any good, especially on the BH side and one more issue - opponents would dare him to take a risk in longer rallies (slice to his BH, a little weaker shots, etc.) and he would pull the trigger pretty much every time. Clay is more about building the points and going for a winner on the first weaker shot by the opponent doesn't always give as good results as on other surfaces. I'm not saying he can't turn into a decent clay courter in the future, but so far it's his serve, name and fighting attitude that's giving him wins, not his overall clay game.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
Shapovalov's clay game is not that good, but I think he still has potential to do well on the surface. He could break into the top ten soon if he keeps on getting wins.

Reactions: Sparlingo

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
youzhny effect is starting to show with shapovalov. he is becoming more mature. he is still forcing the First serve when it's not clicking. other than that he is definitely becoming more patient with his shot selection

·
Registered
741 Posts
Generally clay shouldn't be that bad for him since he should have more time for his swings on both sides. But the bad part is higher bounces don't do him any good, especially on the BH side and one more issue - opponents would dare him to take a risk in longer rallies (slice to his BH, a little weaker shots, etc.) and he would pull the trigger pretty much every time. Clay is more about building the points and going for a winner on the first weaker shot by the opponent doesn't always give as good results as on other surfaces. I'm not saying he can't turn into a decent clay courter in the future, but so far it's his serve, name and fighting attitude that's giving him wins, not his overall clay game.
The high bounce may be a factor but he usually takes the ball early. And as you say he likes slow court speed to set up shots. But he needs to be on top and to dictate. If he gets on the defence or just rallies he is vulnerable. But he is improving in holding back and not unleashing all the time.

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Kind of scrappy from Denis, but enough.

I was impressed with how thick his legs have become. He is putting in the hard hours in the gym, obviously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts