Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
The only thing that was obvious to me about Wawrinka was that the BO5 format suited him better than BO3, as he often needed a lot of match play (within a single match and throughout the tournament) to be able to work himself into his best form, and BO3 did not allow that. But the whole "he doesn't care about masters" thing is a huge cope by his fans to justify his relatively poor performance outside of slams. I don't buy it for a second. Even the Big 3, with all the titles they've racked up, still work hard and clearly care to win masters titles most of the time. Why wouldn't he? Especially when he only has one Masters title lol
Because he couldn't even if he had wanted it.

It takes a lot of mental & physical energy and stamina to win both masters and slams, especially those close to each other like Rome & RG (+ Wimb around the corner), or Can/Cinci & USO, and there is a high probability for picking up some niggling or serious injury after inevitable consecutive QF/SF/F masters matches vs Big4.

Young Murray used to win many masters but was losing in slam the QF/SF/F.

Under Lendl he completely shunned masters and started winning slams, and Murray was a physical beast compared to Stan and also younger.

Sampras was certainly capable of winning HC masters but in his last five seasons he won two masters and four slams.

In his last three seasons he entered three USO finals (F,F,W) but just one QF in Canada and one 3R in Cinci as the best results therein.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Instead of giving out bagels to opponents, Wawa looks as if he’s consuming them both on & off court too much. Musetti’s not shabby but the point being fitness/conditioning is part of winning tennis & if Stan doesn’t take it seriously enough, he could b on his way to Nalbandian territory.

·
Registered
67,705 Posts
Wtf Stan

·
justice for all
14,368 Posts
Djokovic fans’ saltness towards Stan is sweet. Just shows how much pain Stanimal inflicted on them.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Djokovic fans’ saltness towards Stan is sweet. Just shows how much pain Stanimal inflicted on them.
We'll always have Paris.

(I already did this joke here some years back but I don't care, it's my joke and it's great so I'm allowed to post it every couple of years or so).
And New York...and Melbourne
Stanimal is long overdue a monument for services to tennis and humanity. Without him The Evil One would undoubtedly have the Slam record already, the DCGS and whatnot (even without the 40-15 debacle).

·
MONSOON season.
81,662 Posts
Wawrinka can't afford these slow starts or total collapses every match. It happened in Prague too, but he got away with it.

Fair play to Musetti. Great variety.

Reactions: MWW

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
´The USO field was not depleted because of Wawrinka, that's for sure, and he looks more out of shape than ever.
Which I find strange, given he's been working hard on the physical preparation during the lockdown. I've been following him on ig, every day there were training videos, weight and cardio. But he also did a decent amount of BBQing though...

·
Registered
591 Posts
This was definitely not only Stan playing bad. When Stan stepped up, the Italian matched him. Beautiful game and great touch. We'll be seeing more of him I'm sure.

·
Registered
500 Posts
This is hardly relevant for Stan's appearance at RG. We know he will find some form there and win a couple of matches. Its always been the case.

·
Your visions will happen
48,094 Posts
Gotta watch this one on replay I guess. Was excited to see this kid for the firs time but especially now wow

Probably another Wawrinka 1000 special. Expecting him to play Hamburg and get better and do well in RG

·
Registered
15,513 Posts
Which I find strange, given he's been working hard on the physical preparation during the lockdown. I've been following him on ig, every day there were training videos, weight and cardio. But he also did a decent amount of BBQing though...
That's the point. If he could cut down his intake of greasy meat, then he could better balance his body and his results would become more consistent.

Reactions: n00b

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Lmao so much for skipping the US swing and playing challengers to prepare for clay and RG. Struggling in so many matches at those challengers and now this loss against a newbie, eating a bagel along the way.

Musetti’s future is bright though. I really liked what I saw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gotta watch this one on replay I guess. Was excited to see this kid for the firs time but especially now wow

Probably another Wawrinka 1000 special. Expecting him to play Hamburg and get better and do well in RG
You sure he ll do Hamburg? He is not on the list so far

·
Your visions will happen
48,094 Posts
61 - 77 of 77 Posts