Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
23,212 Posts
Not sure how in the world Stan went from winning 7 matches in a row and me thinking he having more confidence now against these lower ranked players, only to lose the first 8 games for some reason (wasn't able to watch how) against #249. Musetti played well from what I saw especially in the FH, but at times I feel you can't really gauge defense against Stan who can be pretty poor at it. As usual you can't use this as a gauge on how he'll do in RG as we know from recent history. Quite surprising how poor he is in Rome lately -- I think he only won 2 matches here since he beat Nadal in 2015.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Who is this kid»? I guess Stan is a bit out of shape. But damm, this kid was making some insane shots.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
´The USO field was not depleted because of Wawrinka, that's for sure, and he looks more out of shape than ever.
The USO was just depleted of Nadal and Monfils -- Counting off Fed

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Only watched from 6-0 2-0 and Musetti was really good, he was barely missing while going for big shots. Wawrinka was starting to play better as the set was progressing, but a shit tiebreak ended it for him.
Musetti is some talent, let's see if he can produce the same tennis against Kei.
I think that Musetti has a really good chance against Kei. The young Italian has been playing a few challengers on clay before with some good results and Kei is just coming back and is yet far from his best.

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
Who is this kid»?
Never heard of him? He won the junior AO last year... and was RU at junior USO the year prior.

Reactions: Spinn69 and Fargif

·
23,212 Posts
Will say I'm quite surprised to see someone young again get a OHBH. From what I see, young OHBH that go on usually become cream of the crop lately. Served looked pretty good (although against Stan whose RoS is subpar I'm not too sure) and seemingly has a good power FH. As more defensive players like Sascha and Medvedev rise it seems more offensive newcomers also come to balance it out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
While the U.S. swing has been going on, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Musetti and Alcaraz play clay challengers. They already seem physically prepared for the tour, and their games are a lot more attractive to the eye compared to the preceding generation's rigid baseline power. I'm hoping they are somehow fast tracked to prodigy status in the next year or two to provide a much needed contrast to the players who currently reside at the top of the game.

Wawrinka was horrible, though. Skipping the USO may not have been wise after all...

·
Registered
15,545 Posts

·
Registered
4,790 Posts

Wawrinka will be no threat for any Top 30 player at RG, if he continues this spiral in form.
When he made RG W & F he had reached 3R,3R,SF & 3R,2R,3R respectively at the clay masters.

Last year he lost 1R in Rome but denied Tsitsipas QF stage at RG (8:6 in the fifth) and then lost a tough 4-setter to Federer who won both TBs.

Similar is true for HC masters before Stan's USO title or after AO title.

So, as usual, Stan is going to be a threat and no top-4 player would like to meet fresh Stan in 4R..

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
While the U.S. swing has been going on, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Musetti and Alcaraz play clay challengers. They already seem physically prepared for the tour, and their games are a lot more attractive to the eye compared to the preceding generation's rigid baseline power. I'm hoping they are somehow fast tracked to prodigy status in the next year or two to provide some much needed youthful vigor and entertainment to the players who currently reside at the top of the game.
I've read at Chatango that they could be the next Fed-Nadal rivalry. Interesting, if true

Wawrinka was horrible, though. Skipping the USO may not have been wise after all...
Absolutely, he made the worst decision of his life, it seems.
Though historically he had always been able to bounce back at RG, in last 7 years, no matter how bad was his pre-clay season.

Reactions: Spinn69

·
Registered
9,107 Posts
Who is this kid»? I guess Stan is a bit out of shape. But damm, this kid was making some insane shots.
A former #1 junior and USO '18 boys RU and AO '19 boys winner as a 16 yo. By no means he's a no name at juniors level. But this is clearly a different world.
My stream was a slideshow so it was hard to get a complete impression. The thing that surprised me the most was how casual he was. The biggest match in his very short pro career and he looked as if he's been doing this for a decade.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Never heard of him? He won the junior AO last year... and was RU at junior USO the year prior.
I rarely look at juniors. Because most flame out. When i see qualifiers i tend to losse faith.
Lets see how he does next roung. Then what he did today maybe was a sight of whats to come. Or Stan was really bad.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,091 Posts
bandwagon rolling in full force I see already

Nishikori will destroy this little punk
Even I am not so convinced. Musetti is quite a dynamo and Nishikori has lost power, speed and consistency. It could be tricky unless he finds a way to keep his baseline and rush Musetti off the ground.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts