Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Better from Coric, who clearly learned and adjusted from their previous meeting. Served well today and didn't crumble after losing the first set TB once again.

FAA played well for long patches and recovered admirably in the first set from an early break... However, it was the brief lapses and especially DFs that cost him today.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Not many replies so far, still very early in Canada, especially in the west part (Vancouver, etc.).
You're right about the time difference. Unfortunately, I was only able to watch the first set before going to work and can only comment on that one. I thought Felix came back well after playing a bad game in order to gift the break away earlier in the set. He was the one who took the initiative in the tie break and was clutch to win it. I'll still watch the rest of the match tonight in order to see what happened next. Very disappointing but not that surprising.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Things won't be easy for FAA, as a pretty big pack of Next Gen 7-10 players (aged 20-23) already made that transition from young. They are a step ahead in experience and they are many. That is for those wanting greatness out of him right away. Of course , not even counting consolidated Gen U , battle tested veterans and the 3 usual suspects .

·
Registered
428 Posts
Things won't be easy for FAA, as a pretty big pack of Next Gen 7-10 players (aged 20-23) already made that transition from young. They are a step ahead in experience and they are many. That is for those wanting greatness out of him right away. Of course , not even counting consolidated Gen U , battle tested veterans and the 3 usual suspects .
You mean guys Shapovalov and Tsitsipas, who he just beat?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
You mean guys Shapovalov and Tsitsipas, who he just beat?
Do you think FAA is better than Tsitsipas ? He just beat Nadal who in turn had beat FAA almost easy.

Anyway, the point was that the tour is real deep and harder than 16' 17'. The deepest I can remember. One victory or a string of them doesn't tell a story. And we're heading into a solid top 15-20 of which FAA will be part, of course. But just that until he can sort out things like everybody else. The experience still is a factor in say Zverev, Coric or Tsitsipas (even Shapo) who already beat the big fishes, FAA did nothing of the sort yet.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It is way too early to say who is better. FAA is only 18, and Shapovalov and Tsitsipas are both 20. So far, Tsitsipas is the one who has impressed me the most, but nothing says results better than longevity. The issue I see with Tsitsipas is his body weight ratio to height. It's extremely poor and may make him prone to joint and muscle injuries. It's not a given, but it's a much greater danger for someone like him and Zverev, than others who have a better ratio. When that ratio is poor, the joints, muscles, ligaments and soft tissue are under tremendous pressure and more likely to become strained and injured. He needs to put on at least 20 pounds of muscle to try and even it out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Do you think FAA is better than Tsitsipas ? He just beat Nadal who in turn had beat FAA almost easy.

Anyway, the point was that the tour is real deep and harder than 16' 17'. The deepest I can remember. One victory or a string of them doesn't tell a story. And we're heading into a solid top 15-20 of which FAA will be part, of course. But just that until he can sort out things like everybody else. The experience still is a factor in say Zverev, Coric or Tsitsipas (even Shapo) who already beat the big fishes, FAA did nothing of the sort yet.
I'd agree with you on clay. I think on hard court Felix can at least give a good game to those four Next Gen's, which he's shown, maybe not as the favorite quite yet. The moral of the latest series on clay is that clay has intricacies that will take time for Felix to master and stay with his peers. The outer-inner tennis sanctum is still in his reach, meaning top 20 by the end of the year, or better.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You think Felix can be higher than top 20 this year? That is a tall order. I don't say it's impossible, because almost anything can happen in competitive sport. First, he's never proven himself on grass. So, let's see how does in the grass season. HC is still his forte, so the late summer/early fall will be his best chance to do well again. He's out of Rome and I doubt he'll do much at RG. There are just too many better players ahead of him right now though to assume he can be inside the top 20. I understand the desire to support this young man and his amazing abilities, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I can't comment on the match since I haven't seen it - it was simply too early for me today. I looked at the statistics and Coric's are better just about everywhere, so he deserved the win. I wish Félix's serve was more stable though. It went better against Shapovalov.

As I've said numerous time earlier, I simply appreciate Félix's success when it comes. Since Miami, he's won against players ranked below him and lost against players ranked above him, including Coric today. Considering he's so new to the top 30ish and that this wasn't a given even 6 months ago while he was not yet in the top 100, that's an improvement. If he keeps going like that and has one or two more good runs as those in Rio and Miami until the end of the year, it should be enough to allow him to keep moving up in the standings. I don't expect more than that at the moment. BTW, he's 13th in the race as of today, so if that materialises, it could turn out to be enough for a top 20.

As for his ranking, he was defending only 15 points this week from a Challenger quarterfinal last year, but this was the first Masters 1000 he got into thanks to his ranking, which awarded him with 10. It means a net loss of only 5 points this week.

Look at how close the rankings are between Pella who's 21st and Félix who is 30th: there are less than 150 points in between these two. I won't attempt to predict when he'll reach the top 20, but he could easily move up within that group. He plays Lyon next week, while most players will rest, and will be seeded at Roland-Garros. In those three weeks, he has 8 points to defend from a win in the first round of qualification, but will gain 10 just by showing up in Roland-Garros.

Félix started the week ranked 30, but is currently 27th in the live rankings. He already passed Simon and Edmund since they too lost in the first round, but had more to defend from last year. Lajovic unfortunately couldn't qualify, so he remains below Félix. Goffin dropped down several ranks in the live rankings, but he faces Wawrinka in the first round, who himself is ranked just above Félix, so either way, it keeps Félix in the battle within this group. The other players below him would have to win a few rounds to catch up with him this week.

The grass season will be very interesting, combining Félix's little experience on the surface and points to defend from a Challenger title and runner up. That's where he could drop (if he doesn't compensate in Lyon and RG prior) or remain where he is right now, but it won't be long before it will be hard again and Félix really doesn't have all that much to defend for the rest of the year. Like, only 6 to 7 wins in total from August to October would be enough to keep him where he is right now if he starts that part of the season around 30. If he does better than that, he could be top 20.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Felix just looked off to me. I wonder if the season hasn't started wearing him down a bit? He has played a lot this year at the ATP level. Borna is one of those players I hate to love. I never know what he is going to do in a match.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
At FAA's age Tsitsipas lost FO R1 to Karlovic and failed to qualify for US Open. He got his first ever main draw win just 19 months ago. Things can change rapidly when players are so young.

For now this was a boy vs man kinda match. I expected Coric to win - his form seems to be improving and the scoreline makes it look closer than it actually was. Felix lacked energy and couldn't stay focused for more than two points. He constantly found himself lagging behind, tried to fight back, put up some crazy defense with impossible shots only to follow up with the most trivial errors. Oh well... On to the next one. Lyon has a softish draw. Hopefully he'll gain some confidence there before FO.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
For now this was a boy vs man kinda match.
Yeah, exactly my point, and I kinda agree now it will take time for him in clay to catch up with Next Gen. The thing is they already are doing it.

But for some FAA is already there, or even better just because his 18 years old and already 30ish in the world. FAA was expected to do better only based on the South America clay swing and slow HC.

Caution, a strong top 20 is in formation since last year and it's not clear who (if any ) will take a clear cut lead over the pack behind the big 3 , delpo (if healthy) + Thiem .

May take a while that's all I'm saying. It will be a nice couple of years to see how all pans out

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
FAA was expected to do better only based on the South America clay swing and slow HC.
He was expected to do great since he was 14 y.o. actually.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
People keep forgetting FAA is only 18 and still needs to grow physically.

Nole at 18 was losing to Safin 6:0 6:2 6:1. Give the kid few years to fill up.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Beautiful win from beautiful player!! Will go all the way to semi

1 - 19 of 19 Posts