Mens Tennis Forums banner

321 - 327 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
29,207 Posts
I disagree with you on several points here. But the fact that you took the time to express your thoughts is commendable.

About the highlighted bit: many moons ago I was a member of an online F1 community. I had frequent disagreements with a guy which often escalated into profanities due to his short temper. We had the same dynamic as with you. Myself, the "pompous, arrogant arse" and him, the "blustering, obscene punk". One day he asked me what if we once had the chance to grab a beer, sit down and talk through our differences, what would I say to him in person (the admin of the forum organised some get together events each year where members could meet and talk IRL, it was good fun). I said to the guy that since I don't really like you and you don't really like me, my answer would be that I don't grab a beer and talk with people I don't like. He responded angrily: "if you said that to my face then I'd punch you in the fucking nose to break it, you son of a bitch". I really laughed out loud at his honesty.

He became one of my closest friends since. We even work together as freelancers and I trust him with my life.

I respect gutsy and honest opinions. That's totally different from mindless quarrelling. You might just be an okay guy after all.
Quite the turnaround eh. I suspect I would've gotten along fine with that chap as well. I can somewhat respect even the most deluded fanboys on here as long as they're honest. (100% intentional trolls are a waste of time though and don't interest me.) You've perhaps noticed I don't shy away from stating my opinion, rude as it may be, but I also don't hold grudges.

As long as you don't tell me or anyone else here how to behave, I suspect we'll get along fine.

Reactions: Justiciar

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Pretty much yes.

That's where you're wrong. This is not real life. Never was, never will be. Many people go online to escape or at least have a break from real life, with its seriousness, obligations and boundaries. They want to let off steam and even act like pricks for a while without being judged or reprimanded. At the end of the day, all of this is pretty harmless. Anyone who thinks this forum is an extension of real life will not stay for long. End of story.

Of course, the line must be drawn somewhere. But every person wants to draw it differently. So it comes down to mods and the policies they set. If you find them too lax, that's okay. My impression over the few years I've been here is that most find the balance just about right. Whether I like it or not.
Yeah I think the lines are quite clear and fair by now . Only perhaps It's just difficult to apply the limits, the extents to when someone , e.g. exceeds disrupting the whole thing . BUt this was not the point here , it is about "respect" , a deluded one if you ask me. It's still a subjective one. Not in the best spirit of following sports IMO which often is irrational (love or hate)

A choice we make regarding participating in something , is whether you focus on the negative ones (Justiciar here) -it's his perogative- or if you're able to go along , play by those rules and focus on what you want/like to get from it within the freedom of the space. There are all kinds of posters for that . Curiously this is also a choice we make in real life.

Ok and I meant real life more in the sense of following sports with differnt friends or my dad, e.g. , sometimes I discuss generally , sometimes I'm an ass , sometimes share the pain , others have to take it . I know this board is not supposed to represent life in other aspects . But since this is a sports forum .

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Tilden was 38y10m when he finished 1931 as the YE #1, and was 39y4m upon his final week at #1, so still some work to do on that one haha
Hahaha ;)... I knew you'd pull out a Reverse Uno card and then go Draw 4 on me..... Ok mate,I'll see your Tilden record and raise you Nadal not owning the claycourt record of most consecutive clay matches won (81) as that goes to Anthony Wilding with 120.... also Nadal's record of 59 claycourt tournaments won is 'put on ice' due to Jaroslav Drobny winning 92 of them... That puts Nadal 7th on the list.

Also Nadal doesn't have the best claycourt winning % as that goes to Anthony Wilding 96.01%

Nadal's outdoor record of matches won % also takes a back seat as Anthony Wilding once again (92.46%) takes that mantle.

Nadal's record of consecutive years in winning at least 1 title (17) puts him behind as Rosewall & Laver did it 21 consecutive years.

Nadal's record of 8 consecutive tournament victories at a single tournament (Monte Carlo) takes a back seat to the immortal Herbert Roper Barrett who won the Suffolk Championships 14 consecutive years in a row... LOL!!!

I now expect you to hit back with Rosewall leading Federer in certain slam streaks and also awaiting to hear how Federer doesn't quite hold the outright grasscourt matches won as Josiah Ritchie had 572 grasscourt victories .... ;)

·
Your visions will happen
48,559 Posts
Hahaha ;)... I knew you'd pull out a Reverse Uno card and then go Draw 4 on me..... Ok mate,I'll see your Tilden record and raise you Nadal not owning the claycourt record of most consecutive clay matches won (81) as that goes to Anthony Wilding with 120.... also Nadal's record of 59 claycourt tournaments won is 'put on ice' due to Jaroslav Drobny winning 92 of them... That puts Nadal 7th on the list.

Also Nadal doesn't have the best claycourt winning % as that goes to Anthony Wilding 96.01%

Nadal's outdoor record of matches won % also takes a back seat as Anthony Wilding once again (92.46%) takes that mantle.

Nadal's record of consecutive years in winning at least 1 title (17) puts him behind as Rosewall & Laver did it 21 consecutive years.

Nadal's record of 8 consecutive tournament victories at a single tournament (Monte Carlo) takes a back seat to the immortal Herbert Roper Barrett who won the Suffolk Championships 14 consecutive years in a row... LOL!!!

I now expect you to hit back with Rosewall leading Federer in certain slam streaks and also awaiting to hear how Federer doesn't quite hold the outright grasscourt matches won as Josiah Ritchie had 572 grasscourt victories .... ;)
Wilding, Drobny, Ritchie, Roper Barrett, great digs mate

Wilding too many MM events, but his story of motorcycling around Europe with a suitcase and a racquet bag playing 100 plus matches a year is epic, shame he died in war in 1915, by all counts heroically.

Drobny played in the amateur era of the split tour so no top top guys though his story is amazing winning Wimbledon while not really having a home country.

Ritchie played till damn near 70 years old, and Roper Barret made a number of Wimbledon runs and coached British Davis Cup for a while

All your records sound correct, I'd have to double check but the bottom line is we should celebrate the old timers more I agree

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Wilding, Drobny, Ritchie, Roper Barrett, great digs mate

Wilding too many MM events, but his story of motorcycling around Europe with a suitcase and a racquet bag playing 100 plus matches a year is epic, shame he died in war in 1915, by all counts heroically.

Drobny played in the amateur era of the split tour so no top top guys though his story is amazing winning Wimbledon while not really having a home country.

Ritchie played till damn near 70 years old, and Roper Barret made a number of Wimbledon runs and coached British Davis Cup for a while

All your records sound correct, I'd have to double check but the bottom line is we should celebrate the old timers more I agree
.. I was waiting for Federer to break Connors 1274 wins (Federer is currently is 32 behind),which theseth119 desperately wants 'Rogie' & other Fed fans want him to do to finally unleash the golden arrow in my quiver

Yeah great.... now Federer only needs to win 414 more times to beat Rosewall's record of 1655.... Hahhahahaha ;) ... and 98 more titles to surpass Laver's 200.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Yeah I think the lines are quite clear and fair by now . Only perhaps It's just difficult to apply the limits, the extents to when someone , e.g. exceeds disrupting the whole thing . BUt this was not the point here , it is about "respect" , a deluded one if you ask me. It's still a subjective one. Not in the best spirit of following sports IMO which often is irrational (love or hate)

A choice we make regarding participating in something , is whether you focus on the negative ones (Justiciar here) -it's his perogative- or if you're able to go along , play by those rules and focus on what you want/like to get from it within the freedom of the space. There are all kinds of posters for that . Curiously this is also a choice we make in real life.

Ok and I meant real life more in the sense of following sports with differnt friends or my dad, e.g. , sometimes I discuss generally , sometimes I'm an ass , sometimes share the pain , others have to take it . I know this board is not supposed to represent life in other aspects . But since this is a sports forum .
Yeah, I wasn't commenting on your RL analogy. I get that one and I agree. More on the subject of acting on MTF the same you'd act in RL. Such expectations are totally unrealistic. Even if you choose to do so, expecting the same from everyone else is pretty silly.

Reactions: hammett
321 - 327 of 327 Posts