Mens Tennis Forums banner

301 - 320 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
It’s more about what I could do without: derogatory nicknames like Dull, Faker, Berdshit etc. Also calling the players mugs, clowns and whatnot should be banned as well as referring to losses as roastings hence likening players to pigs.

Look, I get it. You guys like it here. But let’s not pretend that this place doesn’t have a certain and well deserved reputation. The main vibe here is of criticising, belittling and mocking. Even the Swedish punk admitted as such, stating that’s what makes this place so special for him. He is special enough alright, but try communicating in IRL like your average MTF user does around here. I think it’s a good rule of thumb: don’t post anything you wouldn’t be prepared to say IRL.
Now you're championing fakery, because that's what dominates "real life" - putting on nice and polite airs. I'd much rather have people tell me what they really think. Like if you think I suck, tell me so I know you're a hater, rather than pretending you're ok with me while internally feeling disdain. Of course, ideally I don't want you thinking negative stuff at all, but that doesn't work. Can't police people's thoughts. So let them pour their hearts out in a special online space rather than accumulate frustration till they do something silly in actuality.

TT is much more civilised for example and can hardly be called dead.
This is largely artifice, the folks over there are almost as biased (on average).

I thought we agreed that we wouldn’t interact with each other, punk. You don’t seem to be able to offer anything of intellectual value anyway. Be gone and post something using your usual teenage parlance of “meh, like, I mean, lol, mug, whatevs”.

There’s a good little punk.
If you're after all a double account, that's super well played, chapeau at least.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Now you're championing fakery, because that's what dominates "real life" - putting on nice and polite airs. I'd much rather have people tell me what they really think. Like if you think I suck, tell me so I know you're a hater, rather than pretending you're ok with me while internally feeling disdain. Of course, ideally I don't want you thinking negative stuff at all, but that doesn't work. Can't police people's thoughts. So let them pour their hearts out in a special online space rather than accumulate frustration till they do something silly in actuality.

This is largely artifice, the folks over there are almost as biased (on average).

If you're after all a double account, that's super well played, chapeau at least.
I appreciate where you are coming from. But I just see it differently. Displeasure can and should be expressed in a civilised way too.

And I am not a double account, but thank you, I guess. Are double accounts that common around here?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I appreciate where you are coming from. But I just see it differently. Displeasure can and should be expressed in a civilised way too.

And I am not a double account, but thank you, I guess. Are double accounts that common around here?
I like how I can't tell whether you're an elaborate double account act or a genuine newcomer, hoho. "Old wise tennis fan" is a schtick that's been done, perhaps surprisingly, more than once I think.

Anyway, to use a current moral buzzword, I could well say being nice about an intrinsically un-nice thing serves to unduly normalise it so people think it's something that's okay. I'm not interested in hearing people express their dislike or disapproval of me (which is obviously not the same as disagreement, which needn't involve a negative emotion/attitude) in acceptable ways, because I'm not interested in those attitudes being acceptable in the first place, but as they do exist then let people say it, it won't ruin anyone like real physical crime does.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
It's not, though, is it?

I reckon less than 5% of MTF warriors (especially certain moderators) have nuts bigger than sultanas in reality,
Depends on you mean by "warriors", in mybook keyboard warriors are generally those who insult people , are menacing and make it personal (presumably living in a basement). As far as I know that's not allowed here , ocassionally happen. So there's a line there , and moderators do a good job to keep it clean , keep it "tard" based which is, want it or not, an essence in following sports , happens in football and other passionate sports , otherwise this would die rapidly like said .

·
Registered
332 Posts
I like how I can't tell whether you're an elaborate double account act or a genuine newcomer, hoho. "Old wise tennis fan" is a schtick that's been done, perhaps surprisingly, more than once I think.

Anyway, to use a current moral buzzword, I could well say being nice about an intrinsically un-nice thing serves to unduly normalise it so people think it's something that's okay. I'm not interested in hearing people express their dislike or disapproval of me (which is obviously not the same as disagreement, which needn't involve a negative emotion/attitude) in acceptable ways, because I'm not interested in those attitudes being acceptable in the first place, but as they do exist then let people say it, it won't ruin anyone like real physical crime does.
That is a good point. Kudos for wording your arguments like that.

And how dare you - I don't think I'm that old :D I'm 37.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Depends on you mean by "warriors", in mybook keyboard warriors are generally those who insult people , are menacing and make it personal (presumably living in a basement). As far as I know that's not allowed here , ocassionally happen. So there's a line there , and moderators do a good job to keep it clean , keep it "tard" based which is, want it or not, an essence in following sports , happens in football and other passionate sports , otherwise this would die rapidly like said .
In response to a post I made about clay court tennis, speaking purely about tennis, I was called a "pedantic prick" by a moderator. Isn't that an insult?

·
Registered
29,206 Posts
Like I said, having the principle of acting respectfully doesn't mean everyone and everything deserves respect. That's a common misconception. He long has been an obnoxious, pugnacious bully. He is not the sharpest tool in the shed either, blabbering about he exposing me for calling him a punk but of course, he doesn't have the mental capacity to understand the idea of Popper's paradox.

I discussed differing opinions with Djoker, DinnerWarrior and others without any issues. Then the punk started a discussion about me out of the blue with another member, without directly addressing me with his criticism. So he was disrespectful and cowardly at the same time. I have no time nor respect for people like him.
Wut? Regardless of how I phrased that first post, it was obvious I was speaking to you. Hey maybe you aren't Tribalfusion after all... while you two share a common unwarranted arrogance, that guy wasn't this thin-skinned and insecure.

I understand Popper's paradox fine, it's just that implementing it has huge issues - which you yourself have demonstrated. In the classical sense of the paradox in question, you're allowed to be intolerant against intolerant people right? Sadly that doesn't give you the right to go after me though chief, since I tolerate pretty much any opinion. Well anything except censorship, for which you are an advocate. Not allowing posters to call players derogatory names? Yes if you want to kill MTF then go ahead and do that. Can I be honest? If I were you I'd ask myself why the fuck I even registered.

Look, if you just pick and choose freely who are worthy of respect, which you seem to do, that has nothing to do with Popper's paradox. Then it's all just about not wanting to listen to opposing views. And that's pretty much what MTF is already doing. It's just that at the moment there's somewhat of a balance between fanbases.
If you ask most Noletards on this board, they'd say that DjokoKing is a fine poster and there's no need to crack down on his trolling. If you ask a Rafatard, they'd say that Bakano is a balanced poster and deserves respect. If you ask me, I'd say that you are entitled trash who doesn't deserve respect. So it's all subjective!

Anyways, you're welcome to stay and keep preaching tolerance while simultaneously insulting those who you don't like. You'll fit right in. Just know you're no better than anyone else here, big guy.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Wut? Regardless of how I phrased that first post, it was obvious I was speaking to you. Hey maybe you aren't Tribalfusion after all... while you two share a common unwarranted arrogance, that guy wasn't this thin-skinned and insecure.

I understand Popper's paradox fine, it's just that implementing it has huge issues - which you yourself have demonstrated. In the classical sense of the paradox in question, you're allowed to be intolerant against intolerant people right? Sadly that doesn't give you the right to go after me though chief, since I tolerate pretty much any opinion. Well anything except censorship, for which you are an advocate. Not allowing posters to call players derogatory names? Yes if you want to kill MTF then go ahead and do that. Can I be honest? If I were you I'd ask myself why the fuck I even registered.

Look, if you just pick and choose freely who are worthy of respect, which you seem to do, that has nothing to do with Popper's paradox. Then it's all just about not wanting to listen to opposing views. And that's pretty much what MTF is already doing. It's just that at the moment there's somewhat of a balance between fanbases.
If you ask most Noletards on this board, they'd say that DjokoKing is a fine poster and there's no need to crack down on his trolling. If you ask a Rafatard, they'd say that Bakano is a balanced poster and deserves respect. If you ask me, I'd say that you are entitled trash who doesn't deserve respect. So it's all subjective!

Anyways, you're welcome to stay and keep preaching tolerance while simultaneously insulting those who you don't like. You'll fit right in. Just know you're no better than anyone else here, big guy.
😂😂😂

7th account Bakano? I have never seen him discuss tennis even once.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
In response to a post I made about clay court tennis, speaking purely about tennis, I was called a "pedantic prick" by a moderator. Isn't that an insult?
Ok that's why I said occasionally happens

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Ok that's why I said occasionally happens
Kowchi, another moderator who knows less about tennis than my mother, has called me most snide things imaginable, so what good is it when you report a moderator for calling you a prick (out of principle) and big Kowchi tends to it? 😂

Anyway, I'm no saint, and it's all fun and games, but at least discuss the tennis properly instead of being a complete noob like the aforementioned. You need to have some kind of redeeming feature.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
He was and then some xD writing those super long-winded pseudoanalytical posts he used to must have required some real conviction.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
The concept of "sports fans" is far too broad in the first place as there are far too many populations to narrow in on, but the guy has already dismissed such a concept a few posts ago by informing that other boards are not like 'this'. I don't have much to say on the matter.

The only thing I'd really get rid of are the people who don't have any interest in discussing the tennis. There's too many circle jerkers scratching each other's backs, who genuinely don't have a clue about tennis - but will happily pile on the snide insults because they are part of a wider circle jerkers group. Several of whom are moderators.

I couldn't care less about anyone's personality if they're here to discuss the tennis.
All these "other" forums prove is that their moderation is stricter. I am not trying to generalize here, but let's not pretend that your average sports fan is hardly distinguishable from an average English poetry lover and the same line of behavior is expected from both. Whether it's IRL or online. Sports communities have their way of communicating, often purposely provocative, and their lingo.

I do agree, however, that some individuals, whose sole activity is opening threads a-la "Player X is a PoS" or "Is Player X the most overachieving mug in history" etc should not be kept around. At least they should be locked in the Ruins, instead of having all their garbage binned over and over. To me, they add zero value and all they do is potentially drive those who are interested in actual discussion away.

The good thing is that you can engage in whichever you want
Pretty much yes.

try communicating in IRL like your average MTF user does around here. I think it’s a good rule of thumb: don’t post anything you wouldn’t be prepared to say IRL.
That's where you're wrong. This is not real life. Never was, never will be. Many people go online to escape or at least have a break from real life, with its seriousness, obligations and boundaries. They want to let off steam and even act like pricks for a while without being judged or reprimanded. At the end of the day, all of this is pretty harmless. Anyone who thinks this forum is an extension of real life will not stay for long. End of story.

Of course, the line must be drawn somewhere. But every person wants to draw it differently. So it comes down to mods and the policies they set. If you find them too lax, that's okay. My impression over the few years I've been here is that most find the balance just about right. Whether I like it or not.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Exactly. Tennis dot com used to have a forum a decade ago (give or take a year or few), and it used to be quite a busy place, full of trolls. As soon as it started to get moderated heavily, it turned super polite and died a quick death, to the point that few even remember it ever existed. So much for that.
In terms of boringness, perpetual bashing is second only to perpetual gushing.

·
Registered
29,206 Posts
He was and then some xD writing those super long-winded pseudoanalytical posts he used to must have required some real conviction.
Yes and that's exactly what I mean. That bitter old bag sure had conviction, and I never found him to be insecure. He was truly blind to how hypocritical he was, which is why he never faltered in his endless ramblings. The forum didn't appreciate his input though, and he finally got what he deserved in the ACC. But maybe he was more sensitive than he let on... he did disappear after grabbing the ACC title after all.

·
Registered
332 Posts

I disagree with you on several points here. But the fact that you took the time to express your thoughts is commendable.

About the highlighted bit: many moons ago I was a member of an online F1 community. I had frequent disagreements with a guy which often escalated into profanities due to his short temper. We had the same dynamic as with you. Myself, the "pompous, arrogant arse" and him, the "blustering, obscene punk". One day he asked me what if we once had the chance to grab a beer, sit down and talk through our differences, what would I say to him in person (the admin of the forum organised some get together events each year where members could meet and talk IRL, it was good fun). I said to the guy that since I don't really like you and you don't really like me, my answer would be that I don't grab a beer and talk with people I don't like. He responded angrily: "if you said that to my face then I'd punch you in the fucking nose to break it, you son of a bitch". I really laughed out loud at his honesty.

He became one of my closest friends since. We even work together as freelancers and I trust him with my life.

I respect gutsy and honest opinions. That's totally different from mindless quarrelling. You might just be an okay guy after all.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
I disagree with you on several points here. But the fact that you took the time to express your thoughts is commendable.

About the highlighted bit: many moons ago I was a member of an online F1 community. I had frequent disagreements with a guy which often escalated into profanities due to his short temper. We had the same dynamic as with you. Myself, the "pompous, arrogant arse" and him, the "blustering, obscene punk". One day he asked me what if we once had the chance to grab a beer, sit down and talk through our differences, what would I say to him in person (the admin of the forum organised some get together events each year where members could meet and talk IRL, it was good fun). I said to the guy that since I don't really like you and you don't really like me, my answer would be that I don't grab a beer and talk with people I don't like. He responded angrily: "if you said that to my face then I'd punch you in the fucking nose to break it, you son of a bitch". I really laughed out loud at his honesty.

He became one of my closest friends since. We even work together as freelancers and I trust him with my life.

I respect gutsy and honest opinions. That's totally different from mindless quarrelling. You might just be an okay guy after all.
OMFG... MTF intervention... It must happen. I must see it.🤣

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
... The first impression I got was another version of Tribal Fusion of long winded paragraphs & posts just whining at every turn about X,Y & Z.

It's almost like an uppity college professor stumbled across this tennis board & decided to put their 2 cents in a form of a thesis.People like that never last on these sites & stick out like dogs balls.
Account was also created at the time tribal left

301 - 320 of 327 Posts