Mens Tennis Forums banner

261 - 280 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Passionate fans are one thing. But often, I cannot follow and understand discussions because of the exaggerated bashing, which leads to major logical contradictions. This is especially true when it comes to big 3 discussions. E.g. If "the other two bug 3" apart from your own favourite are garbage all the time, your own man becomes less of a man.

Overdoing trash talking and creating a bit of a toxic environment is sometimes part of sports. But There is a fine red line between adding excitement through passion and reaching a point of toxic negativity that drags the whole sport down. Clickbait, insults and trolling lead to clicks and polarization but it's not necessarily the positive excitement that sports bring. It's just teen angst amplified by social media.
Excellent post, I wholeheartedly agree.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
He will have to do it during RG, because it's never about practicing. It's about finding the big shots in matches.
I knew 1 clay masters was probably not enough for Rafa to hone his game, so much will depend on his draw, after a few rounds of RG he should be there, but not if he faces someone who plays like Diego played yesterday.
Djok is lucky Kopf had a meltdown in his service game after failing to break. He came apart for one game and that's all Djok needed.
Next he gets Rudd. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Talk about cushy draws to a final.
Doesn't matter. nadal is going to eat him alive. Can't wait.

And I kind of like Djok ... but not here, not now. Plus his bloated fans are getting on my nerves.

It's not 2011 or 2015, hate to tell ya.

Please keep in mind Djok got a masters at S & W beating--and not easily--the exact same two guys, Raonic and Rba--that Posp beat BO5 USO.
Perspective?
Meanwhile all this "we can'[t judge Rafa's level" crap. Well we can judge Djok's that for sure.
He will have to do it during RG, because it's never about practicing. It's about finding the big shots in matches.
I knew 1 clay masters was probably not enough for Rafa to hone his game, so much will depend on his draw, after a few rounds of RG he should be there, but not if he faces someone who plays like Diego played yesterday.

... That's called having your cake and eating it folks!

·
Registered
16,768 Posts
Emotions are one thing, but why would anyone have to put up with individuals talking about murdering sportspeople by stabbing?

View attachment 356778

This lunatic was posting here for years and was a very popular member for his out of control hate and anger. Don't tell me this was okay and only bitter old farts could have a problem with things like that.
That abobe was not posted here on the forum, so irrelevant.
(Maybe helps you to understand his level of hate, but not more.)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Gee, you're an advocate for censorship. It's helpful to some, having an outlet to blow steam. Wishing physical harm isn't permitted, as it should be. It's actually terrific we've got three large tennis communities (MTF, TTW and r/tennis) with differing standards so one may hop between all three depending on mood and points to be made.
No. I advocate respectful communication.

As I stated earlier, there are many online sports forums, many communities, many platforms filled with emotions and fan groups. Yet, MTF is the only place out of all these forums where members are allowed to create hate threads, label themselves "proud haters", referring to athletes in all sort of derogatory and mocking names (Faker, Nadull, etc), creating a toxic and vile environment. However you try to look at it, this is an MTF-thing exclusively. Why forums.autosport.com or footballforums.net don't have any member signatures stating "proud hater of x"? Why don't these places have most hated driver/rider/goalkeeper/striker threads where even moderators contribute? Why don't members on these forums refer to the athletes as mugs, clowns, useless, pathetic, disgusting etc? Heck, even on boxingforum24.com, which is dedicated to a sport that has trash talk integrated into its culture and where testosterone-fuelled emotions are flying high, you would never see such things.

Why? Don't they have passionate members? Don't they have a sense of humour? Don't they have rivalling fan groups? Don't they want to have fun, don't they need to blow some steam off?

Of course, the answer is very simple: the moderation on these boards are not allowing hateful and toxic behaviour to become a standard like it happened here on MTF. Censorship and the current standards of MTF are the two extremes of the scale and all other major sports forums seem to manage to find a healthy balance. It's only MTF where members can freely act in such a boorish and contemptuous manner toward literally anyone and anything related to a particular sport and its culture.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
... That's called having your cake and eating it folks!
Actually if Raf had gotten past Diego, he would have clobbered Djok, that's IF he got past Shap too.
Djok was the weakest of all the players coming through, based on the Koep match.
I think either Shap or Diego will beat Djok, if they can keep their level where it currently is.
If Djok gets into form, then he likely wins. Like Rafa he's not in form (as a djok fan you should know this).

That expression of having your cake and eating it too never impressed me much, I mean, anyone who has cake eats it, right?

·
Registered
29,207 Posts
Da fuck? Who does this 44 posts Justiciar guy think he is? MTF actually letting people say more or less what they want and feel is the only thing that makes this forum worthwhile. Fuck censorship and hard moderation, fuck it to hell. Please stop preaching, get off your high horse, and read wikipedia if you want straight tennis facts and not opinions. Stop trying to get MTF to adapt to YOU. The second it does, the activity on here would drop by maybe 70%.

"It's only MTF where members can freely act in such a boorish and contemptuous manner toward literally anyone and anything related to a particular sport and its culture." - that's right, and it's what makes this place special. You're free to leave at any time. In fact I encourage it.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Da fuck? Who does this 44 posts Justiciar guy think he is? MTF actually letting people say more or less what they want and feel is the only thing that makes this forum worthwhile. Fuck censorship and hard moderation, fuck it to hell. Please stop preaching, get off your high horse, and read wikipedia if you want straight tennis facts and not opinions. Stop trying to get MTF to adapt to YOU. The second it does, the activity on here would drop by maybe 70%.

"It's only MTF where members can freely act in such a boorish and contemptuous manner toward literally anyone and anything related to a particular sport and its culture." - that's right, and it's what makes this place special. You're free to leave at any time. In fact I encourage it.
... The first impression I got was another version of Tribal Fusion of long winded paragraphs & posts just whining at every turn about X,Y & Z.

It's almost like an uppity college professor stumbled across this tennis board & decided to put their 2 cents in a form of a thesis.People like that never last on these sites & stick out like dogs balls.

·
Registered
29,207 Posts
... The first impression I got was another version of Tribal Fusion of long winded paragraphs & posts just whining at every turn about X,Y & Z.

It's almost like an uppity college professor stumbled across this tennis board & decided to put their 2 cents in a form of a thesis.People like that never last on these sites & stick out like dogs balls.
Speaking of which, didn't Tribalfusion go into self-imposed exile like 10-11 months ago when he realized the entire forum found him to be a hypocrite? And this guy joined 8 months ago?
Not saying there's a connection, but it sure would explain why I instinctively found Justy's posts to be so arrogant and patronizing.

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Speaking of which, didn't Tribalfusion go into self-imposed exile like 10-11 months ago when he realized the entire forum found him to be a hypocrite? And this guy joined 8 months ago?
Not saying there's a connection, but it sure would explain why I instinctively found Justy's posts to be so arrogant and patronizing.
.. All I know is that I haven't encountered any of Tribalfusion's posts in 2020.... Last I recall is circa a year or so.

.. but yeah they are similar in style,content,paragraphing and overall pretentiousness.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
I appreciate where you are coming from but I think there's a difference between joking, banter and outright provocation and hatred bordering on insanity. MTF is the only major sports forum where members can and do comment in an abusive and disrespectful manner. MTF is also the only major sports forum where hundreds of members can casually claim that they are "proud haters" of such and such players. MTF is also the only major sports forum where creating a thread of "most hated player" year in year out was not only allowed by the moderation but the moderators themselves contributed with their own lists. MTF is the only forum where deranged individuals like Slade (a lunatic who was openly pondering about murdering Nadal by stabbing) was allowed to keep posting for years.

This is not about me taking things too seriously. I challenge anyone who thinks this is the case to go to and sign up to any other major sports forum to try and act the same way. Creating signatures about being a "proud hater of Hamilton" or opening a thread of "most hated MotoGP riders" on the autosport.com forum would rightly result in an instant permaban and not encouragement and even participation by the moderators.

And obviously, people are just people and they naturally will always push the envelope as far as they are all allowed. It is the moderation's fault that despite being the biggest online community for one of the most popular sports in the world, these behaviours became the standard for the majority of GM users. Heck, I seem to recall even the sister site of MTF, TF has dedicated a topic about how and why MTF is such a mean spirited and vile community. So no, even though I really do appreciate where you are coming from, this is not just simply the case of me taking this forum too seriously when it is all just hyperboles and banter. The moderation let all these boorish behaviours to become a standard and it's a real shame that this is the best the biggest online tennis community can offer.
Like I said, you're not wrong. However, sports fans in general are not the most civilized creatures, internet or not. And every online community has its own culture, character, and traditions. MTF's is slightly resembling an asylum. Personally, I would too like to see mods be less tolerant about certain things. To me, boorishness adds no value. I don't find it amusing nor fun in any way. However, many posters here do. There are player forums where blatant negativity isn't permitted and those are deader than dead. Why do you think is that?

Your opinion is normal and it's fine to voice it. If enough people did (wouldn't happen), maybe things would have shaped up somewhat differently. But, the point is that feeling deeply offended by what you read on these boards is not going to change anything. It will only ruin your personal experience. It'll be infinitely more pleasant if you choose to focus on the good and not on the bad. There's plenty of good as well.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've been a lurker since around 2014 but never actually registered before. During these years you have always come across one of the most obnoxious members around here with your general "meh, I guess, whatever" attitude and desperate attempts at sounding the coolest thing ever. So the good news is that the feeling is mutual and we won't have much interaction as I don't think we have anything to discuss with regards to tennis or otherwise.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Like I said, you're not wrong. However, sports fans in general are not the most civilized creatures, internet or not. And every online community has its own culture, character, and traditions. MTF's is slightly resembling an asylum. Personally, I would too like to see mods be less tolerant about certain things. To me, boorishness adds no value. I don't find it amusing nor fun in any way. However, many posters here do. There are player forums where blatant negativity isn't permitted and those are deader than dead. Why do you think is that?

Your opinion is normal and it's fine to voice it. If enough people did (wouldn't happen), maybe things would have shaped up somewhat differently. But, the point is that feeling deeply offended by what you read on these boards is not going to change anything. It will only ruin your personal experience. It'll be infinitely more pleasant if you choose to focus on the good and not on the bad. There's plenty of good as well.
The concept of "sports fans" is far too broad in the first place as there are far too many populations to narrow in on, but the guy has already dismissed such a concept a few posts ago by informing that other boards are not like 'this'. I don't have much to say on the matter.

The only thing I'd really get rid of are the people who don't have any interest in discussing the tennis. There's too many circle jerkers scratching each other's backs, who genuinely don't have a clue about tennis - but will happily pile on the snide insults because they are part of a wider circle jerkers group. Several of whom are moderators.

I couldn't care less about anyone's personality if they're here to discuss the tennis.

·
Registered
29,207 Posts
I've been a lurker since around 2014 but never actually registered before. During these years you have always come across one of the most obnoxious members around here with your general "meh, I guess, whatever" attitude and desperate attempts at sounding the coolest thing ever. So the good news is that the feeling is mutual and we won't have much interaction as I don't think we have anything to discuss with regards to tennis or otherwise.
2014 hahah yes yes sure. And fast forward six years, despite the forum actually changing for the worse (in your opinion), in 2020 you THEN decide to join, with the sole purpose of spreading your gospel of censorship and political correctness to all. You're damn right we have nothing to discuss. Pathetic. Utterly pathetic.

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I appreciate where you are coming from but I think there's a difference between joking, banter and outright provocation and hatred bordering on insanity. MTF is the only major sports forum where members can and do comment in an abusive and disrespectful manner. MTF is also the only major sports forum where hundreds of members can casually claim that they are "proud haters" of such and such players. MTF is also the only major sports forum where creating a thread of "most hated player" year in year out was not only allowed by the moderation but the moderators themselves contributed with their own lists. MTF is the only forum where deranged individuals like Slade (a lunatic who was openly pondering about murdering Nadal by stabbing) was allowed to keep posting for years.

This is not about me taking things too seriously. I challenge anyone who thinks this is the case to go to and sign up to any other major sports forum to try and act the same way. Creating signatures about being a "proud hater of Hamilton" or opening a thread of "most hated MotoGP riders" on the autosport.com forum would rightly result in an instant permaban and not encouragement and even participation by the moderators.

And obviously, people are just people and they naturally will always push the envelope as far as they are all allowed. It is the moderation's fault that despite being the biggest online community for one of the most popular sports in the world, these behaviours became the standard for the majority of GM users. Heck, I seem to recall even the sister site of MTF, TF has dedicated a topic about how and why MTF is such a mean spirited and vile community. So no, even though I really do appreciate where you are coming from, this is not just simply the case of me taking this forum too seriously when it is all just hyperboles and banter. The moderation let all these boorish behaviours to become a standard and it's a real shame that this is the best the biggest online tennis community can offer.
Ok , this is some over reaction . It's nice being able to choose a) discussing positive tennis generally , b) enjoying and gloating over someone's victory OR c) pocking fun - trolling (yeah some hating / let out too) at whoever .

The good thing is that you can engage in whichever you want , there are all kinds of posters around , and many fluctuate between options as they go on , learn or want whatever . Take Budadiii e.g. you'll never know what you 'll get from him and that's the beauty of Mtf , it's like real life

·
Registered
997 Posts

It's almost like an uppity college professor stumbled across this tennis board & decided to put their 2 cents in a form of a thesis
.People like that never last on these sites & stick out like dogs balls.
😂😂😂

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Ok , this is some over reaction . It's nice being able to choose a) discussing positive tennis generally , b) enjoying and gloating over someone's victory OR c) pocking fun - trolling (yeah some hating / let out too) at whoever .

The good thing is that you can engage in whichever you want , there are all kinds of posters around , and many fluctuate between options as they go on , learn or want whatever . Take Budadiii e.g. you'll never know what you 'll get from him and that's the beauty of Mtf , it's like real life
It's not, though, is it?

I reckon less than 5% of MTF warriors (especially certain moderators) have nuts bigger than sultanas in reality, but they figuratively swagger around the forum as if they're lugging around McGlashan Stones.

You can see who the decent people are through the bravado and you can just as easily see who the snakes are.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
No. I advocate respectful communication.

As I stated earlier, there are many online sports forums, many communities, many platforms filled with emotions and fan groups. Yet, MTF is the only place out of all these forums where members are allowed to create hate threads, label themselves "proud haters", referring to athletes in all sort of derogatory and mocking names (Faker, Nadull, etc), creating a toxic and vile environment. However you try to look at it, this is an MTF-thing exclusively. Why forums.autosport.com or footballforums.net don't have any member signatures stating "proud hater of x"? Why don't these places have most hated driver/rider/goalkeeper/striker threads where even moderators contribute? Why don't members on these forums refer to the athletes as mugs, clowns, useless, pathetic, disgusting etc? Heck, even on boxingforum24.com, which is dedicated to a sport that has trash talk integrated into its culture and where testosterone-fuelled emotions are flying high, you would never see such things.

Why? Don't they have passionate members? Don't they have a sense of humour? Don't they have rivalling fan groups? Don't they want to have fun, don't they need to blow some steam off?

Of course, the answer is very simple: the moderation on these boards are not allowing hateful and toxic behaviour to become a standard like it happened here on MTF. Censorship and the current standards of MTF are the two extremes of the scale and all other major sports forums seem to manage to find a healthy balance. It's only MTF where members can freely act in such a boorish and contemptuous manner toward literally anyone and anything related to a particular sport and its culture.
You call their balance healthy because you like it. Of course, things seem more harmonious when dissent is silenced. Yeah mugstennisforums is quite rude, well rudeness exists, better to have it expressed than let it stew internally. Negativity won't disappear because you ban it, only from public view. Thankfully, other tennis communities exist as alternatives so you're in no way confined to wrestling with harsh attitudes.

Too much attention paid to form rather than content. It'd be nicer if people expressed themselves more gently, but anything other than thoughtful match analysis is fluff anyway, that adds nothing to the actual discussion. Folks come here for emotions mostly. Also sweet of you, of course, to omit that the very point you're making is disrespectful of certain people and attitudes, even as you deem them worthy of disrespect.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It's not, though, is it?

I reckon less than 5% of MTF warriors (especially certain moderators) have nuts bigger than sultanas in reality, but they figuratively swagger around the forum as if they're lugging around McGlashan Stones.

You can see who the decent people are through the bravado and you can just as easily see who the snakes are.
That's the perfect description of a certain Swedish punk, well said.

261 - 280 of 327 Posts