Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
57,602 Posts
More rest? He is going to have to come back early afternoon tomorrow after Shapo match tonight

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More rest? He is going to have to come back early afternoon tomorrow after Shapo match tonight
You should know the history of this tournament match better. Also there is a HUGE difference between first and second match in the night season here.
You do not need my help to know how many times player who played 2nd semi won this event. And how many times Rafa played 2nd semi final?

Novak lost final because of it in 2012, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021...I mean not only because of it, but partly. And how many times Rafa played night semi final? It took 2011 Novak for us to have a winner from 2nd semi.

In general Rafa is almost never playing night matches in QF and SF stage here. When it maters the most.

·
Registered
585 Posts
This is really SCANDAL of the highest order. Time and time again ROME organizers doing this to Novak.

Just take a look - ATP Masters 1000 Rome | Daily Schedule | ATP Tour | Tennis. Why are they giving Rafa so much more rest ? They have been helping him like this for the last 10-15 years here. And he won few titles because of it.
Well,what to said you my friend,we ve seen in many times here,we ve seen it almost every year at Roland Garros,either bad schedule or always second SF,i think his half will play 1st only when he is 38-39 years old.We ve also seen it many times at US Open.And let me remind you the absurdity in 2016 Wimbledon when the defending champions of all 4 slams was put outside Centre Court but with time you accept it. At least this year Novak prooved us that he is something far greater than great tennis player, good and honourable person with principles,and that is far more important

·
Your visions will happen
57,602 Posts
You should know the history of this tournament match better. Also there is a HUGE difference between first and second match in the night season here.
You do not need my help to know how many times player who played 2nd semi won this event. And how many times Rafa played 2nd semi final?

Novak lost final because of it in 2012, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021...I mean not only because of it, but partly. And how many times Rafa played night semi final? It took 2011 Novak for us to have a winner from 2nd semi.

In general Rafa is almost never playing night matches in QF and SF stage here. When it maters the most.
I've never kept track of who plays the night match or who plays the day match or who has more or less rest, it does not matter

As a player you have to go out there and get it done, no excuses

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never kept track of who plays the night match or who plays the day match or who has more or less rest, it does not matter

We agree to disagree here. It maters a lot, specially when the same player is getting harder schedule time and time again ( and the other one much better one).

Also for the last 12-13 years only once the player who played 2nd semi one. You can nor forget that. It is not much different in Madrid.

But as you said, most people forget that at the end. That is why "it hurts" more more.

Novak is last tomorrow,why not put him 7pm?
I agree 100%. It makes a HUGE difference. Take a look today. Rafa started at 8pm, and it is expected that he will finish around 10pm.The last match will be lucky to finish before midnight, and that can not be compared. Also if you play the last match and you are little unlucky, you will finish around 1 PM and it can change your tournament so much. If you are supposed to play at 7pm it is unlikely that you will finish after 11pm.

·
Registered
736 Posts

Surprised this is coming from you, not keeping track of this important factor/indicator.

You better should keep track of it. Because what RandomFan writes is correct. There is huge influence as seen in Zverev losing to Alcaraz badly when your match is scheduled and how it influence your performance level for the next day.

·
Your visions will happen
57,602 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Here is the reason what I think happened:

1) Nadal - Ruud (CLASH OF RN ACADEMY) - too boring, Nadal will take it.

2) Nadal asked for the day session.

3) Djokovic asked for the night session

4) Djokovic - FAA - 2 Top 8 seeds, could get interesting -> highlight of the day, better for TV sellings/viewers

End of the story.

·
Your visions will happen
57,602 Posts
We agree to disagree here. It maters a lot, specially when the same player is getting harder schedule time and time again ( and the other one much better one).

Also for the last 12-13 years only once the player who played 2nd semi one. You can nor forget that. It is not much different in Madrid.

But as you said, most people forget that at the end. That is why "it hurts" more more.

I agree 100%. It makes a HUGE difference. Take a look today. Rafa started at 8pm, and it is expected that he will finish around 10pm.The last match will be lucky to finish before midnight, and that can not be compared. Also if you play the last match and you are little unlucky, you will finish around 1 PM and it can change your tournament so much. If you are supposed to play at 7pm it is unlikely that you will finish after 11pm.
Surprised this is coming from you, not keeping track of this important factor/indicator.

You better should keep track of it. Because what RandomFan writes is correct. There is huge influence as seen in Zverev losing to Alcaraz badly when your match is scheduled and how it influence your performance level for the next day.
You guys are talking from a fan perspective

As a player, you have to play the schedule, do what you can to be prepared for whenever you play and whoever you play

If you worry about who had more or less rest, you are already lost

·
Your visions will happen
57,602 Posts
"I will play anybody, anywhere, anytime, any surface, on any amount of rest, I don't give a fuck"

That's the mindset you must have

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

As a player, you have to play the schedule, do what you can to be prepared for whenever you play and whoever you play

I do no agree. you should TALK A LOT about it, put pressure on organizers. I am pretty sure Rafa ( or Toni) has been doing this for many years. Yes, I think Novak should have been doing what Zverev did in Madrid many many times in his life.

I know its not fair, but organizers are not fair at the first place, so you have to do the same.

·
Your visions will happen
57,602 Posts
I do no agree. you should TALK A LOT about it, put pressure on organizers. I am pretty sure Rafa ( or Toni) has been doing this for many years. Yes, I think Novak should have been doing what Zverev did in Madrid many many times in his life.

I know its not fair, but organizers are not fair at the first place, so you have to do the same.
Of course you play the game but at the end of the day, I don't care what time you play you must perform

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

Nole is lucky that it will be sf and not f if they both advance,because it will be sf at 7pm minimum.

·
Registered
736 Posts

You being correct with this conclusion (I absolutely agree with this mindset) does not make us wrong with our (fan) experiencing.

Players confirmed it already. They know they could have played much better with more resting time and energy AFTER they have lost. They felt it during the match, their legs, their shots, their reaction time. All of it is subpar to what it should have been or felt like.

A fresh Djokovic would have taken Medvedev to 5 sets and would have won the USO last year. One major example but only because Medvedev is mentally not the best in Bo5 matches.

You certainly know Johnny Groove that your mind can not always ignore the pain, heaviness and feel for tiredness for a whole day and during the match. Body will make you aware of its constitution/situation. Does not matter how much you turn into Dalai Lama or the Wolf.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts