Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well,the expected result but im proud of David.G for how competitive he made it when everyone else thought this would be easy for ferrer

·
The Last Mohican
24,520 Posts
Re: Rome QF: Ferrer def. Goffin 6-2,4-6,6-3

David G. can take some positives from this one. He took a set from the Last Mohican. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
This was a solid match, both are great fighters and you always know that will bring something on the court.

Goffin looks really promising, especially on clay courts. He will reach Round 4 at the French Open again.

Ferrer played solid, not as good as yesterday, but very focused especially in early set 1 and 3 to lead 3-0 immediately.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
bah. That first service game of the third set decided it, getting those two lines was crucial for Ferrer (even if Goffin should have played the first one anyway). It was a great chance for a M1000 SF (and with #16 on the line, too), but Goffin wasn't good enough today.

·
Registered
21,934 Posts
Goffin redlined his game for a set, but there was only going to be one winner here. He broke his own momentum at *5-2 15-0 with an awful point in which he should've won the point three consecutive times and would have lost the set hadn't it been for Ferrer screwing up. Ferrer broke himself at 5-1 in the third, but luckily served it out comfortably on his second try.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Too bad. I was hoping Goffin would win this one after the second set.

·
Premium Member
8,489 Posts
Nice result

·
Registered
4,667 Posts

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I didn't see the match but am glad that Goffin was able to take a set off Ferrer. He's giving the top guys a much harder fight, I think he should feel good heading into FO, great result here and a little lucky with the Murray WO and saving MPs against Tsonga due to some timely net cord action.

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also, david finally picks up decent points at a big event. these will help him balance things out after wimbledon and all those points he has to defend start coming up

hopefully he can grab decent points at the french and during the grass season as well

·
Registered
11,840 Posts
Goffin was never winning this match, even after the 2nd set. He was lucky Murray withdrew otherwise he would have been beaten in the previous round.

Ferrer has had a good tournament but I can't see him going any further.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Enjoyable match. Goffin started off nervously (no surprise given it was his first Masters QF) but when he settled into the match he played good points.

Ferrer always seemed to be the likely winner though and was in control of sets 1 and 3, pleased he's through to another Masters SF. :yeah:

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
ferrer 4th in the race?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts