Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unbelievable stuff.

To those who don't know yet, Cecchinato just got in last minute in Rome masters qualies thanks to several withdrawals. He obviously knew while playing and although the first set looked pretty even he was already not giving 100% but still ok, consider he squandered an early break and Pavlasek was at least serving ok and making him move. In the second set Cecchinato effortlessly got the early lead, gave it back easily but Pavlasek wasn't able to stay at that drillings level the match was being played on.
Third set was just blatant tank and took Pavlasek about 7 BPs iirc to finish Cecchinato. Pav started going down 15*-40 in the first game but Cecchinato was hardly interested in getting those balls back, Pav gets the 1-0. From that point on it's just Cecchinato serving as slow as possible but not to the point of getting a lack of effort penalty, threw in a lot of second serves to give Pav the chance to attack him but Pav was returnin from the moon and Cecchinato had often no choice but to put those easy put away in and get a free point as even a 10 yo would hit winners from those balls Pav was feeding him. Pav must have noticed something wasn't excatly ok with Cecchinato (duh) and started going for drop shots which helped him a lot as it was the perfect excuse fom Cecchinato not to run after those or put a very simple ball on the other side of the net. Too bad Pav was so bad that he simply couldn't break Cecchinato who at that point was playing so hearth-lighted that as soon as he got the slightest angle to the ball Pavlasek just couldn't stay in the rally.

Just to name a couple of pts: Cecch had a super easy volley in the second game of the 3rd with an open court and hit long by a distance.
Another gem was Cecchinato returning back one of the many drop shots with a very easy ball that Pav could lob and so he did, the ball resulted in a down the line lob winner at which Pavlasek celebrated like he was Nadal and he had just won the FO. Absolutelty nut stuff, makes you wonder whether he understood what Cecchinato was trying to do at all. Don't think he's the brightest bulb out there.

Another question would be how on earth did Brown (and also Ymer for that matter) lose to him 6-3 6-2 as the german is not even in the Rome masters qualies.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't Cecc play both Rome Garden and Rome Masters Qualifying the same day last year?
Cecchinato had MD WC last year. In recent years I recall Muller playing the final and QR1 on the same day, losing to Janowicz in the CH and beating a then half injuried Pospisil only to give a w/o the following they. It was the 2012. Cipolla once did something similar but playing the pre-qualies iirc.

·
MONSOON season.
82,211 Posts
I am fully convinced that Cecchinato would have lost with an easier scoreline if he had wanted to tank.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am fully convinced that Cecchinato would have lost with an easier scoreline if he had wanted to tank.
I'm far from being the 'tank' guy, had no bets on the match and I've no bias here. I'm just asking anyone who's not convinced about the tank to actually watch it, just the third. He couldn't have tried more to gift it to Pav. One can say the fastest way would have been a straight double fault mid set to end that farce but I think he just wanted to avoid giving it to him so blatantly and probably didn't even expect Pav to not being able to convert on those second serves. Among all the BPs it has to be said he hit an ace, no idea how much on purpose though, the other serves are there to see.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm far from being the 'tank' guy, had no bets on the match and I've no bias here. I'm just asking anyone who's not convinced about the tank to actually watch it, just the third. He couldn't have tried more to gift it to Pav. One can say the fastest way would have been a straight double fault mid set to end that farce but I think he just wanted to avoid giving it to him so blatantly.
Pavlasek was beyond awful, would have lost to a futures journeyman the way he was playing.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,408 Posts
Didn't Cecc play both Rome Garden and Rome Masters Qualifying the same day last year?
Cecchinato had MD WC last year. In recent years I recall Muller playing the final and QR1 on the same day, losing to Janowicz in the CH and beating a then half injuried Pospisil only to give a w/o the following they. It was the 2012. Cipolla once did something similar but playing the pre-qualies iirc.
yes, he played prequalies for a MD WC and Rome Garden Challenger

i think he had to play 4 matches in 2 days in different venues during that week

·
Banned
70,519 Posts
huge result for adam!

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, he played prequalies for a MD WC and Rome Garden Challenger

i think he had to play 4 matches in 2 days in different venues during that week
You guys are right, I had forgotten. He played two matches in the pre-quali while playing the Garden CH. Beat Marcon 62 63 and Legend Di Mauro 63 64.

http://www.sportlive.it/tennis/tabe...e-qualifcazione-internazionali-roma-2014.html (pdf under RISULTATI)

the two places are even far apart, now I've some vague recall about him saying he used a scooter :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts