Master of masters.

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
With this win, Novak:

-Has the most masters ever (36)
-Won his 5th Rome title
-Added 400 points
-Won his 10th clay masters (5 Rome, 3 Madrid, 2 Monte Carlo)
-Won his 58th big title (four more than Nadal and Federer)
And more.

The USO disqualification will be a blessing in disguise because instead of winning only the USO, Novak will now win Rome and RG, which is a great trade. 1 down, 1 to go.

Also, I know that some people will be talking about how “weak” the draw was, but please recall that peak Schwartzman was way too good for Nadal, while Novak was way too good for peak Schwartzman and beat him in straights. Thank you.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
36th masters overall
5th Rome title
10th clay Masters (only Rafa has more)
81st title
400 points added

AJDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,115 Posts
Schwartzman up double break 3-0 *30-15, absolute implosion.

Then 2 horrible basic UE's at 2S 2-2 15-40* BP's.

Nevermind the MP flop after Djokovic started choking.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Sluggish start, shifted gears, planted seeds of doubt in Diego's head. Held well when needed and took his chances. Only downside were dropshots, but it worked in the big picture I guess, spending Diego more.

#nottoobad

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
The match was over once Schwartzman immediately lost his 2 break lead. Congrats to Djooivic for taking back the Masters record.
On the other hand, I guess we can all agree that either of peak Federer, Nadal, or Djokivic would have cruised through this field without the slightest resistance.

·
23,933 Posts
While Djokovic obviously was the favorite, I still felt Schwartzman had chances on this match. Lead *3-0 in the 1st Set, but didn't even reach the tiebreak. Also a bit too many errors I felt for him in crucial moments. Credit to Djokovic though who did ramp up his offense later on.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
10 clay Masters titles really is impressive.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Not the best of matches. In fact, quite boring in the sense that I felt it was an inevitable outcome from Schwartzman squandering the *3-0 lead in the first set. Very rarely do you see underdogs come back from those situations, no less with no serve and the inability to win many quick points from open play.

It will be interesting to see if Schwartzman builds upon this and/or if he will look back on it as one of the best weeks in his career. I can't see him winning an AMS.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Clayovic

Reactions: DarkoAqua

·
The special one
14,778 Posts
Djokovic struggled with the heavier conditions at the start, going a double break down, but once he recovered from that he was playing his best tennis of the week and was returning very well.

Novak with the outright lead for most Masters titles and will fancy his chances at RG.

Diego had a great week overall beating Nadal on clay, his first but not last masters final for sure.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Diego was completely useless after the first 3 games today. He had one convincing hold at 1:2 in the Second other than that he was under pressure in every Service Game. Yeah I know his serve sucks enormous gorilla dick but he was lacking from the baseline as well today. Especially on Defense. whenever he was on the backfoot he made an error. He couldn’t land a good counterpunch to save his life. Not even against the weak dropshots towards the end he found an answer. Djokovic was far from his best especially in the first set where he made 15 unforced errors off the backhand side alone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Happy for No1e's 5th Rome and record 36th Masters title!

But can't remember last time I saw him playing five times in a row as inconsistent as this week. Slow starts, taking ages to close out sets, not being able to control rallies as usual. Especially against such opposition, with due respect. Even the serving has been better.

He was missing the usual adrenaline. I think still too conscious of what happened in New York.

Hopefully the win has freed him and we'll see him truly "back" in Paris!

·
Registered
12,580 Posts
Unfortunately, the outcome was NID after that marathon of a match last night. Still, Schwartzman saved the tournament planet from Nadal and is the true winner of this tournament.
Congrats to Djokovic for not wasting such an easy draw like he did in New York.

·
Registered
17,751 Posts
Djokovic basically gifted the first set and still won. If Djokovic played like he did at 0-3 80% of the time, he’d be unstoppable.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts