Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This talented young Russian needs a thread.

Born: 07 August 1997
Plays: Right Handed

Won a future earlier this year and just won the Trofeo Bonfiglio.

http://www.itftennis.com/news/177851.aspx

There was no surprise about the fact that the boys’ trophy was going to go home with a Russian player. The only question heading into the final was which one of two 16-year-old Russian’s would be the newly crowned 2014 champion: fifth seed Andrey Rublev or sixth seed Roman Safiullin.
We now know the answer to that question: This year’s boys’ winner is Roman Safiullin, who outplayed compatriot Rublev to win 62 63 in a one hour, 19 minute final.
“This is my first Grade A win,” said Safiullin, who will skip playing the Roland Garros and Wimbledon juniors, but plans to compete at the U.S. Open later in the summer. “Here in Milan, it’s my second time and last year I lost to the eventual champion (Alexander Zverev). Today, I am the champion. That’s why I feel great today, because I proved that I can beat everybody and I’m proud of myself.”
Safiullin’s now collected two junior titles this year with the Trofeo Bonfiglio being his first Grade A level victory. Like Bellis, Safiullin also won the Coffee Bowl trophy in January.
In the first set, Safiullin scored service breaks in the second and eighth games and only lost three points in his own service games. In the second set, Safiullin also broke serve twice, in the fourth and fifth games. It was in the second set, however, that Safiullin suffered his lone service game when he was unable to take advantage of two game points. But he ended the match in style by serving a love game.
“Today I played really good, but I think that I’ve had more luck than Andrey had because I made a bunch of incredible shots and I hit a couple of unbelievable lines,” Safiullin said. “These things happen in tennis so it was a good day for me.”
As for Rublev, this was his second recent final experience, having reached the Grade 1 Trofeo Juan Carlos Ferrero championship match last month."

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
impressive stuff

·
Registered
520 Posts
Roman Safiullin 17y 3m

Tournaments, 8

FU W 18p
FU W 18p
FU W 18p
FU W 18p
FU F 10p
FU S 8p
FU S 8p
FU Q 3p
= 101p, ranking ATP-405

17.11. TUR Futures
24.11. TUR Futures
1.12. TUR Futures

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
having a deep impact on the futures tour so soon...very interesting prospect here

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
i d add a pic though

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
amazing week once again

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Fantastic. This kids year has been brilliant and considering it's his first year as a pro makes it even better. Looking forward to see him playing on the main tour a few times next year and a lot more in the future.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Safiullin will join Youzhny's team for a preseason training camp in Thailand. Also, Donskoy and Ilhan. Good experience for Roman, I think.

In Russia there are quotes that he's guided better than Rublev who's still playing junior tournaments despite the fact that he won several futures events. In the half of the year, Andrey had 3 and Roman only 1 futures title, now Rublev didn't win anything in junior competitions (some finals after beating very average players and losts with American players with uncomparable to his, experience on professional circuit), compared to Roman who made probably the best run for junior player on futures events in XXI century.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts