Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the ITV commentators last night - I think it was Jim Courier - said that Roland Garros will be scheduling a night session from next year. One match only, from 9 pm, I think it was. Is this true? And if so, what do you think of the idea? I personally think it sucks: RG, like Wimbledon, should be a daytime tournament.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I mean I don't like it personally. You can see from this tournament how hard it is to hit through the court; there's going to be a huge advantage to defensive players in the night sessions. I only hope Thiem never has to play any.

Reactions: isidore77

·
24,330 Posts
I like the night matches in Paris. :confused: I think one before midnight is fine I guess, but it's gonna be summer again so surely temperatures would be better? 1 men's match or 2 women's matches in the night could be done. Of course with likely rain delays we may have more night matches forced in.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I thought the locals had a problem with it so that's why it didn't happen before. Any time of the day or night there's tennis, that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Good Idea. I liked the night session matches at RG so far. In May with audience it will be very entertaining. I approve

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't like the night matches as it would mean that a good 5-setter will take 5 hours and end at around 2am in the morning. Most of the european tennis folks will already be asleep by then.

It may be an opportunity to let some no-name players play that late to have some tv coverage in overseas. But can't see any top-match like Nadal - Djokovic to start at 9pm and end at 2am where 80% of the viewers had to go to sleep.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I like the night matches in Paris. :confused: I think one before midnight is fine I guess, but it's gonna be summer again so surely temperatures would be better? 1 men's match or 2 women's matches in the night could be done. Of course with likely rain delays we may have more night matches forced in.
It can be but in Paris temperature falls considerably during the night, even in summer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No problem if it happens in summer and starts at 9pm, not beyond. For me, as Spaniard, is ideal that prime time 9pm-1am.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
They already announced one match in night session starting 2021. ;) it s almost sure

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't so much mind a 7-7.30 start, but if they're seriously considering 9 pm that's a major difference. I mean, the Thiem-Schwartzman match would have finished at gone 2 am, which is not on. And surely they'd want the big name players on that late, because otherwise would the spectators be interested enough to stay? What happens if you only have the one match, at 9 pm, and it turns out to be a 6-1, 6-2, 6-0 beatdown?

My impression of the French over the years is that 8 pm dinner is pretty sacrosanct, and then they go to bed a couple of hours later. Unless that's changed, I wonder how interested they will be in a night tennis session?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts