Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been very negative on Murray's recovery for most of this season, but I'm going to shock some of my fellow Murray fans and finally find the bright side.

+720 points is always nice for some ranking cushion, but more than that, his wins here were a good sign. Other than wins against a slumping Tsonga, an injured Almagro and erstwhile punching bags Flopez and Simon, all of Murray's wins against top 30ish players this season have come right here at RG. Granted, he made each more difficult than it seemed they need to be, but he came through each of them in the end, breaking the pattern of him completely collapsing from a winning position against quality opponents. He very well could have lost to any of Kohli, Verdasco, and Monfils. Instead he lived up to his seeding for once.

For any observant Murray watchers, it's been clear that stamina has been an issue all year, and Andy's confidence has been low as a result. Here he's made it through many five BO5, often long, grueling matches before his energy reserves were depleted, which seems to be good improvement. I completely disregard his performance against Nadal here as a result of his lack of energy- he showed how competitive he could be a few weeks ago against Nadal in Rome when he is fresh.

All of this should boost his confidence heading grass season where rallies will be less grinding and where he has such a great couple of years.

So head up, keep going Champ! :yeah:

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Is this a joke or what? A new low for Murphy if being massacred by Nadal is his highpoint.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I've been very negative on Murray's recovery for most of this season, but I'm going to shock some of my fellow Murray fans and finally find the bright side.

+720 points is always nice for some ranking cushion, but more than that, his wins here were a good sign. Other than wins against a slumping Tsonga, an injured Almagro and erstwhile punching bags Flopez and Simon, all of Murray's wins against top 30ish players this season have come right here at RG. Granted, he made each more difficult than it seemed they need to be, but he came through each of them in the end, breaking the pattern of him completely collapsing from a winning position against quality opponents. He very well could have lost to any of Kohli, Verdasco, and Monfils. Instead he lived up to his seeding for once.

For any observant Murray watchers, it's been clear that stamina has been an issue all year, and Andy's confidence has been low as a result. Here he's made it through many five BO5, often long, grueling matches before his energy reserves were depleted, which seems to be good improvement. I completely disregard his performance against Nadal here as a result of his lack of energy- he showed how competitive he could be a few weeks ago against Nadal in Rome when he is fresh.

All of this should boost his confidence heading grass season where rallies will be less grinding and where he has such a great couple of years.

So head up, keep going Champ! :yeah:
Completely agree, it's been an excellent tournament. I think that's fairly obvious, but this place is so riddled with trolls that you'd never know it. His game is back and at times he played sensational tennis.

Nothing left for today, and it was a plain poor performance, though Nadal was terrific.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I agree, OP. Some great stuff from Andy this week, and physically he seems not to be suffering from any back trouble, which is great news. Conditioning is an issue, but that should improve over time.

Today's match was a terrible beating, but Rafa was on fire and it is tough for almost everyone in these circumstances. Nevertheless, I don't really understand why he was unable to return Rafa's serve, which is presumably not something that requires huge reserves of energy

·
23,063 Posts
Nice performance by Murray here. Had a very risky draw after not being here last year, but has been very good during the rounds before it -- Kohli, Verdasco and Monfils could've eliminated him but he did some of his best tennis of the year here. While I would've liked to have him be more consistent (lapses here have been evident) it was a good run. Little sad though about his match against Nadal because I felt that I believe he has what it takes to at least take a Set off Nadal and he does have the mentality that he could win this. Let us see how he goes in the Grass season.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts
Is this a joke or what? A new low for Murphy if being massacred by Nadal is his highpoint.
I think the fact he gained 720 points, leaped back up to #5 in the rankings and has finally gotten back into some great form outweighs getting thrashed by a great Nadal.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I am positively surprised with Andy at RG, he was horrible barely top 10 in 1st months, but this RG was great and i have him again as No.1 favorit for Wimbledon, he should be fine on grass. It really looks like he needed few months time to find his rhytm and form and baseline game again

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Agree with most here. Great tournament for Andy.

At the start of the tournament I was thinking R4 would be a good result for him so to make the SF was fantastic. Yes the Nadal loss was a bit of an embarrassment, but even at his best Andy was never beating Nadal in that kind of form in those sorts of conditions.

It'd be unrealistic to expect him to dominate the grass like last year, but if he can do well at Queens and have a solid Wimbledon campaign I am now confident he will finish top 8 at the end of the year.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was trying to quote/reply to a comment but it seems to have disappeared? Something about a great result for Murray coachless. I was just going to agree, equalling his best showing at RG roundwise is another encouraging sign.

·
Registered
180 Posts
His goal was to be ready for wimby. I think he is. He'll probably be hugging and kissing the grass courts of Queens when he gets there.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
If you think that that is what the OP is saying here then you really are a complete idiot.

He really should be able to take confidence from his run here on what is by far his worst surface. He now goes on to his best surface so results and performances will likely only improve.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Generally agree with the OP, especially regarding Murray's significant improvement from earlier in the year and promising prospects in more favorable grass conditions, but completely disregarding today's match in favor or Murray-Nadal Rome '14 would give a false impression of just how strong Murray can be on clay. Yes, Murray was gassed today after Nadal dominated him early, but OTOH Nadal was suffering from horrendous confidence issues going into that match in Rome and played hideous tennis in the first set there. Getting an accurate picture of Murray's prospects on clay against an elite clay courter isn't really possible when looking at either of these matches.

·
Registered
755 Posts
i would have said yes.
but then he decided to tank a slam SF:facepalm::facepalm:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Its weird how Murray's 2 best clay seasons have come when he didn't have a coach, Dani Vallverdu has been in charge for both clay seasons...

·
Registered
15,733 Posts

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Delusional murray tards thinking Clayray will win Wimbledon:spit:
Last year: Delusional murray tards thinking Murray will ever win Wimbledon
Year before that: Delusional murray tards thinking Murray will ever win any slam.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts