Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer was in cruise control for most of the match. Dzumhur doesn't really have the game to trouble Federer. Federer was broken when serving for the second set, but he redeemed himself the next game.

On court for less than 1:30, so couldn't have gone any better.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Yeah, he was auto-pilot saving energy for a potential match-up with Gael, which he'll need.

·
Super Moderator
62,010 Posts
Easy win for Fed against an opponent not able to test him properly. Should have plenty of energy left for the 2nd week.

Well done by Dzumhur getting to R3 as the first Bosnian, and playing some good tennis there :yeah:

·
Registered
21,785 Posts
A good quality match. Federer's FH looked very sharp today, that's something we don't see that often nowadays, so that's a positive. Backhand was solid as it has been since the new racket change. First serve % needs improvement though, if he is to beat Monfils/Cuevas. The R4 will be very tough, especially if it's against Monfils. I hope he manages to pull that off. We'll see. The set point Federer won in 2nd set was beautiful. Some really nice points in this match. Dzumhur played well I thought, came to the net often, was successful in many dropshots, that's good, but overall of course not good enough to beat Fed.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Roger's probably encountering back problem. But he's not gonna perform like a crying bitch like Dull.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
His FH is a shadow of what it once was, but his greater use of the net makes up for some of the loss.

His serve must improve though if he wants to beat the likes of Monfils.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
what makes you think he is encountering back problems atm?
You never know with Federer, because he is the quiet type when it comes to health problems. His serve seemed kind of powerless though, I have always said he should not tire himself out on the very physical clay season, but I suppose it is tempting when you have an open draw to the final.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
A good quality match. Federer's FH looked very sharp today, that's something we don't see that often nowadays, so that's a positive. Backhand was solid as it has been since the new racket change. First serve % needs improvement though, if he is to beat Monfils/Cuevas. The R4 will be very tough, especially if it's against Monfils. I hope he manages to pull that off. We'll see. The set point Federer won in 2nd set was beautiful. Some really nice points in this match. Dzumhur played well I thought, came to the net often, was successful in many dropshots, that's good, but overall of course not good enough to beat Fed.

I think all problems Fed has with his FH is in his head. Maybe all years he was on top of the game and the pressure he had plus his family since 2009 made him less motivated . At the end he got it that not everything in this life is tennis and his kids gave him a lot more. The kids always change the life of their parents. Always!

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
You never know with Federer, because he is the quiet type when it comes to health problems. His serve seemed kind of powerless though, I have always said he should not tire himself out on the very physical clay season, but I suppose it is tempting when you have an open draw to the final.

He has no back problems now. It was very windy there.
He will need his serve next rounds a lot. This match was
a practice for him.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts