Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even a (quite) rusty RBA was well enough to beat Paire in straights. One could see he was in control of the match (a bit too much sometimes, lacking firepower). But he did produce very few errors and was a real metronome out there, as usual.

Two things about Paire: 1. his attitude won't get him the wins, that's for sure. He is a complete moron and probably thinks too highly of himself. I know it's not new, but he was all kinds of douchey today, for no real reason.
2. He needs to stop dropshoting against RBA: he was owned 90% of the time he used that shot. They were all returned and became winners for RBA. It all proves he is a braniless player, as opposed to RBA.

For all of those reasons, this result was unavoidable.

Keep going, RBA! :hearts:
There's no reason he couldn't beat Berdych for the 3rd time. But he'll need to be more agressive than against Paire.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Good for the sport

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bautista Agut will be a real threat to Berdych in the next round if Tomas progresses, he's already beaten him on hard this year.

It's a shame that Paire has struggled so much lately, I find him entertaining and of course running around his forehand to use the backhand is pretty unique. Hopefully he gets back on track.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Paire is a unique, creative player. Bautista is another relentless, dull machine. Who do you think gets the more success in today's tennis? You guessed it! The lifeless robot of course! Tennis needs some talent badly to come through and light a spark.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paire is a unique, creative player. Bautista is another relentless, dull machine. Who do you think gets the more success in today's tennis? You guessed it! The lifeless robot of course! Tennis needs some talent badly to come through and light a spark.
RBA has talent and is everything but your typical spanish clay-court player. The fact that he doesn't ballbash or isn't as aggressive as Federer doesn't make him untalented.
Try harder.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
RBA plays smart tennis, works hard and can actually construct points. Paire is an inconsistent brainless player who´s getting blown off the court very often. Logically, who´s more succesful?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Obviously neither of you will ever understand so there is little point arguing.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
good win, Roberto. Your nemesis is waiting in the QF... :devil: kidding. Hope he can take Berd out again.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
That's a strong point you're making.
What else is there to be said? We view tennis differently. I prefer attractive, flashy tennis to solid, consistent tennis. I support the game with my hear and get very passionate about it. I like seeing strong personalities and beautiful winners over someone who you can rely on, but who will never be very exciting. I don't support players based on their reliability.

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
Bautista Agut plays good tennis. He has great defensive skills and he knows how to use the court to construct a point. And yes, he can hit winners. As anyone who watches tennis ought to know by now, trying to hit a winner on every other point is not the way to win a match. Having twice as many winners as your opponent means nothing if you also have four times as many UEs.

The difference between the two in this match was that Agut played aggressively when he needed to, rather than when he wanted to. Look at the stats: Paire had 47 winners and 67 UEs. RBA had 23 winners and 16 UEs. Paire wanted to cut the points short and hit lots of winners, even when his court position wasn't right. Unfortunately for him, he was not playing a Challenger-level opponent with average retrieval skills, so his uncontrolled aggression backfired. If you cannot consistently hit the ball in the court, you deserve to lose.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The thing is I'm not a tennis analyst. I'm merely a fan of the game and I support with my heart rather than my head. It's quite obvious why Paire lost, any idiot can see that. That doesn't mean I'm going to support RBA because he's more logical.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bautista Agut plays good tennis. He has great defensive skills and he knows how to use the court to construct a point. And yes, he can hit winners. As anyone who watches tennis ought to know by now, trying to hit a winner on every other point is not the way to win a match. Having twice as many winners as your opponent means nothing if you also have four times as many UEs.

The difference between the two in this match was that Agut played aggressively when he needed to, rather than when he wanted to. Look at the stats: Paire had 47 winners and 67 UEs. RBA had 23 winners and 16 UEs. Paire wanted to cut the points short and hit lots of winners, even when his court position wasn't right. Unfortunately for him, he was not playing a Challenger-level opponent with average retrieval skills, so his uncontrolled aggression backfired. If you cannot consistently hit the ball in the court, you deserve to lose.
Perfectly summarized and analyzed. :yeah:

Controlled aggressivity > mindless aggressivity , any day. All the greatest players (I'm not including RBA in that list of GOATs, obviously) are able to do the damage (hit the winner) when they are in a good position to do so. What Paire produces is exactly the opposite of smart tennis.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The thing is I'm not a tennis analyst. I'm merely a fan of the game and I support with my heart rather than my head. It's quite obvious why Paire lost, any idiot can see that. That doesn't mean I'm going to support RBA because he's more logical.
Are you implying I and other RBA (casual) fans are glory-hunters? With RBA? Good stuff.

You can be both appreciative of ultra-offensive and smart tennis. One is not exclusive to the other. RBA is the equivalent of Jazz in music: it's not something that catches you automatically, it takes its time. You also appreciate RBA for his precision and generally stoical attitude, that's a style.
It's good to have variety in tennis.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts