Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On paper looked like horror match-up for Nishioka. And first set proves that thesis, young Japanese boy had hard life, constantly pushed to deep defense by Berdych's overwhelming power - enough to say that Nishioka had 0 winners in first set.

But when he finally managed to win game, he relaxed a bit and it looked like he can sustain in rallies, but on the other hand he doesn't have anything to create any threat for player of Berdych's caliber. When Berdych was stepping in with higher gear to break, sets were over.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
People have been raving about Nishioka for a while now, especially when compared with some of his peers. This match is a much better indication of where his game is than the Challengers he's been having his way with for some time, so I'm glad it happened.

Berdych through in fine form, seemingly able to turn it up against his young competitor completely at will. To Nishioka's credit though, he did show improvements from the second set onward, and started hitting the ball much deeper. I expected that he would simply go quietly.

·
Banned
237 Posts
Let's face it - Berdych was generous enough to grant the Jap 8 games. I felt quite bad for the little guy after the first set. Tomas could have triple bagelled him, but decided not to and rather took the match as a practice session. Onwards and upwards. 6 matches left.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Allez OrangeDych! :D Routine win for Berdy, stretching his wings. Funnily enough, he hasn't lost in the first round of a Grand Slam since he joined Twitter :cool::p

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Let's face it - Berdych was generous enough to grant the Jap 8 games. I felt quite bad for the little guy after the first set. Tomas could have triple bagelled him, but decided not to and rather took the match as a practice session. Onwards and upwards. 6 matches left.
Stupid content + racist word, a good combo right there. Preserved so that you won't be able to edit that word out later. ;)

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Sexy boy :hearts:.

Tomas with Dani has changed his serve motion a little I noticed. His % was pretty good and needs to keep being that good as he goes on :yeah:.

·
Banned
237 Posts
Stupid content + racist word, a good combo right there. Preserved so that you won't be able to edit that word out later you filthy fuck ;)
I beg your pardon?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
On a serious note, Berdych had some pretty awesome shots in this one. A bit too many UEs for his fans' liking, but he's not in a shaky form at all.

·
Registered
18,097 Posts
Yeah, this was NID. Horrible draw for Nishioka, good job qualifying anyway and he should do well during the rest of the year.

As for Berdych, should keep going until at least QF.

·
23,494 Posts
I was actually thinking that Berdych could actually have triple bagelled Nishioka -- Nishioka's game at the start really doesn't hurt Berdych, but Berdych just has the power to push guys who just can't yet absorb that kind of pace and attack well. Nishioka looked nervous at first but Berdych really was in the zone that 1st Set. 2nd Set though Nishioka finally wins a game and did start to become more free and actually hit the ball harder but Berdych seemed to have lowered his level in that second Set and actually could've been broken. Berdych was able to break Nishioka in the right time though and after that it seems Berdych was able to find his groove again. For now I don't see anything big about Nishioka -- good BH, but other than that not sure what he could bring to the table, although he does have some good moments with net play. For Berdych, well he has shown that he won't let this guy easy and was in good rhthym in the 1st Set. Funny how many Young Guns Berdych had faced this year (Chung, Nishioka, Donati, and Ymer(I'm not sure though) to name a few). :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts