Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it determine who is GOAT? Unlike others I don't think Djokovic is a shoe in for Australia as think Tsitsipas may be destined but regardless I don't think it necessarily makes much difference to GOAT debate.
If Djokovic fails it stays 22-21. However If by chance he wins RG to make It 22-22 he would have TCGS so hard to argue he would be GOAT then. If he beat Nadal on the way its undisputed.
If its 22-22 going into RG well the same applies above but would be even more sealed as Djokovic if he won the event would be 23-22.
If Nadal wins Roland Garros then it's 23-22 or 23-21. Either way he is GOAT.
So basically Roland Garros 2023 looks like it will be the title decider.
Or do people think they will be during out in 2024 as well?

· WOAT Predictor
4,720 Posts

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No according to user @Kralingen 2022 French Open / Roland Garros already determined the GOAT (Look here: GOAT debate is over. Congratulations Rafael Nadal | Mens Tennis Forums).That was the GOAT decider

End of story.
Well I disagree. I can't see how 2022 can be the decider the way Djokovic is playing as he clearly can challenge this year at RG.
I think we all should agree it all boils down to RG2023. Makes it more exciting.
The only fly in the ointment I can see is Alcaraz.

· WOAT Predictor
4,720 Posts
Well I disagree. I can't see how 2022 can be the decider the way Djokovic is playing as he clearly can challenge this year at RG.
I think we all should agree it all boils down to RG2023. Makes it more exciting.
The only fly in the ointment I can see is Alcaraz.
I agree that this Australian Open's outcome does not change much. The outcome of the remaining three majors has a bigger influence.

I just hope Djokovic can handle his injury as he did in the last two rounds. He did not look that well at all. Hope that the painkillers do not take a toll on him.

Reactions: Tennisfan3

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nadal still has big arguments even at 22-22. His astonishing 21-11 combined slam pigeoning of Djokovic and Federer is hard to overlook. Slam winner will settle GOAT race. Nadal will do absolutely everything in his power to peak for French Open.
If Djokovic gets a TCGS and it's 22-22 I think Djokovic has the edge tbh.
If neither wins FO and its 22-22 I'd give the edge Nadal personally. But I can't see anyone winning FO other than one of them tbh

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that this Australian Open's outcome does not change much. The outcome of the remaining three majors has a bigger influence.
Tennis fans need to lobby US to let Djokovic play. Personally I'd love the final shoot out to be on Ashe the best stadium in tennis. The farce in the US needs to stop now.
I'm ignoring Wimbledon as I doubt Nadal will play this year on grass.

· Registered
695 Posts
If Djokovic gets a TCGS and it's 22-22 I think Djokovic has the edge tbh.
If neither wins FO and its 22-22 I'd give the edge Nadal personally. But I can't see anyone winning FO other than one of them tbh
They would both have arguments but can it really be settled if both players are on the same slam count? It reminds me when all big 3 were on 20 and I found it impossible to really know who was GOAT.

· Future Prime Minister
16,222 Posts
Interested to see if Murray plays. If he does he can do some damage.

Maybe play 1 or 2 of the warm up tournaments to see if Clayray in ON in 2023.
Play a few HC tournaments then concentrate on grass and a good Wimbledon run. I honestly wouldn't be sad to never see him on a clay court ever again. Does too much damage to his hip

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nah, we both know Novak doesnt need to pass Baldy to be the GOAT. Someone with only 5YE, 209weeks and 0 ATP finals cant be GOAT. Deep down u know that.
Don't chicken out lol. 22-22 would settle nothing. Nadal would be the happier player for sure in my view but why settle at 22-22. Roland Garros can settle it. Are NoleFam brave enough to settle it once and for all at Roland Garros and admit that will be the title decider.
Or do they want Novak to win in Melbourne and retire so there will always be doubt.
I say we all man up and settle it in June. One way or the other.

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If Djokovic gets his 22nd slam he's GOAT (I still think he is anyway despite having 1 slam less than Nadal) because he leads Nadal in every other major Stat (weeks at no1, YE no1, Masters, WTF, career titles etc)
Nope. Can't be GOAT mid season if level on Majors. That's nonsense. That's why I started the thread.
Interesting very few Djokovic fans willing to agree to let RG 2023 settle it. I say that as I think it's the last Major both will play as things stand. Djooovic can't play USO and Nadal won't play W I don't think.

· Registered
3,445 Posts
Nope. Can't be GOAT mid season if level on Majors. That's nonsense. That's why I started the thread.
Interesting very few Djokovic fans willing to agree to let RG 2023 settle it. I say that as I think it's the last Major both will play as things stand. Djooovic can't play USO and Nadal won't play W I don't think.
you can count me as one who isn’t “willing to agree to let RG 2023 settle it” (whatever that means - who are we to be agreeing/settling anything lol) because of the reasons outlined in my post above. It’s nonsense to decide any slam will definitively settle anything since we don’t know how many more slams they’ll play, slams they’ll face off in, slams they’ll win etc

· Future Prime Minister
16,222 Posts
He leads Nadal in every major Stat outside slams. If they're level on slams then YE no1, weeks at no1 settle it which Novak has more of.

Anyway why do you think RG will be their last slam. Djokovic could go on for another 2-3 years

1 - 20 of 125 Posts