Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally Novak reached the final again... after 4 years.
He is not the favorite, but has decent chances to defeat Nadal on his favorite "terre battue" this coming Sunday.

Please share your thoughts what you feel now.

I am relieved, I believe and know from my experience that he'll be able to do this impossible and mighty task!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I actually think Novak has a great chance for this final. He is playing at a decent level, and Nadal is just playing okay-ish, probably a bit better than Rome, but he has such a cakewalk that nobody could do anything to him. And another important thing is that Novak has been tested, in 2 consecutive matches right before the final, which I think is very good to prepare both physically and mentally for it. He looked fresh in the final set today so I don’t think he would struggle physically on Sunday. The last time Novak was tested early on before the final and Nadal had a cakewalk, yep, 2019 AO. I really hope Novak would come out extremely confident and in the zone right from the get go.

And no pressure Novak, I know about the DCGS, but it’s been there for years now, nothing new, whereas Nadal has to deal with pressure of tying Federer’s 20. I’m excited for the final, really hope he could deliver. I believe in him. This match will be really really important for his legacy: 18, DCGS, finally beating Nadal in RG Final, making a statement right away after receiving that stupid disqualification.

In a year with a pandemic, what a year it will be if he wins on Sunday. Another 2 slams. Double Career Grand Slam. Double Golden Masters. Incoming YE#1. Omg I’m so excited. Novak PLEASEEE.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I will never count Nole out. Stylistically he has the game to bother Nadal and I think he will on Sunday. We don’t have a good gauge of Nadal’s level yet, but he may very well play a good match on Sunday so I am prepared for a battle.

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
I'm really surprised that most Nolefam (and bookies) think that the 5 setter today was a bad thing.

If Novak took that MP in 3rd set,
o Everyone would have him as favorite (additional pressure).
o He wouldn't face adversity before the final (Match vs Busta was completely different thing - medical issue)
o Last but no least, I feel that he was getting way too comfortable and he was lowering the gas before the end of the matches vs Khachanov, Busta and today vs Stefan. Well, today he got reminded that "it ain't over til it's over"
In other words, mentally he should be better prepared now than if he won in 3 sets.

Physically, obviously would be much better if he finished hour and half earlier, but I'm not worried too much here. Especially since we all know he has a great team (and after seeing how he recovered quickly (in 15-16 hours) after the semi vs RBA to play Raonic in the Cincy final)

·
Registered
17,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all of your thoughts.
We all know why Nadal could win in the 2012 and 2014 finals (though Nadal dominated the latter, but it was still a close match).
Now the conditions will favor a bit more Novak and tactically he should be really adjusted to this more aggressive version of Nadal.
There have been some really good omens for Novak that this time he won't collapse mentally – he cannot afford a choke on MP (if he will get there) like in the Tsitsipas match, as Nadal would come back real fast even possibly 2 sets down.

I count on Novak to come out all guns blasing and attacking Nadal's FH+BH, the latter more as it showed vulnarable in his last 2 matches.
Dropshots and clutch serving will be very important, and to avoid the Nadal slice as much as possible, do not get into slice-slice battles, as he might lose them more often than on HC/grass.
Being aware of the net, only to go in if the approach shot was well-prepared, so he won't get passed easily. This has been often an issue in these RG Nadal matches, but also vs Wawrinka.
Overall he should be confident to withstand the Nadal FH, as historically his BH has been the best tool for that.

I just wish that he remembers all the clay victories vs Nadal in his mind and forgets the RG defeats. He should be very focused and his ease of mind will be helpful to overcome it, should he get into a crisis situation or into a deep hole. The very positive thing what I remember for this, Nadal equalized the score in the 2015 QF 1st set to 5-5, but Novak didn't panic and broke again to serve the set out.
This should be his motto: always keep calm and try to read Nadal's game.

Yeah, I agree that physically he should be fine. He will be more than ready to take on Nadal tomorrow.

Reactions: 2MatchPointsDown

·
Registered
17,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As I really want to show my real colors: there hasn't been a more ideal time and occasion as tomorrow for Novak to defeat Nadal in a RG final.
Provided it won't be too windy, he should cope with the conditions and Nadal's game.
Should he not succeed, there can be only 2 reasons:
1. Nadal outplayed him and tactics didn't work
2. nerves got to him.

Just hoping that neither will happen, praying that Nole will lift the trophy tomorrow!

·
Registered
17,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So our hopes were completely shattered, but Novak really made a blow on his legacy today.
He probably couldn't beat Nadal even with his peak clay game today, but he could have won at least a set and of course avoided the bagel.
His conditioning for slower courts is not what it used to be, coupled it with failed tactics again.
The 2012 final was not a winnable match, but the 2013 semi and the 2014 final were close, but Nole failed to get to apply the pressure at the right time, and the Nadal forehand was getting the better of him. Just like today.
This was an abysmal performance for 2 sets, and Novak went for too much, instead of playing tactically well on clay, tried to hit Nadal off the court, which was on this slow one especially impossible. Nadal thanked it and just bagged so many games easily, because both his groundies couldn't miss and were penetrated shots near the baseline.
For me this loss will be for ever on par with the 2013 semi, with one difference: I could always rewatch that match, but never this one. This was enough to witness only once.

I do believe that nerves also got to him big time.

·
Registered
17,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He said at the presser: "I felt well throughout the entire tournament. I thought I was in great form. Certainly, I could have played better, especially in the first two sets. But he did surprise me with the way he was playing" – so Novak deluded himself into the belief that his level was great and his usual clay tennis (what he used to play esp. in Rome and RG) would be enough?
That was a huge mistake, he should have woken up way before the end of 2nd set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts