Mens Tennis Forums banner

Choke of the year

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a ruins thread, so keep it clean.

So barring some crazy match at the end of this tournament, we have our two contenders for chok of the year: Rogie 40-15 versus Meddy 5-1 match point.

The question is, which one takes the title? Of course 40-15 was higher stakes because of the occasion, but Meddy’s fall was somewhat more shocking given the score and Rafa’s third set form up to that point.

My verdict: Rogie missed out on the wimby trophy but edges out the consolation prize of choke of the year by a hair. Discuss.

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both fairly epic chokes. Roger’s choke much more significant, agreed, but Medvedev gave up a significantly larger lead and had a larger collapse in level. Going with Medvedev overall.
Agreed, and I think it is fair to go either way, but I’m sticking with my original opinion of Rogie by a hair

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rogie had two championship points on his serve.
Med had one MP on opponent's serve.

Rogie wins. Not even close.

Fair but Meddy did serve for it twice. Plus his match point was at 5 freaking 1

·
Your visions will happen
50,103 Posts
RR match vs Grand Slam Final, easy answer. No one will remember this choke in 3 months, while Roger's will echo throughout the ages

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mischa Zverev d. Nikola Kuhn 4-6, 7-5, 2-2 RET., Miami Open, R1.
Kuhn was leading 5-2 in the second set, then failed to serve for the match twice, while wasting 8 MPs against an awful Mischa (on a very long losing streak at the time, I think this one was his first win in 2019). After that epic choke in the 2nd set, Kuhn fell to the ground in the 3rd, some problems with breathing and stuff, and had to retire. It was really hilarious, I put my money on Mischa pre-match, and I still feel guilty about winning that bet, imo it was a worse choke than these two. Choking to Nadal and Djokovic is not good, but choking to goddamn Mischa Zverev is another level.

Also I think that Rogie's choke is worse than the Medvedev's one. 40-15 on his serve, on his best surface, in his favourite slam, with full crowd support and with his servebotting skills, it's just pretty terrible choke.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
IMO, Medvedev's is significantly worse aside from the occassion. Federer's was just two points, against one of the best returners ever. Nadal lacks the ability to make the kind of offensive return that Djokovic does, and so Medvedev should have easily served it out - he had two games in which he could have done so. And MTF has recently claimed he has a Kyrgios-level serve so...

But I agree with JG - it is Fed's one that will be remembered. Med's wasn't a championship match and he will have lots of other chances to win Nitto which is a lesser tournament than slams anyway.

·
|
15,485 Posts
Did Rafa choke too? Because Rafa lost the first 4 games of the 3rd Set....
Its normal for players go to on streaks during a match, and yet it looks like fans only care about who goes on the last streak (even though Rafa didn't really finish on a streak, because Medvedev won his last service game to force the tiebreaker).

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did Rafa choke too? Because Rafa lost the first 4 games of the 3rd Set....
Its normal for players go to on streaks during a match, and yet it looks like fans only care about who goes on the last streak (even though Rafa didn't really finish on a streak, because Medvedev won his last service game to force the tiebreaker).
Come on man, I freely admit that Nadal is goat and this match shows his champion heart (Rogie would have folded like a cheap tent at 5-1), but Meddy clearly choked

·
Registered
333 Posts
This is sort of like the GOAT debate. i.e. who’s greater, fed or Djok? Federer. Who’s better? Djokovic.
With the choking, Medvedev’s was probably more impressive, but Federer’s was historic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Depends on how you define the bigger choke.

Context vs Scale?

If it's context, then it's Federer. If it's scale, then it's Medvedev.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For me it s Medvedev choke but vs Lajovic not vs Nadal .It s one thing to loose from 5-1 vs world No 1 in PR match but another to win just one game from 5-1 in Masters semi final vs challenger mug like Lajovic

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depends on how you define the bigger choke.

Context vs Scale?

If it's context, then it's Federer. If it's scale, then it's Medvedev.
Yep, so which one prevails for the coveted title of choke of the year?

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Biggest choke (in context and scale) is probably MTF mods in failing to ban OP for continued trolling and bashing

Alright I’ll take the bait - how am I trolling or bashing? As you can see this thread has been very civil with good discourse until you joined, so maybe you should be banned?

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Mischa Zverev d. Nikola Kuhn 4-6, 7-5, 2-2 RET., Miami Open, R1.
Kuhn was leading 5-2 in the second set, then failed to serve for the match twice, while wasting 8 MPs against an awful Mischa (on a very long losing streak at the time, I think this one was his first win in 2019). After that epic choke in the 2nd set, Kuhn fell to the ground in the 3rd, some problems with breathing and stuff, and had to retire. It was really hilarious, I put my money on Mischa pre-match, and I still feel guilty about winning that bet, imo it was a worse choke than these two. Choking to Nadal and Djokovic is not good, but choking to goddamn Mischa Zverev is another level.

Also I think that Rogie's choke is worse than the Medvedev's one. 40-15 on his serve, on his best surface, in his favourite slam, with full crowd support and with his servebotting skills, it's just pretty terrible choke.
Im pretty sure you didn’t win that bet since retirements don’t count and you just simply got your wager money back. Was the same when I bet on goffin to beat roger in cinci last year. Didn’t lose the bet, got the money back and roger won. Was a Win win for me in the end

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Peak choke would go to Medvedev, but it's important to point out that Frogie didn't only lose 2 match points. He folded like a cheap tent in the first TB (1 missed open court passing shot, 1 easy BH and FH error each) and third set TB in particular (4 really cheap BH errors, I was surprised how cheap they were when I watched the Wimbledon full match video) as well. On the other hand he also came back from 4-2 in the fifth to 2 MP on his serve, so that at least shows some mental power.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts