Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Dominic had no business coming here. he's exhausted from all the matches he's played this season and it showed. right now he just doesnt have it in him anymore to grind out 3 sets. from 6-4, 4-4 he lost 8 games in a row.

i hope he rests and comes back at the US open or winston salem(wherever he choses) refreshed and strong.

this match was pretty much a replay of the final in kitzbuhel in terms of how it started and how it ended

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Toronto R1: Simon def. Thiem 3-6 6-4 6-0

Was quite a good match early on but Thiem seemingly couldn't sustain his impressively high level of shotmaking. Quite like both so was a little disappointed with how tamely it panned out. Didn't expect anything from Thiem here anyway.

Only two other players were bagelled by Simon this season, Gonzalez and Marcora. Good confidence booster for him.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Re: Toronto R1 Simon def Thiem 3/6 6/4 6/0

Expecteed

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
Re: Rogers cup R1: Simon def Thiem 4-6, 6-3, 6-0

expected result. I didn't think Domi could even take a set, frankly (shame about the last set, but, happens to everyone).
He has six days until Cinci... perhaps he should skip it and move to W-S, good chance for some points and more practice for the USO.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts

Happy for Gilles, that should see him seeded for the US open.

Dom needs to get fitter, but I'm sure that will come.

·
Registered
8,408 Posts

After playing 3 weeks on clay and only flying out on Sunday I was surprised that Dom took a set. Unless he makes the main draw he should skip Cinci.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

Saw this one up real close ... Thiem is going to be good. Some really nice aggressive shots. Love his game. Gilles was talking to himself constantly until middle of the second set. Yah, maybe this was the expected result but believe me, Thiem had Simon worried for a while. few breaks

Also, it seemed like the first few games Thiem was still thinking clay .. slipping around a few times ... even trying to knock the dirt of his shoes with his racquet between points LOL

Also, man, this kid doesn't talk much. Don't think he said a word all match.

·
Banned
12,122 Posts

Thiem being gassed after one set, has this ever happened before? Simon couldn't do shit on Thiem's FS

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Also, it seemed like the first few games Thiem was still thinking clay .. slipping around a few times ... even trying to knock the dirt of his shoes with his racquet between points LOL
LOL! Love it!! :lol: Poor Domi, so confused. :hug:

·
Registered
15,930 Posts

I only saw the beginning and found it quite entertaining. But even at that time, Dominic's fatigue was obvious and I have always been questioning his decision to come to Toronto. L'Equipe talks about a (new) injury for Gilles.

Source: http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/Actualites/Simon-c-est-robocop/488042

·
Registered
9,716 Posts

Thiem bad game

bad news for simon to win

·
Registered
1,576 Posts

no rest for domi :D
he will do intense practise the coming days with bresnik and then play cinci...

6:3, 4:6, 0:6 against Gilles Simon. The match was by far not as bad as it had to be expected just three days after Kitzbühel. For quite a long time the shots were quite okay. But the jetlag killed me. You lose concentration. The legs get soft. You sneak around the court like a zombie. The rest of the week we have time to practice. Really looking forward to that. Finally a few days time to work out again, work on my strokes with Günter. Next week Cincinnati.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

op, please edit the result, its not correct....

anyway, nid result on hardcourts imo. simon is more clever on the court right now. and dom might be tired

1 - 20 of 24 Posts