Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to post this in it's own thread because it's so cool! :D Has any other tennis player besides Marat Safin made this list?

Oh, and I can't wait to see these interviews! Sounds like Roger really opened up!

http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=53896&tid=44&t=1
On this occasion, a few days before he would begin defense of his U.S. Open title, he wanted to open himself up in a way that is unique for any top athlete. Inviting a small group of reporters - one each from The Associated Press, CBS, Time, People (he will soon be named to People`s 50 most-beautiful list) and a new avant-garde magazine, Flaunt - Federer talked about tennis and what makes him tick when he`s not playing.
 

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well at least he's getting some media attention in the States. Someone posted on Roger's site that they heard on the radio that everyone was trying to get in and see him practice today, and one kid even slightly injured himself climbing over a tree or something. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
mirkaland said:
I had to post this in it's own thread because it's so cool! :D Has any other tennis player besides Marat Safin made this list?

Oh, and I can't wait to see these interviews! Sounds like Roger really opened up!
That's nice.....and it's about time. I think Roddick, Blake, and Moya have all made that list before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
mirkaland said:
Well at least he's getting some media attention in the States. Someone posted on Roger's site that they heard on the radio that everyone was trying to get in and see him practice today, and one kid even slightly injured himself climbing over a tree or something. :lol:
I guess many are slow to catch on. I hope that PMac and other ESPN idiots will realize that Roger is THE ONE !
 

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PamV said:
That's nice.....and it's about time. I think Roddick, Blake, and Moya have all made that list before.
Really? I remember James Blake, but are you sure Andy did? What's odd is the 2005 list came out earlier this year. So maybe Roger's going to be on the 2006 list? Or maybe there was some other reason he was interviewed by People magazine? :confused: I know they also have a "most intriguing" list too.
 

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PamV said:
I guess many are slow to catch on. I hope that PMac and other ESPN idiots will realize that Roger is THE ONE !
I don't think the ESPN crew are the ones to pick on. They all like Roger v. much. Yeah, when he was on holiday they latched on to Nadal, but I've listend to the entire ESPN crew of commentators this year and they all love Roger. In fact I think there are very few who don't like Roger. But since he chooses not to hawk cars or cameras on TV, or endorse everything under the sun he's not going to be as well known. But that's OK. I'd rather have him know for his great tennis anyway. This other crap is just a distraction anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
mirkaland said:
Really? I remember James Blake, but are you sure Andy did? What's odd is the 2005 list came out earlier this year. So maybe Roger's going to be on the 2006 list? Or maybe there was some other reason he was interviewed by People magazine? :confused: I know they also have a "most intriguing" list too.
This was a long time ago before Andy won the US Open....but I can't remember if it was most beautiful or maybe it was sexiest guys or something like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,671 Posts
mirkaland said:
I don't think the ESPN crew are the ones to pick on.
Some of them are two faced. They act like they love Roger when he's playing and then as soon as Nadal is playing they act like he's the next #1 and Roger is done. As I read him, PMac would love for Roger to fall flat on his face. Cliff seems more genuine to me.
 

·
Miss Fabray
Joined
·
55,507 Posts
PamV said:
That's nice.....and it's about time. I think Roddick, Blake, and Moya have all made that list before.
And Mark Philippoussis too ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: surfpinky

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PamV said:
Some of them are two faced. They act like they love Roger when he's playing and then as soon as Nadal is playing they act like he's the next #1 and Roger is done. As I read him, PMac would love for Roger to fall flat on his face. Cliff seems more genuine to me.
Nah, I don't think so. It's just when Roger isn't playing they're going to talk up whoever is playing. When Andy won DC then he was the favorite on hard courts, when Rafa won Montreal all of a sudden he's gonna dominate on hc. Now since Roger won Cincy he's the favorite again. I like how he has a knack of winning the tournament leading up to a slam (Kyoong before AO, Hamburg before RG, Halle before Wimbledon and now Cincy before USO - I'm not counting Pilot Pen since most of the top players aren't competing), so he's the one everybody is talking about going into the tournament. He's off for six weeks and then boom comes back and wins the first tournament he plays in. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,307 Posts
roger :hearts:
50 most beautiful :woohoo:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts
Yes, they've (espn crew) really gotten into trying to sell whoever. Choke, vomit. But if you listen to their tone of voice, you can tell the diff. between when they're hyping a player vs. having real feelings for Roger. They appreciate that watching Roger is like being paid to be an art critic - awe, swooning, magnificence; whereas Thugs gets the guys hormones revved up. PMac has repeatedly said that he always wants to see Roger play, no matter what & that he'd pay anything to do so.
 

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's really obvious is Gilbert's pimping of Nadal right now. Nothing against Rafa, but it just seems so phony and like Gilbert's just jumping on the bandwagon. Rafa wins one hc tournament and Gilbert's talking about how he's gonna win a lot of tms on hc. The worst though was when one of the commentators on Star Sports said Roger and Rafa would have to play in the finals of Cincy to determine who was the best on hc. :retard: I guess they've forgotten about all the hc titles Roger's won in the last 1-2 years compared to Rafa's 1 title. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
I'm not doubting this news one bit, but isn't it too early to announce that Roger will be on the 50 Most Beautiful People list? That special edition of People magazine comes out in May, and its only August now.

As far as I know, only Carlos Moya and Jan-Michael Gambill have made the list, at least in the last 10 years. I have every single edition of that magazine special edition since 1995. (Don't ask me why, I just collect it :)) Rafter, Blake and Roddick were featured in the "Eligible Bachelors" issue, not the "50 Most Beautiful" issue. For the female pros, only Anna Kournikova and Maria Sharapova (last year) have made it.
 

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
guinevere_79 said:
I'm not doubting this news one bit, but isn't it too early to announce that Roger will be on the 50 Most Beautiful People list? That special edition of People magazine comes out in May, and its only August now.

As far as I know, only Carlos Moya and Jan-Michael Gambill have made the list, at least in the last 10 years. I have every single edition of that magazine special edition since 1995. (Don't ask me why, I just collect it :)) Rafter, Blake and Roddick were featured in the "Eligible Bachelors" issue, not the "50 Most Beautiful" issue. For the female pros, only Anna Kournikova and Maria Sharapova (last year) have made it.
I wondered the same thing. Maybe it's the "most intriguing" list? :confused: Anyway according to that AP article he did meet/interview with People Magazine, so it must be for something. I hope we don't have to wait until next year to find out. :sad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,934 Posts
Roger doesn't need People which is nothing more than a rag to know that he is beautiful. Us fans have thought he was beautful long before People picked up on it. I don't get this notion that Roger isn't popular in the US among fans. When I was in Miami during 03 his practice court was packed.
 

·
1,000 Baby!
Joined
·
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't care...anything that reaches Roger to a wider audience is fine by me. So long as he's comfortable with it. I know these lists are silly, but they really are harmless and I don't see it as having any negative affect on Roger. Roger seems so centered right now that nothing could really affect him in a bad way.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top