Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Federer contemplates desert title duel with Nadal
By Mark Lamport-Stokes
INDIAN WELLS, California, March 18 (Reuters) - Swiss world number one Roger Federer turned his thoughts toward a possible title clash with Spaniard Rafael Nadal for this week's Pacific Life Open after cruising into the fourth round on Tuesday.
The three-times champion delivered a master class in crushing Frenchman Nicolas Mahut 6-1 6-1 and is seeded to meet left-hander Nadal in Sunday's final.
Neither Federer nor second seed and holder Nadal have dropped a set in their first two matches at Indian Wells Tennis Garden and both are eager to win their first ATP titles of the year.
"He's been playing great," Federer told reporters of Nadal's form in the California desert where the muscular Spaniard won last year's final against Serb Novak Djokovic.
"He's been playing consistent and he's been playing more than me so of course you have to expect him to do well here again. I think this surface suits him.
"After I lost here last year, I remember thinking if Rafa doesn't win here something's wrong, and he did. He didn't lose a set. I expect him to do similar things here again this year."

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-7395953,00.html

Q. Do you think his hardcourt game has improved?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, he's improved it since the last few years. The only problem is he seems to always run into a guy who is on an incredible run. Sometimes it's Youzhny, sometimes it was Berdych, and then it was Tsonga at the Australian Open. Guys can take away time from him. He struggles on hardcourt.
That's always gonna happen, but these guys need to step up every time as well. It's not going to happen every week, and Rafa is also going to be there to take it if these guys are not there. This is why Rafa is so strong. He beat Roddick last year, Djokovic last year here. He's proved it on grass, how great a player he is on grass courts and hardcourts, quick courts.
There's no need for him to improve anymore. He's there already.
Q. You've done a great job over the years neutralizing the strong shots, strokes of the opponents like Andy's serve or Agassi's groundies. But is Rafa's forehand, particularly on clay, the toughest stroke you've had to deal with?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, look, I'm not sure if it's just his forehand, you know. Let's say it's more his movement than anything else. His forehand and backhand seems is never going to break down really, especially on clay.
I can't see people talking about him, that that being a weakness. It's amazing what kind of pace he can get off the backhand and how good his defense is off the backhand and how good his slice has become. People underestimate his game entirely.
No, look, it's good. These guys are good stuff. We have seen Agassi's groundies, and there's always somebody new that comes up with something that challenges your game. Rafa, I really think, is his intense movement on the court.
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=48196

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
roger is afraid of djokovic ^^

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
roger is afraid of djokovic ^^
i just pulled a conclussion out of what roger said .

its common sense: he would rather face rafa than nole on a hardcourt...thats if he reaches the final which i hope will happen :)

should be a good match. u know ,roger not being sick and all...

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
i just pulled a conclussion out of what roger said .

its common sense: he would rather face rafa than nole on a hardcourt...thats if he reaches the final which i hope will happen :)

should be a good match. u know ,roger not being sick and all...
Would it be possible to, perhaps, just once in a while open up a thread and not see posts about Djokovic or Roger's mono :)

:retard:

·
Registered
39,787 Posts
classic Federer

people who play good do not get credit
and people who play awful and seem no threat to him are playing great

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
classic Federer

My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
389 Posts
classic Federer

Once again it has been proven that even if Fed says something without any negative content towards anybody, some people will always bash on him...is he supposed to make comments about each and every player to avoid this or what?

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
Once again it has been proven that even if Fed says something without any negative content towards anybody, some people will always bash on him...is he supposed to make comments about each and every player to avoid this or what?
do you really believe he honestly thinks rafa is playing good now?

·
Registered
39,787 Posts
i dont give a fuck about bashing or couldnt care less about people who do, this is just a dumb statement... Rafa is playing the worst tennis of his career atm.. Roger is not dumb and he knows so yes a classic Federer comment

·
Registered
389 Posts
So what,according to the quote all he said was:

„He's been playing great,"
"He's been playing consistent and he's been playing more than me so of course you have to expect him to do well here again. I think this surface suits him.
"After I lost here last year, I remember thinking if Rafa doesn't win here something's wrong, and he did. He didn't lose a set. I expect him to do similar things here again this year."

Now tell me again what's so wrong about that comment of his? I don't get it...:wavey:

·
Registered
39,787 Posts
okay Zak i do it again read slowly and u might understand okay kiddle?

Roger says he is playing great

but

in truth Nadal plays his worst tennis of his life

so see what doesnt add up

or do u need more help?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts