Mens Tennis Forums banner

2921 - 2940 of 2940 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Wow, Rogers exhibition match in Bogota, Colombia had to be cancelled! There have been some anti-government protests and unrest there, and the government declared a curfew in the evening.

Federer and Zverev attended some events and interviews during the day, and it seems they even went to the venue to speak to the fans that were there:

Afterwards, Roger tweeted:

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Roger's Mexico match was HUGE!! :eek: 42,517 people - a record!

Roger won the match 3-6, 6-4, 6-2... But from the pictures it looks like they both really enjoyed themselves. ;)

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
More Federer news -- this time on the business/sponsors/gear front:

Federer has become an investor (and contributing product designer) in a Swiss running shoe company called "On". The company was founded in 2010 in Zurich by some former athletes. Their "Cloud" series of running shoes are popular with some elite endurance athletes (triathlon, Ironman, etc).

Federer became aware of the brand about two years ago (lots of people in Switzerland wear them -- including Mirka!) and he started training in them. Apparently, Federer-designed products will hit the market in 2020.

I think I've seen this logo before, but didn't realize it said "On" -- I was reading it as "DC" :oops:

So I guess Roger is done with Nike for good. A sports reporter on Twitter is saying Federer invested 50 million Swiss Francs into the company (https://twitter.com/ThabetKrir).

You can read more in a New York Times article or if you're not able to access that here's a summary at Yahoo.

Here is On's twiter: https://twitter.com/on_running

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
I may have jumped the gun in saying that Roger is "done with Nike"? He was wearing his Nike running shoes during the match in Mexico:

Makes me wonder: is it that these On sneakers are best for long-distance running, but maybe not for tennis? Will they make tennis shoes in the future? Or will Roger just wear these as off-court shoes? :unsure: Maybe this partnership is not that much about tennis, but about Roger's business venture in the future.

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Roger & Sascha's final Latin America exo was tonight in Quito, Ecuador. It sees that Roger won 6-3, 6-4. It was a much smaller scale event than Mexico, but looks like they both had fun in the pre-match activities and the match:

Roger got the key to the city

Roger & Sascha went to the Mitad del Mundo (“Middle of the World.”) site -- supposedly the middle of the world where the equator is (although modern-day GPS says that the 1970s site is off by a few hundred feet. They played a little tennis and tried to balance an egg.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
More Federer news -- this time on the business/sponsors/gear front:

Federer has become an investor (and contributing product designer) in a Swiss running shoe company called "On". The company was founded in 2010 in Zurich by some former athletes. Their "Cloud" series of running shoes are popular with some elite endurance athletes (triathlon, Ironman, etc).

Federer became aware of the brand about two years ago (lots of people in Switzerland wear them -- including Mirka!) and he started training in them. Apparently, Federer-designed products will hit the market in 2020.

I think I've seen this logo before, but didn't realize it said "On" -- I was reading it as "DC" :oops:

So I guess Roger is done with Nike for good. A sports reporter on Twitter is saying Federer invested 50 million Swiss Francs into the company (https://twitter.com/ThabetKrir).

You can read more in a New York Times article or if you're not able to access that here's a summary at Yahoo.

Here is On's twiter: https://twitter.com/on_running
Is he gettin that RF logo back ?

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
ESPN will bring fans closer than ever to Roger Federer with Roger Federer: Everywhere is Home on Tuesday, Dec. 17, at 8 p.m. ET and unprecedented access to the 38-year-all tennis legend during his recent five-exhibition tour of Latin America. Roger Federer: Everywhere is Home is a captivating portrait of a beloved global hero being embraced by adoring fans everywhere he goes, in a region where he had visited only once before.

ESPN’s Tom Rinaldi hosts the half-hour show, travelling through Latin America with the superstar and his entourage, and conducting multiple interviews during the very intense week-long journey in November.

The show captures many memorable moments on and off the court during that week. A clear standout was the shattering of the record for largest attendance at a single tennis match in history, when 42,517 delirious fans watched Federer tangle in an immense bull fighting stadium in Mexico City with his sparring partner for each match on the trip, young German star Sascha Zverev. Other sold-out, thoroughly festive exhibitions were played in Chile, Argentina and Ecuador. Federer and his team even received a very direct taste of the political unrest currently troubling the region when a match in Bogota, Colombia was abruptly called off just as it was starting, due to a suddenly-imposed 8 p.m. government curfew designed to control brewing street riots.

Reflecting on the journey, Federer himself was enchanted and humbled by the experience, and the overwhelming reception he received everywhere he traveled. “It was an unbelievable and amazing trip, each step along the way as the fans expressed their love of the sport and appreciation for the experience,” said the 20-time Grand Slam champion. “There were so many highlights, it was truly a magical adventure and a blast as well.”

Rinaldi added, “Before this trip, I’d interviewed Federer dozens of times, but on this trip, in planes, locker rooms and hotel suites, and through police motorcades, my understanding of him was almost completely recast. The reach of his fame, the reserves of his energy, the connection he has with fans – and the reservoirs of good will he engenders – all were unlike anything I’d ever witnessed. More than once, fans wept seeing him. At the start of the tour, we asked him why he wanted to do this, at 38 years old and after a long, exhausting season. ‘Motivation,’ was the heart of his answer.

“At the end of the tour, after his fourth straight night with less than four hours sleep, having played his last two matches at altitudes above 7,000 and 9,000 feet, respectively, he was still the most energetic on his entire team. And more motivated than when he’d started.”
Roger Federer: Everywhere is Home was produced in collaboration with TEAM8.

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
LONDON (Reuters) - Roger Federer admits he suffered a “bit of a breakdown” during last month’s tour of Mexico and South America after rioting in Colombian capital Bogota forced him to cancel his exhibition match against Germany’s Alexander Zverev.

The 38-year-old’s five-country tour is covered in broadcaster ESPN’s candid documentary ‘Roger Federer: Everywhere is Home’ which will air on Dec. 17.
It charts the 20-time Grand Slam champion’s journey, including the history-making match in Mexico City bullring when a 42,517 delirious fans watched him take on German Zverev — a record crowd for a tennis match.
One of the most memorable segments of the documentary comes in Bogota when large scale demonstrations and riots led to a curfew imposed by the government, shortly before Federer and Zverev were supposed to start their match.
With a huge crowd already present, Federer reluctantly decided the situation was not safe.
Footage shows Federer walking back to his locker room where he broke down in tears and was hugged by Zverev.
“We went to warm up and were having a blast on the court, but then everything started to get a bit crazy,” Federer said.

“I was thinking is this the best scenario? Because people need to get home and be safe and this was honestly when I knew we shouldn’t play, it was too much stress and pressure for everybody.
“I had a bit of a breakdown. It was not going to be the dream match it was supposed to have been and I could feel it all falling apart at the end. When I came back (to the locker room) I was emotionally wasted.”
Throughout Federer’s illustrious career, visits to South America have been rare with few big tournaments held there.
His tour took in Chile, Argentina, Colombia, Ecuador and Mexico.
“It was an unbelievable and amazing trip, each step along the way as the fans expressed their love of the sport and appreciation for the experience,” the Swiss great said.
“There were so many highlights, it was truly a magical adventure and a blast as well.”

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Roger has won the ATP fan favourite award... again.... for the 17th year in a row! :D

We love you, Rog! :love:

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Roger won GQ's Most Stylish Man of the Decade online contest! :LOL:

As you may recall, Roger won GQ Most Stylish Man of the Year in 2016. While he seemed like a wildcard in that draw, he defeated Kanye West, Ryan Gosling and others, including Tom Hiddleston in the final.

So as a one-time champion, he was put in the draw here. When he was up against Harry Styles in the semis, Roger put a call to action to his fans on Insta-stories.

Of course, Fed fam obliged, and Roger came back from behind to beat Styles and then Timothee Chalamet in the final.
Frankly, Roger kinda walloped the kid... 👀

Now let's hope he starts 2020 like he started 2017!!!! :giggle:

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Seems that this will be Roger's kit for AO 2020: navy and lavender. I think it's cute. :p

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Roger is in Cape Town, SA, for his Match In Africa charity fundraiser with Rafael Nadal. :)

They will play a doubles match as well, with Bill Gates on Roger's team and Trevor Noah on Rafa's

Prior to arriving in Cape Town, he stopped in Namibia to visit a school that his Foundation is helping

·
Premium Member
20,524 Posts
Well it seems the Match in Africa was a huge success :D I didn't see any of it... I think Roger won the singles match but nobody's really talking about the score.
Pre-match pics with members of Roger's family and Rafa's dad:

Two months after setting an attendance record at an exhibition in Mexico, Roger's done it again. ;)

Roger and Rafa after the match.

2921 - 2940 of 2940 Posts