Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this statement he made to DRS ... "losing doesn't hurt like it use to, if I lost a semi-final a couple of years ago it would hurt more, now not so much" what do you guys make of that statement?

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
DRS RADIO...http://www.drs.ch/www/de/drs.html

it's not there any more, it was during the Laureus World Sports Awards and in the schweizer-illustrierte magazine, after the interview the presenters asked if people will be reading into that statement.
What will people be reading into it - two words: TOO MUCH.

If I'm not mistaken I read about this quote, and Roger said so in the context of him being a total headcase in his younger days (which also meant being completely upset after a loss) compared to his coolness of today, where he takes his losses as events that will always happen during a sporter's career. Not nice, but surely not the End of the World. ;)
Just my two cents... :shrug:

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Frankly that doesn't mean anything, maybe he can put the disappointment away faster than before but anyone who thinks he doesn't care as much anymore are pretty deluded people.

Obviously he's not gonna tell the press how devastated he was, just like after the french when he admitted later than he only pulled out of Halle because he was still crushed about the loss

·
Registered
15,930 Posts

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Frankly that doesn't mean anything, maybe he can put the disappointment away faster than before but anyone who thinks he doesn't care as much anymore are pretty deluded people.
Exactly. More the contrary, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd even be more focussed than before on getting his 'job done', especially with parts of the press already writing him off after one loss (in a GS semifinal, no less...)

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Obviously he's not gonna tell the press how devastated he was, just like after the french when he admitted later than he only pulled out of Halle because he was still crushed about the loss
great observation!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I wouldnt think too much about it acaully.

Roger is one of those people who feels he doesnt have to give the whole side to the story. The look on his face when he lost at the AO showed that it hurt. There is no denying that.

Granted, he has achieved alot in his career and winning all the time would come to an end eventually and he knew that.

I think Roger will ether suprise us all and go on a tear and dominate like he used to or he will slowly go down the rankings little by little, still winning, but not the big ones anymore.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Not hurting is BAD for focus, and it's not at all coincidental that he was utterly dominating in the period of greater sensitivity to emotional pain. If that's going down (for whatever reason), I expect him gradually losing motive(s) for keeping his focus too sharp.

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts
You cannot always take things so literally. Roger is a champion, who knows how to win big matches.

He's not going to tip his hand and give anything away that he doesn't want to. I don't blame him a bit for taking a guarded approach with the press. When he returns to the court, his tennis will tell the story.

Until then, it's just talking. He'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
TOO MUCH hurting is bad for focus. Look at Marat now.
If Roger lost motivation he would not plan to play till 35.;)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Hellooooo - This is Roger, the guy who couldn't control his sobbing in Basel after losing to Tim in 2001.

I'm extremely relieved he doesn't do THAT anymore, the kicked puppy dog expression when he lost the French was hard enough, I'm quite happy not to have seen that in AO after losing to NOLE.

·
Registered
644 Posts
7 more days before the king is back on court!!!:banana::rocker: Make it 8 coz I think he'll play his 1st round tuesday evening.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Roger is an alpha who is not very likely to lose motivation easily :) Though he certainly had his share of success/fame/money/you name it... But let's just wait and see :)

As for Mirka, she isn't exactly Miss World, and surely is no match for such an attractive and sexy man as Roger, but actually I know many waaay uglier and nastier women that some pretty decent men are absolutely crazy about... guess it all boils down to individual taste... or maybe that's just why they say that love is blind :) Anyway, I must admit she seems to be a great support to him and they seem devoted to each other, so I guess that's what really counts...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts