Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something I have wonder for a while... How is he so fluent in English, does anyone know? I thought maybe it was a swiss thing, but then I hear Wawrinka speak and he clearly has an obvius accent, and although fluent in English you can tell he has to think about his words etc whereas Federer is genuinely as perfect at speaking English as a native Brit/American/Aussie.

Also, for anyone of another foreign country on here, is Roger this fluent in the other languages he speaks? When he speaks French, or German or Italian for example does he have a clear accent or is he as perfect with those languages as he is with the English.

A random question I know, but it is just something I have always wondered because I genuinely havent seen someone who is foreign so fluent and lacking of an accent before.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
I heard Roger's mother speaks excellent English... ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
218 Posts
He has an accent. That weird quasi-American accent that a lot of Europeans seem to have when they're fluent in English.

He certainly doesn't speak with an English accent.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
This is something I have wonder for a while... How is he so fluent in English, does anyone know? I thought maybe it was a swiss thing, but then I hear Wawrinka speak and he clearly has an obvius accent, and although fluent in English you can tell he has to think about his words etc whereas Federer is genuinely as perfect at speaking English as a native Brit/American/Aussie.
Lol, he is a native/bilingual

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He has an accent. That weird quasi-American accent that a lot of Europeans seem to have when they're fluent in English.

He certainly doesn't speak with an English accent.
Thats what I mean though, he does have a foreign accent the way Wawrinka does. Its incredibly fluent.

·
Registered
363 Posts
His mother is South african I think that would have a large reason behind it, English is taught by a large portion of schools in South Africa.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
His mom probably taught him English when he was a child.

He speaks German because it's the main language in Switzerland along with French.

He doesn't speak fluent Italian, not at all.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Wawa is francophone. Rogi is German-speaking. On the whole, German speakers speak better English than French speakers, even without the advantage of an English-speaking mother.

Roger's English is fluent, but he has quite a strong accent, I think.

His German is amusing. So Swiss when he's talking to Swiss media, but much more standard-sounding, and easier for me to understand when he's giving an interview in Germany.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

Also, for anyone of another foreign country on here, is Roger this fluent in the other languages he speaks? When he speaks French, or German or Italian for example does he have a clear accent or is he as perfect with those languages as he is with the English.

A random question I know, but it is just something I have always wondered because I genuinely havent seen someone who is foreign so fluent and lacking of an accent before.
Yes Federer is fluent in French,German and maybe Italian. All Italian players are good friends of his Seppi,Bolelli,Fogihni and some legends of Italian soccer. I think he loves Rome and very often is there. But he does not like to give interviews
in Italian because it takes him a lot of time after the match.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Wawa is francophone. Rogi is German-speaking. On the whole, German speakers speak better English than French speakers, even without the advantage of an English-speaking mother.

Roger's English is fluent, but he has quite a strong accent, I think.

His German is amusing. So Swiss when he's talking to Swiss media, but much more standard-sounding, and easier for me to understand when he's giving an interview in Germany.
Well said! :yeah:

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
What about Wawrinka's native french? I understand him almost 100% most of the time, while I have huge problems to understand Monfils or Tsonga.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts