Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
2007 TMS Hamburg Final.

Ending Nadal's streak of 81 consecutive clay victories by totally demolisihing him in the last two sets.

At the end 2-6 6-2 6-0.

Was this the most impressive performance of his career?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRsdp-A-Zo
Quite the reaction at the end. :cool: I felt the same way on XBL a few hours ago. Getting that win (in a rather dominating fashion) after being beaten over and over again is sublime.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
The same tired BS that everytime Rafa loses, he is not at his best... really pathetic.
I bet you were on of the guys that claimed Djokovic was tired in the USO 2010 final despite having a day's rest...

surely Nadal can't have been tired after a 4,5 hour marathon on clay the day before the final.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
I'd suggest the 2007 A.O. final against Gonzalez was more impressive than the semi against Roddick. Federer was superb in the semi, but Roddick's tactics were laughable. Gonzo was in much better form than Roddick & didn't give Federer anything. He had to take it.

But yes, the best performance has to be the USO final against Hewitt in 2004.

·
Registered
183 Posts
2007 TMS Hamburg Final.

Ending Nadal's streak of 81 consecutive clay victories by totally demolisihing him in the last two sets.

At the end 2-6 6-2 6-0.

Was this the most impressive performance of his career?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRsdp-A-Zo
against djokovic in the semi-finals of the French open 2011. He was the man in form and the man to beat and Fed did it in style

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Def Nole 2.0 FO 2011, should have def him at US OPEN the same year. Many forget that Fed was the only player to really win over that Nole and in best of 5 matches aswell, Legendary stuff.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
AO 2007 Semi v Roddick

It was a strange lead-up to it, where Roddick had been getting closer to Federer in each of the matches they played leading up to it. Took a set off him in TMS. Beat him at Kooyong - boy did the sports writers love that, when it came time for the Semi lots of them seemed to be picking Roddick, finally thinking he'd somehow caught up to him. They got thrown violently from that bandwagon. This was the first match I ever saw in person at the Aussie Open too, spine tingling stuff!

USO 2004 Final v Hewitt

Remember getting up in the morn to watch the delayed telecast on tv - settling in for the start of the match - my dad comes out of his room 'Boy did Hewitt get thrashed!'. He just woke up with the news on the radio. So, so pissed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In the 2004-2007 period you can find an excellent match in almost every tournament he entered.

Recently I think he played a perfect match against an in-form Mardy Fish in Cincy last year. Also the match against Berdych in Paris 2011 (indoors) was pure magic. Berdych played well, but had zero chance.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
AO 2007 Semi v Roddick

It was a strange lead-up to it, where Roddick had been getting closer to Federer in each of the matches they played leading up to it. Took a set off him in TMS. Beat him at Kooyong - boy did the sports writers love that, when it came time for the Semi lots of them seemed to be picking Roddick, finally thinking he'd somehow caught up to him. They got thrown violently from that bandwagon. This was the first match I ever saw in person at the Aussie Open too, spine tingling stuff!
Roddick had match points vs Fed at the Masters Cup in 2006, too. And he have a good effort in the USO 2006 final.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Unfortunately I hardly saw any match in the 2004-2007 era, so the best I've seen are
Djoko Cincy 2009
Murray AO 2010 (best training videotape ever for OHBH given that Andy played pretty much every ball on that side)
Djoko RG 2011

·
Your visions will happen
47,391 Posts
In terms of pure level of play, in wins, the Sampras match in 2001, probably USO 2004 F vs. Hewitt, AO 2007 SF and F vs. Roddick and an on fire Gonzalez, Wimbledon 2005 F vs. Roddick, just annihilation, 2005 USO he was pretty damn good, 06 USO QF vs. Blake was high quality, James was ripping the ball, 06 TMC vs. Blake, destruction, RG 2011 SF vs. Peakovic, I'm sure there are more, oh yeah TMC 03 vs. Agassi, both matches.

In losses, AO 05 vs. Safin, Rome 2006 vs. Nadal, TMC 2005 vs. Nalbandian, vs. Nole Canada 2007, I'm sure there are more.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
I'm watching the Federer/Hewitt USO final now. Just wow. In the first set Hewitt didn't do much wrong but he had to play so far outside his comfort zone and go big because Federer was winning all the rallies.

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
I'd suggest the 2007 A.O. final against Gonzalez was more impressive than the semi against Roddick. [...] Gonzo was in much better form than Roddick & didn't give Federer anything. He had to take it.
Yes, he only choked serving for the 1st set at 40-15.. :facepalm:

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Granted, Hewitt and Roddick often make Federer look like a tennis God ( a similar pattern with Nadal-Berdych), but in those two matches there is no denying that he was at the absolute peak of his powers as Hewitt and especially Roddick was having a good run of form prior to those meeting...RG'11 SF and Murray' AO'10,USO' 08 are honorable mentions..

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Yes, he only choked serving for the 1st set at 40-15.. :facepalm:
Did nothing wrong on the first set point and missed a big FH on the second.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts