Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ST. PETERSBURG (Reuters) - World tennis number one Roger Federer won the prestigious Laureus Sportsman of the Year award for a record fourth year in a row on Monday.

Fellow tennis number one Justine Henin was named the best Sportswoman for the first time, ahead of last year's winner, world and Olympic pole vault champion Yelena Isinbayeva.

Lewis Hamilton took the Breakthrough of the Year award for his remarkable debut season in Formula One, while a fellow Briton, long-distance runner Paula Radcliffe, was named the Comeback Athlete of the Year.

Rugby world champions South Africa won the Team of the Year award.

The winners were announced at a gala ceremony attended by Russian President Vladimir Putin at St Petersburg's famous Mariinsky Theatre.

(Reporting by Gennady Fyodorov; editing by Trevor Huggins)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/tennisNews/idUKFYO84975820080218

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
good for tennis. YAY

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am pleased he won it this year as well. My guess is, no one has won this award 4 consecutive years. Am I right? But this could be the last year he would be winning.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
what?:confused:

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Well done

will probably be his last :tape:

get back on the tennis courts Roger for crying out loud :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
:yeah: Probably his last one but definitely a great achievement.

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
I am pleased he won it this year as well. My guess is, no one has won this award 4 consecutive years. Am I right? But this could be the last year he would be winning.
No, Roger is the first one who won the award 4 consecutive years. Tiger Woods and Michael Schumacher both won it twice and Lance Armstrong once.

Federer wins Laureus World Sportsman of Year award

Agence France-Presse
First Posted 02/18/2008

SAINT PETERSBURG, Russia -- Roger Federer won the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year award for 2008 here on Monday.

The Swiss star won three out of four Grand Slam tournaments in 2007, at Wimbledon and the US and Australian Opens, and was the losing finalist in the French Open.

He also won the season-ending Masters in Shanghai and finished the year World No.1 for the fourth time in a row.

It was also the fourth straight year he has taken the Laureus world award, the first man to do so.

The list of winners at the Laureus World Sports Awards for 2008 announced here on Monday:

• World Sportsman of the Year -- Roger Federer (Switzerland - tennis)
• World Sportswoman of the Year --Justine Henin (Belgium - tennis)
• World Team of the Year -- South Africa (rugby union)
• World Breakthrough of the Year -- Lewis Hamilton (Britain - Formula One)
• World Comeback of the Year -- Paula Radcliffe (Britain - athletics)
• World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability -- Esther Vergeer (Netherlands - wheelchair tennis)
• World Action Sportsperson of the Year -- Shaun White (United States - skateboarding)
Congrats to all the winners :) Nice to see three tennis players receiving the trophy.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
2 British winners :eek:

nice to see its been held in St Muzzasburg

;)

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
No, Roger is the first one who won the award 4 consecutive years. Tiger Woods and Michael Schumacher both won it twice and Lance Armstrong once.

Congrats to all the winners :) Nice to see three tennis players receiving the trophy.
Thanks for posting that. Wasn't Djokovic nominated for Breakthrough player of the year. Looks like he didn't win it. Didn't Nadal win it the year he was nominated:p:p

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Wasn't Djokovic nominated for Breakthrough player of the year. Looks like he didn't win it.
Yes, he was nominated. When I have read it right he was even announced to be amongst the guests

Didn't Nadal win it the year he was nominated:p:p
Rafa was voted as Breakthrough players of the year in 2006. I don't know if he was nominated earlier on as well.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
• World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability -- Esther Vergeer (Netherlands - wheelchair tennis)
:worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Congrats Roger:worship::worship:

sad for Kaká :sad::sad:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts