Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novak Djokovic was the defending champion and successfully defended his title, defeating Roger Federer in 4 hours and 57 minutes, 7–6(5), 1–6, 7–6(4), 4–6, 13–12(3), the longest singles final in Wimbledon history and the second longest Grand Slam final in history behind only the 2012 Australian Open final. This was the first Wimbledon where a final set tie break rule was introduced. Upon reaching 12–all in the fifth set, a classic tie break would be played. The men's singles final was the first final, as well as the first singles match, in which the new rule came into effect, with Djokovic winning the tiebreak 7−3. This match was named the greatest men's tennis match of the 2010s by Tennis Magazine.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
60% of this forum will not want to watch any of this!

Seriously, Roger Federer looked great outhere (as he did in the SF), i think Novak Djokovic didn't expect such fierce opposition and had to dig extremely deep, his level in the tiebreaks was quite extraordinary.

Probably the last really great match from the Swiss.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
it was a terrible match,Djokovic was only 70 percent of his peak,and almost lost,but then still won

the only thing to remember about this match is how the supposedly goat can fuck up 3 tiebreaks in a single match

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I can summarize it in three words: better player lost

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Not even close to the greatest match of all-time.

2008 Wimbledon final (Nadal vs Federer)
2001 US Open quarterfinal (Sampras vs Agassi)

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
Weird match.

Djoker played at like 70% and really only won because of the scoring system.

He looked ill-prepped, almost unprepared for the match.

Of course he bossed the tiebreaks, but those were really his only truly great patches of play. And he sure rode his luck to get to the last of them.

Federer almost played as well as in the semifinal, and 1 game before the final set tiebreak all his shotmaking wonders came out of him, but he missed the final inch on an audacious BH pass attempt, the like of which he had hit against Murray 4 years earlier.

Reactions: Break point Dom.

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
If the outcome had been different, damn just 1 point. The narrative would have been polar opposite and this would be called one of the greatest match of all time...
for sure not

·
Premium Member
11,505 Posts
Federer fans just need to focus on the point at 17:05 and pretend that was every point.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Weird match.

Djoker played at like 70% and really only won because of the scoring system.

He looked ill-prepped, almost unprepared for the match.

Of course he bossed the tiebreaks, but those were really his only truly great patches of play. And he sure rode his luck to get to the last of them.

Federer almost played as well as in the semifinal, and 1 game before the final set tiebreak all his shotmaking wonders came out of him, but he missed the final inch on an audacious BH pass attempt, the like of which he had hit against Murray 4 years earlier.
For me Novak Djokovic was his usual arrogant self and was unprepared to face such stern opposition. At the time of the match i thought it was just the pressure as it was, lets face it, one of the biggest match in tennis history. But now, and keeping in mind what happened since early 2019 and particularly FO 2020, i think it was just arrogance. Goran Ivanisevic is a toxic person to have in your team.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If the outcome had been different, damn just 1 point. The narrative would have been polar opposite and this would be called one of the greatest match of all time...
For a match to be considered GOAT level, the players themselves have to be close to their respective peak levels. Examples are WB 08 F, AO 09 F, AO 12 F, FO 13 F. In this match, neither was close to his peak. Djokovic far below, in fact.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I can still feel the pain.

While rewatching, I was surprised how many chances Djokovic wasted, too.

I don't mind so much about the wasted match points, but the last tiebreak was inexcusable from Federer. What a shame.

Reactions: Kowchi

·
Registered
1 Posts
What an honor to watch the two of the greatest men's tennis players of all time.. Their rivalry is well known and they played against each other so many times, but I never get tired of watching. Such a source of pride for Djokovic to beat Federer. I watched the match twice because I always like to rewatch when these two play. Like most people, I have to say, I love Federer the most. He is an iconic athlete and his road to fame is incredible. From a ball boy to a tennis legend. Amazing, I love consistency. I read books about him, his biography on The Tennis Fanatic and on other sites. I felt sorry for him and for the fact that he didn't win...but I know he'll come back much stronger and determined to win every match.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Another great match ruined by the ridiculous scoring system in tennis.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts