Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alexander Zverev arrived at the Rolex Shanghai Masters without having made an ATP Masters 1000 semi-final all year. In the quarter-finals, he faced a tough test against two-time champion Roger Federer. But despite letting slip five match points in the second set, the German battled hard for a 6-3, 6-7(7), 6-3 victory against the 38-year-old Swiss, who had never previously lost a Shanghai quarter-final (5-1).
Zverev served for the match at 6-3, 6-5 40/0, but Federer raised his level, with two sensational volleys in particular helping him to win the next five points and then save two additional match points in the tie-break. But the German settled down and continued to play the aggressive tennis that earned him the lead in the first place, using that to triumph after two hours and four minutes. Zverev (4-3) joined Rafael Nadal (24-16) and Novak Djokovic (now 26-23) as the three active players with at least seven matches and a winning FedEx ATP Head2Head record against Federer.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thank you for posting about this match. This was one of my personal favourite matches of Zverev's. Zverev nearly choked, but a win is a win, especially against one of the greatest players ever. :cool:

·
10,387 Posts
Lame match

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
That Federer comeback in the 2nd set is one of the best passages of play you will ever see, but the rest of the match was not great. I remember Zverev serving quite well, which was a big surprise, and Roger playing bad for the most part.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Isn't Federer a magician at the net? His volleying skills are just superb.

Reactions: Tennis Library

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
This match wasn’t all that as Federer was absolutely awful the whole time bar the very end of the second set where he decided to not play like a complete retard then went back to playing with his racquet up his ass in the third. Also that point penalty was one of the biggest bullshit calls I’ve ever seen.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
If we are talking about ATP matches, I believe Thiem vs Novak was the best when you include both quality and drama.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
This match wasn’t all that as Federer was absolutely awful the whole time bar the very end of the second set where he decided to not play like a complete retard then went back to playing with his racquet up his ass in the third. Also that point penalty was one of the biggest bullshit calls I’ve ever seen.
It was not the highest quality match from Zverev's side, either, but it was an important match for Zverev mentally - he could have easily went away after choking away the second set, but he stayed the course and won the match. It was in direct contrast to some of his previous matches.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It was not the highest quality match from Zverev's side, either, but it was an important match for Zverev mentally - he could have easily went away after choking away the second set, but he stayed the course and won the match. It was in direct contrast to some of his previous matches.
That is true as Zverev was not even half as good as he was in 2018,2017 and was losing to mugs all the time so it did help him a lot to take out a big 3 member confidence wise for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts