21,210 Posts
Re: Roger Federer to play Istanbul Cup

Disgusting.

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

They made an offer to Rafael Nadal as well but he said his clay season is too full and it's impossible for him to play even if they pay too much.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts

Noble to sacrifice his clay season in order to promote the game.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

Sacrifice his clay season? Why? Coz it's 40min longer flight than anywhere else in Europe? :spit:

That must be my last chance to see the guy playing live, so i start packing already.

Have my most important tourney ending on Sunday 26th, but Roger won't be playing before Tuesday, so it's perfect.

Thank you Roger!!

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

There will be an official statement according to Garanti Koza in a few days.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts

he already did that in the past, play Estoril rather than Monte-Carlo ... potentially he can play more matches to get some rhythm on clay there. And he has more time to practise before starting on clay.

I remember in 2010 when he came back in Roma to play in first round against Gulbis, he was not ready enough and I think he had to play Estoril to get rhythm on clay.

Anyway if he does that, it's 100% certain he will not play Monte-Carlo (not a surprise anyway)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts

Come on guys. Its not about the money, he has that. 90M

Its about winning another clay title which he has less.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

lol, is this for real? :unsure: crazy choice imo

·
Registered
12,123 Posts

Come on guys. Its not about the money, he has that. 90M

Its about winning another clay title which he has less.
it's also about money of course, but I think the main reason is taking more time to practise before starting on clay rather than play Monte-Carlo, and still not arriving in Madrid without any matches on clay as he did in 2010.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts

Turkerer taking fat cheque for apperance fees, but officialy people will hail him what a legend wanting to show his skills to tennis hungry Turkish fans - for top player of his caliber it doesn´t make any sense - i mean his chances to win RG are minimal anyway, but with his age he should be playing fewer events - i mean Madrid, Rome and RG during clay season only to be rested for grass season and possible Wimby attack - no point for him to waste energy in Instanbul, but money is money

·
Your visions will happen
46,467 Posts

He isn't playing Monte Carlo right? Should be fine

·
Registered
21,275 Posts

Possiblity of MC->Istanbul->Rome->RG ?

With a week of break between each tournament. Could do without MC and Miami.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts

it's also about money of course, but I think the main reason is taking more time to practise before starting on clay rather than play Monte-Carlo, and still not arriving in Madrid without any matches on clay as he did in 2010.
Why not play MC? He has a final to defend. I think hell take a wc for MC

·
Registered
12,123 Posts

Why not play MC? He has a final to defend. I think hell take a wc for MC
Since Monte-Carlo has become optional, he's only put it on his schedule once : in 2011, rest of the time he skipped it (2010-2012-2013) or took a wild-card (2009-2014)

He doesn't have to care about points to defend because his short-term ranking situation is all right, he has to think about longer term first, and he's said that training blocks have been his priority for around one year, and two more weeks before starting competition on clay allows one more training block after Miami (or after Indian Wells if ever he skips Miami).

Anyway no way would he play Monte-Carlo+Istanbul.

1 - 20 of 275 Posts