Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live tennis fans saw Andy Roddick manage to overcome his injury problems as he beat Denis Kudla 6-7 7-6 6-4 in the second round of the SAP Open in San Jose.

Roddick had been forced to retire in the second round of last month’s Australian Open when he was playing Australia’s Lleyton Hewitt because of a hamstring injury but picked up an ankle problem in the second set of his game against the Ukrainian-born Kudla.

He had to have a brace placed around the ankle, before winning a second-set tiebreaker and then edging the decisive third set.

"The best thing I did was just exist out there,'' Roddick said after his victory.

"When you first go down with an injury, you don't know how it's going to feel until you take those first couple of steps. Unfortunately, it's become all too familiar recently. I didn't want to stop. I'm really sick of doing that.''
Roddick fired down 14 aces on his way to the third round.

Meanwhile, top seed Gael Monfils of France was forced to withdraw from the tournament with right knee inflammation that also looks set to keep him out of next week’s competition in Memphis.

Teenager Ryan Harrison knocked the eighth-seeded Olivier Rochus of Belgium out, the 19-year-old eventually winning 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 but Sam Querrey was beaten by Russia's Denis Istomin 5-7, 6-3, 7-5. Julien Benneteau of France ended Ryan Sweeting’s tournament, something which delighted fans taking advantage of tennis betting offers, eventually taking the encounter 7-6, 7-6.

Defending SAP Open champion Milos Raonic of Canada beat Germany's Tobias Kamke 6-2, 7-6.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts