Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andy Roddick admits he has lower expectations than usual at this month's Australian Open after struggling with injuries and poor form for the last 12 months.

The 29-year-old started the tournament with a straightforward 6-3 6-4 6-1 victory over Robin Haase, hitting 35 winners and breaking the Dutchman's serve six times.

However, the 15th-seeded American, who has slipped to 16 in the world rankings and has won through to the final at Melbourne four times in the past, is not expecting a repeat this year after only playing exhibition live tennis matches in the build-up to the tournament.

"I'm not 23 anymore, and it's a little more of a process," he said. "What I used to be able to do in three weeks maybe needs six weeks to get the same end result.

"I didn't feel fit last year. I was 10 or 15 pounds overweight and not strong from the summer on. But at last I feel healthy now."

In 2011, Roddick finished the year outside the top ten for the first time since 2002, although he did manage to win the 30th title of his career when he beat Milos Raonic in Memphis in February, which meant he had won at least one title for 11 successive years.

He has not reached the last four of a Grand Slam since being beaten 16-14 in the fifth set of the 2009 Wimbledon final by Roger Federer and lost to Stan Wawrinka in the fourth round of the Australia Open last year and the trends in online bets suggest punters are not backing him to do so in Melbourne.

He then missed the 2011 French Open at Roland Garros, lost to Feliciano Lopez in the third round of Wimbledon and was beaten by Rafa Nadal in the US Open quarter-finals.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts