Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Players with 10+ SFs.

Nadal (2009)
Roddick (2009)
Djokovic (2011)
Murray (2012)

We've not had a player reach this milestone since Murray did in 2012. Stan had a really good chance here to do it, and to elevate himself into the realm of legends.

Prior to Federer reaching the mark in 2006, the last before him was Sampras/Agassi, both in 1995, a gap of 11 years.

So far the 'gap in true excellence' hasn't yet exceeded the gap between Federer and Sampras/Agassi, which is a bit surprising given all the talk of generation useless, but none of Kuerten's generation managed to achieve this.

Current standings:

Thiem (4), from 6 Quarterfinals.
Nishikori (3), from 12 Quarterfinals.
Raonic (3), from 10 Quarterfinals.
Dimitrov (3), from 5 Quarterfinals.

It looks to me that unless Thiem can get there, (Still a very big IF!), that we might not see another player reach 10. Murray in 2012, could stand a long time, unless Stanimal gets his last one. (he's on 9).

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hasn’t Thiem made 4 straight semis at RG? So he’s on 5 now after today’s win right
I am a bit surprised at the numbers, thought Stan had already gotten there and thought maybe guys like Ferrer and Berdych were also closer to it

On topic i agree that Roddick is underrated but not sure this stat is necessarily the best evidence of that

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On topic i agree that Roddick is underrated but not sure this stat is necessarily the best evidence of that
If you look at the list of players who have achieved this, it's basically a who's who of tennis. Even folks like Hewitt aren't there.

·
Premium Member
11,792 Posts
In before Roddick reached 10+ SFs in a weak era.

Roddick was an amazing player and fun to watch. He would easily be somewhere in this Category of 4-7 slam champions if not for Federer.

·
Registered
19,242 Posts
Wouldnt come close to a semifinal right now unless he got Berrettini USO draw

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Overrated maybe. Or maybe overachieved (Depends on how you look at it)

1. Slow
2. Limited athleticsm
3. No Backhand
4. NO net game
6. No baseline.Net transition game (His feet moved like they were in quick sand)
7. Average at best under pressure (despite his big serve)

·
Registered
416 Posts
In before Roddick reached 10+ SFs in a weak era.

Roddick was an amazing player and fun to watch. He would easily be somewhere in this Category of 4-7 slam champions if not for Federer.
I mean, yeah it WAS a weak era. Aside from his serve and partially his forehand,the rest of his game was utterly pedestrian.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
LOL. The guy would be a top favorite to reach the final from the upper half of the draw and even a chance to win it all if Djokovic has an off day in the final.
Wonder how many know that Roddick has a winning H2H against Djokovic? 5-4, even if the Serbian was seemingly on his way to turning it around.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
Current standings:

Thiem (4), from 6 Quarterfinals.
Nishikori (3), from 12 Quarterfinals.
Raonic (3), from 10 Quarterfinals.
Dimitrov (3), from 5 Quarterfinals.

It looks to me that unless Thiem can get there, (Still a very big IF!), that we might not see another player reach 10. Murray in 2012, could stand a long time, unless Stanimal gets his last one. (he's on 9).
He is a slam winner and former #1 in the world, not sure why you are comparing him with these players.

And about Stan Wawrinka, he has 2 more slams, that is what matters.

·
Registered
735 Posts
He is underrated, although technically one of the worst players. but he manged to win a lot without proper groundstrokes.
He beat Murray, Djokovic and Nadal. He nearly beat Federer.
Ok, Nadal was very young.

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Roddick beat only 1 top 10 player to reach those SFs.

He was lucky to win USO 2003, Nalbandian deserved it.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
David Nalbandian was GOATing in that match, but of course had a mental fart in the tie break, also helped by the NY crowd loudly calling a ball out when it was in. Once David lost this set it was over (also remember he got screwed by a line call in the 5th).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts