Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Agassi explained what most sane tennis historians have been thinking for the last half decade or so.. I'll put this to you;

The leading group of players from 10-12 years ago sans Federer is akin to the second tier of players from Nadal's peak years.

Thoughts? :kiss:

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Roddick/Hewitt/Ferrero/Safin = Wawrinka/JMDP/Soderling/Ferrer

peak vs peak...

Wawrinka > Roddick (although Roddick was more consistent)
JMDP > Hewitt (although Hewitt was more consistent)
Soderling > Ferrero
Safin > Ferrer (except on clay)

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
6 > 2. Of course the players from Fed's generation are better. Despite having to deal with GOAT themselves they still won 6 slams between them.
:haha: Honestly trolling them pocahontaspoops big time.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
To add Nalbandian,Davydenko >>>>>>>>>> Birdbitch,Tsonmuga

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
Most of the posters who think the latter group are superior more than likely never watched the former players at their peak. They are all far superior tennis players than Wawrinka, Del Potro, Soderling and Ferrer.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts

peak vs peak...

Soderling > Ferrero

JMDP better than hewitt? And Söderling over Ferrero? :rolls:
Hewitt in his prime would destroy JMDP. He is even leading the H2H right now. And excuse me, as much as I like Söderling, I think the H2H between Ferrero and him would be in favour of Ferrero, no doubt.
Also, Hewitt's and Ferrero's career achievements are vastly superior.

Stop trying to make a point by manipulating facts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Most of the posters who think the latter group are superior more than likely never watched the former players at their peak. They are all far superior tennis players than Wawrinka, Del Potro, Soderling and Ferrer.
John McEnroe believes that Wawrinka has one of the most powerful backhands he has ever seen.

Except Ferrero vs Soderling, not sure how to compare career achievement of active and retired players.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
JMDP better than hewitt? And Söderling over Ferrero? :rolls:
Hewitt in his prime would destroy JMDP. He is even leading the H2H right now. And excuse me, as much as I like Söderling, I think the H2H between Ferrero and him would be in favour of Ferrero, no doubt.
Also, Hewitt's and Ferrero's career achievements are vastly superior.

Stop trying to make a point by manipulating facts.
I mean peak vs peak how dangerous they were to take out the all-time-greats from the big tournaments.

Believe me peak fed/rafa, etc would prefer to play any version of ferrero on a slam stage than a soderling on fire. The same way they would rather play any version of Hewitt compared to a delpo on fire. Again Hewitt and Ferrero on their average level were more effective to beat the rest of the field, which is a completly different thing.

Hewitt is better tennis player and has an overall much superior career in tennis than JMDP however peak JMDP could challenge the all-time-greats much more than hewitt would..

Ferrero has less weapons to challenge fed, nadal and the likes in comparison to soderling who in a good day could put on fear anybody. Again, ferrero is a superior tennis player career wise.

·
Registered
10,504 Posts
John McEnroe believes that Wawrinka has one of the most powerful backhands he has ever seen.

Except Ferrero vs Soderling, not sure how to compare career achievement of active and retired players.
John McEnroe also believes that Nadal has the best volleys in tennis. This is obviously a troll thread on the back of Agassi's redonkulous remarks yesterday but surely some people can use their own brain.

JMDP > Hewitt is one of the more ludicrous things I've read on here.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
From best to worst of the 8 (both career achievements, peak-level [level of play] and "long-lasting peak-level" [how long the peak lasted/could last] considered):

Hewitt
Roddick
Safin
Wawrinka
Ferrero
JMDP
Söderling
Ferrer

I rest my case.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts

peak vs peak...

Soderling > Ferrero
Ridiculous conclusions. Did you even watch first group play before 2006? Soderling better than Ferrero is an absolute cracker.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
From best to worst of the 8 (both career achievements, peak-level [level of play] and "long-lasting peak-level" [how long the peak lasted/could last] considered):

Hewitt
Roddick
Safin
Wawrinka
Ferrero
JMDP
Söderling
Ferrer

I rest my case.
What matters? on this discussion only matters how dangerous they were to Fed/Rafa and the likes. not how consistent they performed against the rest of the field.

Peak Roddick never challenged Fed (outside the wimby 2009 match, where he choked)
Peak ferrero never challenged fed on latter stages either. Specially not after federer found his tennis.
JMDP always been dangerous for fed.. specially after that 2009 seasson. The same goes for Soderling.

Hewitt is 0-8 vs Fed on slam matches. nuff said..

In terms of how challenging they are to the top, its more like..

JMDP/Safin/Wawrinka ... all very dangerous when on fire..
Soderling .... Dangerous on fire but has more up and downs
Roddick .... dangerous but chokes
Hewitt ... moderately dangerous
Ferrero/Ferrer .... not enough agressive.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
Ridiculous conclusions. Did you even watch first group play before 2006? Soderling better than Ferrero is an absolute cracker.
I watch tennis since I'm 10 years old.. thats 1996.

And peak ferrero was never so aggresive, he played fairly good tennis but I never saw him on fire in the way the likes of JMDP, tsonga, soderling or Wawa were.

late 90's early 00's was some of the most disgusting era tennis could witness.. the transitional era explains it all.. and Fed highly benefited of that..

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Being aggressive doesn't necessarily mean victorious.

What matters, mate, is the capacity to win titles through hard fields and to be able to sustain high level for a whole period in a career, and not simply 3-4 months like JMDP in 2009. (Unlucky circumstances, I know, but sports persons all have to deal with physical problems)

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
And lets not forget Davydenko who is from the same generation has a winning record over dull ;)
yes but only 1 match ahead over a very short span of time, which doesnt measure properly how they would have done if they had to face eachother during all their career, which would have ended up in much higher matches than only 11.

Fed and Rafa have played since 2004... thats about 11 years of span.. and its not only 1 match of advantage, but 23-10 .. which means Rafa won over 70% of matches on a timespan of 11 years and Its 9-2 on slams .. which makes the % even more ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts