Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andy Roddick is a very good tennis players who has had some ups and downs. But he's already at age 23 better than many International Tennis Hall of Fame inductees such as Yannick Noah and that's why Roddick is well on his way to someday being inducted into the International Hall of Fame! :yeah:

Roddick will be hard pressed to duplicate his great 2003 season in which he won the U.S. Open, was ATP Tour Player of the Year and ITF World Champion. But he will win many more titles and have many more big moments in his career. :) But he will likley also have some more down moments becaue if he's not playing his best tennis alot of players can beat him in the grand slams as Gilles Muller proved in the first round of the 2005 U.S. Open. By the way, all ATP Tour players pale in comparision to Roger Federer so Roddick shouldn't feel bad about being outclassed by Federer.

I know things seem bleak for Roddick now after losing in the first round of the 2005 U.S. Open. That had to be the worst moment of his career. :( And his inability to break serve is very frustrating for his fans. :banghead: As is his poor play in tiebreaks this year. It's quite possible Tennischick was right about Andy when she said a year or so ago that Roddick had already played his best tennis and would soon be on the decline. It looks that way at this point. But I still think Roddick can have more high moments in his career. And he's already won the 2003 U.S. Open and been in 2 Wimbledon finals as well been 2003 ATP Tour Player of the Year and 2003 ITF World Champion and he's won a few Masters Series titles as well so he's well on his way to being inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame after he retires. :)

My 2 favorite men's tennis players are Andy Roddick and Marat Safin. :) They are both good guys and very good tennis players. :D But they are frsutrating tennis players for their fans that's for sure! :mad: ;)

I also think that in this troubled world full of sad stories ever day that I have finally learned to put tennis and other pleasurable activities in their proper place because they are relatively unimportant in the scheme of things in this trouble world. This has been the worst tennis summer I have ever experienced as a tennis fan. :( Roddick is slumping. Safin is hurt. Maria Sharapova was injured and backed into #1 and the Russina's as a group are having a terrible summer and year. As a tennis fan this is unfortunate but it's certainly nothing to cry over. But Hurricane Katrina and the devastation it's caused is something to cry over as are other tragedies on the world. :sad: Andy will be fine and I'm sure he realizes his embarrassing loss to Muller in insignificant compared to real problems in the real world.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Re: Roddick fans don't fret over his struggles. Andy's on his way to the Hall of Fame!

I don't fret. More and more I am learning to like other players instead ;)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Roddick fans don't fret over his struggles. Andy's on his way to the Hall of Fame!

But that's bailing out Fumus and that's pretty weak. ;) Andy will have more ups in his career but he will always be vulnerable to some downs because he struggles to break serve. And when someone is holding serve regularly against Roddick they have a good chance to beat him. And that's what Gilles Muller did.

But I hope Roddick now takes a step back from the media spotlight and just concentrates on tennis. Yes Andy is good in television commercials and is very likable. But it's possible he can't live up to the hype year after year and should scale back on his off court activities. Andy's American Express Mojo commercial is a very good. :) But he's being ridiculed for it by the television media because he lost in the first round of the U.S. Open. :eek: Maybe Andy really isn't up to being the saviour of American men's tennis. That's alot to lay on one man.

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts

Although Andy seems to have hit a career low with this loss, I'm not as panicked about it as I thought I'd be. Part of me is hoping maybe this will finally be the straw that broke the camel's back and cause Andy to finally do some serious soul-searching about what he wants out of his career and who can help him become his best. He's not going to f-f-f-fade away as so many here desperately want to see. He will make whatever adjustments and improvements he has to to stay at the top of the game.

Cat, I am going to use your thread to post this terrific article I found. :hatoff:

Happy Trails, Andy
8/31/2005
Peter Bodo's Tennis World

Whoopee ti yi yo, get along, little doggies,
It's your misfortune and none of my own.
Whoopee ti yi yo, get along, little doggies,
You know that Wyoming will be your new home. . .

Just felt like writing that little farewell to Andy Roddick, who crashed out of the U.S. Open last night. Andy’s got a bit of the cowboy in him, right? Meat and Potatoes. Straightforward, in his person as well as in his game. Says what’s on his mind. Gets sideways a little more quickly than some other guys, sure, but he also respects people enough to take them, and their comments or thoughts, seriously.

I guess those traits help explain why so many of TW’s international readers don’t seem to like Andy. It’s funny, but it took me a while to figure out that when my European friends, especially Germans, use the word “cowboy," it’s almost invariably meant as an insult. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Anyway, there was a great deal of schadenfreud after Andy lost—there always is. Andy is disliked for two (related) reasons, it seems. One, he plays a straight-ahead power game; two, he’s an American. :lol: and I've been called paranoid, among other beatific names, for saying the same thing

I don’t understand the animosity toward Andy’s game for a couple of reasons, including the fact that Roger Federer has been cleaning his clock pretty routinely these days. No, Andy’s not the most imaginative, artistic player out there. So what? One of the beauties of tennis is that it features a variety of styles. Seeing those styles clash, especially when they’re embodied in top players, is intriguing and satisfying. Okay, Federer’s the artist, Nadal’s the dynamo, Andy’s the power guy. That’s pretty good balance, no? :yeah: finally, somebody who gets it

Yet here’s the counter-intuitive part—I don’t get any haughty e-mails or comments from Roddick fans (presumably, the uncouth roughnecks in this equation) trashing Federer or Nadal. I guess they’re just more tolerant than our cowboy-hating international friends.

This is also striking because it isn’t as if Americans dominate tennis like they once did. In fact, Roddick is the only kid from the U.S. in the Top 10. So what’s the source of the ill will—it certainly can’t be the “stranglehold” America has on the game. Would it be good for tennis to have no Americans in the Top 10? All I can say, is be careful what you wish for . . . it may come true.

The funny thing about all this is that people appear to care so much—as if breaking the American-Australian stranglehold on the game were an act of broad historical importance. Of course, many of these ankle-biters are the same folks who sanctimoniously wag their fingers when someone overtly ties together politics and sports (precisely what they’re doing), or freak out when one of their own is subjected to comparable treatment.

The comments Andy made after his loss seemed typically honest and appropriately self-questioning. When he was asked how this result reflected his belief that he’s a better player now than he was 12 months ago, he answered:

I feel that way. I feel like, you know, I’ve put in more work in mentally and physically, every which way. I’ve never cared so much as I care now, which makes it tough. You know, last year I didn’t work hard. I didn’t even step up. I wasn’t, you know, training hardly. Somehow, I was sneaking out big points.

This year I just killed it as far as working hard, doing all the right things. You know, I took my lumps . . .​

As far as the X’s and O’s of last night’s loss go, there was one significant observation. Andy said he felt great going into the match, but then somebody asked how he felt going into each of the three tiebreakers. Note the automatic response, followed by a riff that has all the overtones of a confession on a psychiatrist’s couch:

I felt fine. Well, obviously I was a little . . . I was ticked off going into the first one because I didn’t feel like I should have been there(Roddick served for the set at 5-3 and was broken). The second one, obviously your back’s up against the wall. The third one, I got down 5-1 in about 46 seconds, so I wasn’t feeling real good about that . . . So probably “not good” would be a shorter answer for you.​

Oh, you can revel all you want in America’s tennis woes. But if a loss by an American kid named Roddick in the first round of his national championships makes you jump up and down and start tearing out your hair and plucking at your garments in ecstasy, maybe it isn’t really about the tennis for you. :worship: fucking brilliant

·
Registered
13,139 Posts

the cat said:
But that's bailing out Fumus and that's pretty weak. ;) Andy will have more ups in his career but he will always be vulnerable to some downs because he struggles to break serve. And when someone is holding serve regularly against Roddick they have a good chance to beat him. And that's what Gilles Muller did.

WHAT?!? :fiery:

That's not why he lost. Andy lost because he played super tenatively. He was leaving sitters in the middle of the court, and he couldn't hit a bh or ros for shiat, and when he did get the ball in play he was just hopin' Muller would lose and make some mistakes. If Andy was at his best he would smoke Muller. Do you think if Andy was hitting the ball agressively ala Wimbly Final 04' Muller would have stood a chance? Or If Andy was coming to net alot ala Hewitt Cinncy semi final Muller would have stood a chance? I doubt it'

Andy is just very poor at changing a game plan. I mean, Muller played well but I don't think he could beat Andy if Andy played more agressive. Andy played not to lose and Muller stepped up to that task clearly.

It's for these reasons that I don't want to be a fan anymore because he doesn't think sometimes. I know he's better than this and hurts to watch him lose.

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts

where is the Tennis Hall Of Fame located?

·
Registered
13,139 Posts

RDucky said:
where is the Tennis Hall Of Fame located?
It's not in Croatia. ;)

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts

Fumus said:
It's not in Croatia. ;)
well no shit, if it was there, i would not asked where. :wavey:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

Fumus said:
It's not in Croatia. ;)
Good place for a holiday.

Anyway, you should stick with the Duckman.

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts

GeorgeWHitler said:
Good place for a holiday.

Anyway, you should stick with the Duckman.
its great place for holidays...im there every summer for few months. :)

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts

Chloe said:
It's in Yellowknife isn't it?

·
Registered
28,276 Posts

GeorgeWHitler said:
It's in Yellowknife isn't it?
Isn't everything in Yellowknife?

·
Not a Registered User
30,181 Posts

Newport it is.

·
Registered
367 Posts

I'm of the opinion that Andy's backhand will be extremely, but really extremely hard to become a weapon, no matter who or how much the coaching, reason being that it's a shot that Andy learned the wrong way and it was never corrected while he was a kid... Andy tends to lock the elbow and extend the arms on a stiff position, and rarely ever steps into the shot to give it more weigh, causing his backhand shots to fly higher and with relative little power... that's the reason why he will always have trouble with making passing shots from that side and a good volleyer will notice that the high follow through makes Andy's backhand more comfortable with the cross-court passing shot and he usually only attempts the down-the-line pass if dislocated from a good court position... this flawed technique also costs him while volleying, he actually has no trouble with the forehand volley, it's on the backhand side that his volleys lack depth and power... the stiff arms will make his backhand shot never to be as fluid as Marat's double hander, for example, and I believe Andy is doing the right thing running around his backhand and hitting a forehand when presented with a soft placed ball...

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Hey cat, this is what I posted in another thread about Andy and I am still sticking to it.

Well he seems to have understood that his power game is taking him nowhere so he is atleast trying different things like changing the pace of his serve, placement, more serve and volley, changing the pace of his groundies etc.

For example, he used to rarely employ the backhand slice. He is still not comfortable with it but atleast he is trying to use it from time to time. That in my opinion is progress.

Yesterday, he got cornered and hoped that he could blast his way out of trouble because the elements he is trying to improve are not yet natural to him.

If by the age of 28 he has not improved his game then by all means bring up this topic again.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Great post Tangy. :D And thanks for the article I enjoyed it. Peter Bodo has been one of my favorite tennis journalists for a long time. And Bodo made a pertinent point about the animosity towards Roddick's game. That's puzzling to me because so few players in the world of power tennis play a natural enjoyable style of tennis to watch. And Tangy, Bodo's last comment about how some people are in ecstasy over Roddick's shocking loss to Muller not being about tennis was a good one. :) ;)

Fumus I agree with you that Roddick played tentatively against Muller. But that was partly because Muller had Andy defensive and off balance with his serve and ground strokes. And lefty's are usually difficult to play if that have talent as is the case with Muller when he's on his game.

Well said rofe. Andy's backhand is better than it used to be as he can do more with it now. But I don't think his backhand will ever be a weapon for the reasons tennis elbow astutely pointed out.

Yes RDucky, the International Tennis Hall of Fame is located in Newport, Rhode Island.

·
Registered
13,139 Posts

the cat said:
Great post Tangy. :D And thanks for the article I enjoyed it. Peter Bodo has been one of my favorite tennis journalists for a long time. And Bodo made a pertinent point about the animosity towards Roddick's game. That's puzzling to me because so few players in the world of power tennis play a natural enjoyable style of tennis to watch. And Tangy, Bodo's last comment about how some people are in ecstasy over Roddick's shocking loss to Muller not being about tennis was a good one. :) ;)

Fumus I agree with you that Roddick played tentatively against Muller. But that was partly because Muller had Andy defensive and off balance with his serve and ground strokes. And lefty's are usually difficult to play if that have talent as is the case with Muller when he's on his game.

Well said rofe. Andy's backhand is better than it used to be as he can do more with it now. But I don't think his backhand will ever be a weapon for the reasons tennis elbow astutely pointed out.
I remember Roddick bagelling a certain up and coming lefty last year about the same time. Muller played well to beat Andy, to beat Andy even when he's playing defensive takes alot of skill. I will say that, but, c'mon honestly, Andy doesn't change his game plan and watching him play mindless tennis is very frustrating. I hope he learns from this and becomes a better player.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Fumus, most professional tennis players as good as they are play mindless tennis and have a hard time changing game plans. Roddick is no different. If changing game plans was easy to do during a match more tennis players would do it.

·
Registered
557 Posts

No one really care about the Hall of Fame. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts