Mens Tennis Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
So whose opposition sucked more- Andy or Rafa's?

I just saw a bit of this- but it did seem like Andy was just trying stuff out as he said. He did not need to play his best- and therefore did not.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Donna lost to this guy?

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
all Pat McEnroe clones
actually, even HE has criticized andy's passive pansy play these couple of matches

Do you think Andy was just trying out different tactics on this Plexi surface? I mean this guy is trying to win another Grand Slam and the things he has been doing thus far aren't getting the job done.

I mean he could be just testing out a few new tricks, to see what they bring to the table. I mean did anyone really think Roddick was going to lose this match?
The point is that it develops bad habits. Trying new things here or there is one thing, the lobs were hilarious, seeing how the slice works on the surface, etc, all of that is great for the early rounds. But settling into a pattern of playing passive, completely ineffective tennis match after match is quite another - it makes it quite a big ask for him to turn around and all of a sudden start slamming his forehand and flattening out his shots. It'd be silly and unfair to expect him to go out there and play like it's a Slam final, but I think it's not smart - and if it's intentional, a serious serious serious miscalculation - to go out there and play a game style that everyone knows is a losing game for when he meets better players. My mother, who doesn't watch tennis and doesn't understand the rules said to me this morning "Boy, Andy sure is running a lot more than the other guy" - if a complete ignoramus who knows so little about the sport she doesn't even understand the concept of breaking serve can immediately recognize something, that means, to me, that it's a lot more than him simply trying out new things.

Plus, let's be realistic here, he's been playing this way since 2005. The matches where he's really played good aggressive tennis since then can probably be counted on one hand.

So whose opposition sucked more- Andy or Rafa's?
I'd say it is probably about equal, from what I saw :lol:

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Too much Moonballing :rolleyes: I mean it's ok to do that against an opponent who wil self destruct or overplay like Fernando Verdasco. He has to up it from here.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Too much Moonballing :rolleyes:
Yep... it seems to me that Andy's picked up some moonballing virus for a while already, and this virus was surely peaking in today's match.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
Hysterical. Only Andy can blowout a guy and get multiple posts by a few guys about how AWFUL he was (/is). WTG, A-Rod! Keep on marching, keep in winning.
It has nothing to do with not liking Andy. I like Andy plenty, but he didn't play well. Yes he won easily, but that doesn't mean he played well :lol:

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.