·
Registered
5,185 Posts
roddick was ok but not impressive at all
berrer made all tha faults to give roddick the easy points

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Andy didn't really need to play aggressive... He put the ball in play, and 9 times out of 10, Berrer came up with a ridiculous error. Poor match overall.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Do you think Andy was just trying out different tactics on this Plexi surface? I mean this guy is trying to win another Grand Slam and the things he has been doing thus far aren't getting the job done.

I mean he could be just testing out a few new tricks, to see what they bring to the table. I mean did anyone really think Roddick was going to lose this match?

·
Premium Member
25,472 Posts
Do you think Andy was just trying out different tactics on this Plexi surface? I mean this guy is trying to win another Grand Slam and the things he has been doing thus far aren't getting the job done.

I mean he could be just testing out a few new tricks, to see what they bring to the table. I mean did anyone really think Roddick was going to lose this match?
You wouldn't be wrong. From Andy's press conference:

"I had fun out there tonight and I played a bit differently than usual and enjoyed myself," Roddick said.

"[Berrer] was trying to hit the ball hard around the court and it was a good workout ahead of my next match."

"I worked hard in the off-season and I felt my legs were there tonight in the scramble for some points.

"I have played Kohlschreiber a couple of times and I'm aware he has been steadily rising in the rankings and I'm definitely aware of his recent form."

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
What an ugly match. Actually, just the first set; when ESPN2 announce that they'd be showing Federer-Santoro, Blake-Russell, and Baghdatis-Safin tonight, I immediately went to bed.

If Berrer was playing worse in the third than in the first, that's just terrible. Even with Roddick's ultra-scared moonballing, Berrer was bashing error after error in the first set. It even seemed that Andy's serve was weaker, Berrer getting a lot back into play and with good pace but never following up with a brain.

In their current forms, Nadal will destroy Roddick in the rallies, provided Roddick makes it that far. Roddick needs to hit through his forehand a lot more than he has the past two matches.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I highly doubt Andy will be playing the same way vs stiffer competition. Whoever thinks 1r/2r Andy will be showing up for said matches are :cuckoo:.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
What an atrocious match. Berrer was simply embarassing. :eek:

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
I highly doubt Andy will be playing the same way vs stiffer competition. Whoever thinks 1r/2r Andy will be showing up for said matches are :cuckoo:.
Yea, but that Andy has shown up a lot lately in some big matches. So call me crazy but I believe that Andy is going to play well when I see Andy play well.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Roddick always plays lazy in first rounds

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
That's how he gets beat by nobodies.
not really the only time I remember he lost to nobody in Slam early was 2005 UsOpen.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.